It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is my first post and I thought I'd start out by trying to bring a smile to your face while at the same time addressing something that I experience on an almost daily basis. The CLOSED-MINDED skeptic. The skeptic that "knows", for whatever reason they think they "know", that what I'm suggesting is "impossible"... or "ridiculous"... or "absurd"... or "paranoid"... or whatever, you get my point.

I'm thoroughly fascinated with the "reason" for their closed-mindedness. Their attempts to discredit the whole "thing" by PICKING one small part of the big picture and finding a "normal" way to explain it only make me laugh.

Example (I just made this up and started laughing when I thought of it - I hope it at least brings a smile to your face):

I'm attending a 4th of July picnic in the park. Adults and children are all preoccupied playing games, barbecuing, eating, talking and having a good time. As I walk through the crowd I think I get a strong whiff of gas. I look around and notice that the park is surrounded by the usual office and industrial buildings you find around many parks.

A man I've never met before standing next to me remarks, "isn't this a great celebration?". I acknowledge that it is and continue on to say, "But I'm a little concerned about a strong whiff of gas that I just caught in the breeze. Do you smell anything?". "Ridiculous!" the man exclaims, "you just caught someone's back draft". Right in front of me he winces and lets one rip! He then sniffs the air and says "check that, there's your gas. Quit acting like an uneducated moron and enjoy the party."

God speed ATS!

elFuchs

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Welcome! I did smile at your story. thank you

As for your fascination with those who "KNOW"; well, I just consider the situation and go from there. Personally I am not out to convince anyone of my beliefs (weird or not!), if anyone agrees with me great, if they dont, great

There is a saying that if we all leaned in the same direction, the world would tip
At the very least be boring!!!!

Again, welcome to ATS, which is NEVER boring!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by elFuchs
This is my first post and I thought I'd start out by trying to bring a smile to your face while at the same time addressing something that I experience on an almost daily basis. The CLOSED-MINDED skeptic. The skeptic that "knows", for whatever reason they think they "know", that what I'm suggesting is "impossible"... or "ridiculous"... or "absurd"... or "paranoid"... or whatever, you get my point.

I'm thoroughly fascinated with the "reason" for their closed-mindedness. Their attempts to discredit the whole "thing" by PICKING one small part of the big picture and finding a "normal" way to explain it only make me laugh.

Example (I just made this up and started laughing when I thought of it - I hope it at least brings a smile to your face):

I'm attending a 4th of July picnic in the park. Adults and children are all preoccupied playing games, barbecuing, eating, talking and having a good time. As I walk through the crowd I think I get a strong whiff of gas. I look around and notice that the park is surrounded by the usual office and industrial buildings you find around many parks.

A man I've never met before standing next to me remarks, "isn't this a great celebration?". I acknowledge that it is and continue on to say, "But I'm a little concerned about a strong whiff of gas that I just caught in the breeze. Do you smell anything?". "Ridiculous!" the man exclaims, "you just caught someone's back draft". Right in front of me he winces and lets one rip! He then sniffs the air and says "check that, there's your gas. Quit acting like an uneducated moron and enjoy the party."

God speed ATS!

elFuchs

Welcome aboard! I smiled at your story too. There are a lot of people who if their apartment building is burning down will want to grab a bag of marshmallows or hot dogs and do a cookout - it's like they won't accept reality.

A lot of time that denial is the difference between surviving or being the guest of honor at a funeral!

Anyway, glad to have you join the nuthouse LOL!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Casing

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I'm glad you smiled
Yes, I gave up the hammer a long time ago. I do still occassionally find myself reaching for and politely applying a crowbar.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Thanks. Hope you don't mind if I borrow those quotes when I'm offline at the watercooler. They're awesome. They've probably been around for a while but being a newbie I enjoyed them

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Wow that guy seems like a real jack-ass, sorry if he's a friend of yours but damn. I too am tired of skeptics who refuse to listen or even consider alternate possibilities to anything.

new topics

top topics

join