It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Papa John's/Dominos/Pizza Hut aint got nothing on this homemade ... from scratch.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I've been told "pics or it didn't happen!"

>.>

Going to have to find the cord/software for my phone since I just reformatted (phone isn't turned on so I can't just mail them to myself)

BUT- here's what I did:

A "white pizza." I rubbed the dough with olive oil and garlic (sounds dirtyyyy

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

no ricotta? :shk:

sounds fantastic, though.
lotta flavors goin' on there.

no ricotta...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

No ricotta
It's not a stromboli or lasagne!

PS: Maybe I'll make a stromboli tomorrow since I only used 1/3 of the dough tonight

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Thanks for posting about pizza, it is that time of year when we consume the most of it. Most of our homes here are not heated no air conditioned either, but in the central highlands of Mexico it gets cold sometimes so we fire up the oven to heat the house and eat a lot of breakfast pizza.

I use pretty much the same formula you provided but make up dough for two or three days and store in the fridge so my rule of thumb for flour and water is 3 to 1. To me a dough that is "reposado" for a couple days has a better flavor and texture so we go the route of preparing a big batch ahead of time.

I was always looking for a "chewy" pizza dough and the formula was somewhat elusive. It is always advisable to knead the dough thoroughly and that was what was suggested to me to make it chewy. I finally found the formula when I cut back to almost no oil at the time of making the dough. I add oil afterward just before cooking, mainly in the bottom of the pizza pan to get a crispy bottom.

We like conventional pizza and use locally-made plates or pans of "barro", a type of terra cotta to cook on. Same for our deep-dish types and use a high-edged pan of barro. We use this deep pan often for our "breakfast pizza" variety though often eat more conventional pizza for breakfast as well. Mexican breakfast rules don't have the anglo restriction of eggs or cereal but substantial dinner type foods. Since I am anglo I've carried some traditions across the border and our breakfast pizza is a deep pan "kitchen sink" sort of affair with pepperoni, chorizo, ham, bacon, and/or any other type of meats, onions, peppers, plus I also pour in a couple beaten eggs before adding the cheese. Most items I put under the cheese but save a little for the top as well.

I usually buy mozzarella cheese but here we have a couple "stretchy" cheeses that are similar like queso Oaxaca and will include a variety of cheese according to what is on-hand, including goat cheese.

We make pizza more often in the colder months but other times of year as well, but one of the "sobrinos", nephews, works for Domino's here in Mexico so is frequently bringing us pizza from his shop. We like our homemade pizzas best, but hey, pizza is great stuff and we'll eat his Domino's pizza when he brings it. ¡Provecho! -Eron

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Actually, in my experience a stone base for oven usage is not optimal. Had many issues with moisture and temperature and sticking dough, even with flour. Metal pan is best, nice thin but consistent flour layer, perfect brown crust and pizza cook every time, my mate who manages a highly regarded fancy local pizza store also swears by metal. Every time we used stone, it didn't work, even when pre heating and baking the crud outta it to dry it out. Perhaps they work best in true wood fire pizza ovens where the raw heat of the flames heats them fast enough. The ceramic/stone material seems to heat slowly but retain it well.

Best of luck with ya newfound favourite, home-cooked takeaway to beat all other takeaway.

edit:I'll make some tomorrow night and chuck the pictures up

edit on 20/12/10 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Super Bowl leftovers, Just got a hankerin' ...., Valentine's Day coming soon ...

Had some leftover dough from yesterday, so tonight was 'pizza night'.

in lieu of the upcoming 'we love your wallet' day:

tha boi just wanted a plain ole' pepperoni

'I ♥ You said with extra cheese, 8 oz of mushrooms and as much pepperoni as i could fit on the damn thing.

Pizza - Gotta Love It.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

My yeast was 1/4 oz., so I cut it down to 3 1/2 cups flour. Cool thread I must say, as you got me to making my own. All I needed was a recipe to get the portions correct and I'd been lazy about that.

Simple tomato sauce did it for me, right out of the can. I also have canned whole peeled toms and I'll use them for a later batch.

The Almost Everything. Pepperoni, jalapenos, meatballs(leftover from the lasagne) and garlic.

Dough. About 8 inches.

Three more mini pies.

In the oven on a stone. I cooked this on a cold stone. It cooked ok, but the next one showed me it's better on a hot stone. The dough gets cooked a little better IMO.

Pizza Pie!!!

I was still hungry so I made a white - olive oil and garlic - with red onions and grated parmesan - the good stuff not the crappy processed junk most people get in the green can.

They may cook even better straight on the rack. I'm used to cooking pies in a restaurant with a stone oven so it's a bit different, about one hundred degrees.

I also need to find a place that have good mozzarella as the stuff I have from the grocery store is kinda crappy.

If I get around to making anything special I'll share some more pics. White spinach is sublime and shrimp florentine is sublime plus heaven.
edit on 2/17/2011 by TheLoony because: PIZZA PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
what a nicely seasoned looking flat stone (how old is she?), oh anna z pizza tua!
suppose there's no need in mentioning what damage a cast iron or two can do... but did juno you can griddle lots of tortillas on a gas stove with the stone?
edit on 20-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X

In Australia, I actually worked at Dominoes for about a year, even earned my Wings (make 2x Supremes, 1x Hawaiian, 1x Pepperoni in 2mins 30seconds).

Some of the trade secrets:

1. The thin crust pizzas are actually factory made shipped frozen
2. There is only a difference of weight and dough rising time in the Classic Crust vs the Deep Pan
a. Deep Pan is about 400g of dough, and sits for 3 whole days in a 4 degree cool room to let the yeast mature, this is how it becomes thick when baked, the more mature yeast makes bigger air pockets in the bread
b. Classic Crust is about 300g of dough, and has to be baked the same day it is made, little time for the yeast to mature takes away that spongy bread, and you are left with the more traditional taste.
3. Pepperoni is the only topping added after cheese, all other toppings go under the cheese, mostly due to the oil pooling effect from pepperoni.
4. Dominoes are incredibly serious about their 100% 24 hour replacement guarantee. My house-mate would call up about 20 hours later the next day, complain about his pizza from the night before, and have a new one sent to him. He would successfully pull this off every single time, it was truly ridiculous, but Dominoes are strictly bound by their corporate policy.

And an awesome ingredient that definitely needs mention:

Buffalo Mozzarella
(mozzarella di bufala)
- Lucky if you can source the Italian stuff....but OH MY it changes the world of Pizza forever, you will definitely find it hard to go back to Cow Mozzarella.

alrighty then, that's some good hard to find info (3 days 4 degrees 400 grams), thanks! who does'nt like bubbles? an di bufala sounds awesome!-will be on the lookout

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

like that
good gyaud man! are those even legal to show in public where your at?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I bet you the Micros on these Pizzas are HUUGE..No thanks

ill stick to whole wheat pita bread
-chicken
-Spinach
-Mushrooms
-Tomato
- Tomato Paste

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SirAmazing

what about the chi-assigio balance?

you might like something along these lines as well and only needs a quick toasting

knackebrod (or matza)
hemp butter, flax oil (or sub. flax with olive or grapeseed)
seasonings
Pillars caliente, coppa or turkey
cheese (gouda, muenster, di bufala)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Before any of you go out thinking your gonna try to recreate that pizza I hope you have a good earthen stone to cook it on or its just not gonna come out the same.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I have no problem making your pizza recipe..

what i want to know is..

What Sauce do you recommend?

because sauce is everything in a good pizza!

I actually like a good white sauce too..
edit on 30-4-2011 by baddmove because: added words

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This thread got me concocting some pies and I've been on the lookout for a good sauce. I bought all the stuff to make the one below but, haven't tried it yet. I think it's safe to say it's pretty good by the reviews its gotten.

www.food.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join