It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now why would you guys remove it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I have been keeping a close eye on my thread The Future of American Youth and was proud to see it climbing up the top threads of they day, and even make it to the home page after about 40-50 flags. I know that as a thread gets older it moves down in the priority list as new material is put up, and I also know that once a thread makes the front page it sticks around in the lower sections of More Popular Threads.

My question to the staff is why was my thread taken off the front page, yet other threads, made the same day as mine, of less popularity kept up?

No big deal, just thought I would throw it out there. Just wondering what the point of having a flagging system if the integrity of that system doesn't seem to matter.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Everything on the front page is there by member participation be it Flags, Stars or Replies over a period of time. It is all automated scripts. Even the threads that end up in the hoax forum by the end of the first page have the same equal opportunity to be showcased on the front page.

I, myself, had a thread that didn't appear at first, but stayed up for some time due to level of participation that was sustained.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thread rankings are determined entirely by the Members via a combination of stars, flags, replies and page views. Staff have absolutely no input nor say in the matter whatsoever.

Hope this helps.
All the best.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thanks for the quick responses. I was just curious, but that clears things up. GO MODS!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Yup, as Ahabstar said, it's an automated system. We don't remove anything from those lists. I'm not sure exactly how this system works, but I know that there are many factors, and not just flags.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Yeah it's no worries, bud. I was just curious so I thought I'd have a go. I understand there are automated protocols and such that can be put up for stuff such as the home page and thread ranks and so on. My initial thought was that it was only based on the flagging system but since thats not the case it's a non issue

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Clearly your thread isn't at the top for several key reasons:

A) Title not dramatic enough...you need to promise proof of some outrageous claim, or disprove some big conspiracy theory. The key word here is PROOF, put that in the title.

B) Not enough trolling in your thread. We need to see quotes removed by Staff, people getting banned, etc. Stir the pot for cryin' out loud.

C) Thread started at the wrong time. There is scientific evidence pointing towards an optimal thread start time, it is currently 1:15 PM, CST, Monday thru Friday. Weekends, your guess is as good as mine.

D) You're not popular enough. There is a select few of the Chosen, who's threads get auto-bumps. You unfortunately are not a part of that club.

E) No hot chick avatar. Come on, if you really want attention, sex must be a part of the equation.

F) Content. I seriously doubt it's this one, but you may take a look at this.

So, there you have it, it must be one of these reasons.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
the process is very simple - the front page " post popular = newest weighted

ie -if there are two threads , thread A & B

if thread A was started 4 days ago - and recieved flags as thus :

day one - 30
day two - 25
day three - 20
today - 15

total = 90

but thread B posted today , recededed flags =

day one [ today ] - 20

total = 20

then thread B would replace thread A on front page as it is CURRENTLY more popular

this keeps the site fresh and current - and prevents 200 flag " monster threads " which are 2 months old dominating front page

hope this helps

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I know theres truth behind your reply. It's still funny as hell though. I'll be sure to include some boobs and call in a few trolls to slander my material. To be honest I was prepared for a full on flame session, but alas I digress. Thank you Signals!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Pox Populi

reply to post by Signals

There's just WAY too much truth in that post.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It does seem that this new format excludes some threads that have the amount of stars and replies to be on those threads.

Strangely they were about the same subject.

Even with picture evidence, mods and admins stayed away from the topic for DAYS, then came and say that nothing seems to be wrong anymore.

Looks like you got a pretty quick reply from mods/admins...

abovetopsecret.com...

Though I do give staff credit for keeping the tread there, with the proof, and still ignoring it. Adds to the conspiracy factor. lol

Take 5 mins and read the first page at least, should be enough to get you interested.
edit on 12-12-2010 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Yup, as Ahabstar said, it's an automated system.

Dang robots
They snoop all over the place... gonna make us all obsolete soon

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

4 mods posting in 7 hours..
At least I now know how to get attention from a mod..

jk Mods..In fact you guys have answered and come to the call really fast lately..
to you all

top topics

join