It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora and Shooting Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Its that time of year folks!

This site is one of my favorites. They take a picture every 5 minutes or so and from this vantage point the heavens are well, heavenly.

www.auroraskystation.se...

I happened to check tonight and caught some screengrabs of several meteors.

At this site you can download hi-res images to save.

You can also see a slide show, start at the very first pictures and move forward and you will see the stars wheel around the Pole star. The Big Dipper is very prominent in the North these days.

Enjoy!

In the last image, there were several more meteors that you can't see in my resized and cropped photo.

Check out the Aurora site, you won't be sorry

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Oh yes. Very cool.
Thanks. I will pass this along to my kids who enjoy star gazing.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That is so cool! Thank you for sharing the site! 99% of my favorites are links that have been provided by ATS'ers! Thanks again Berkleygal!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Good post, but not all the images you posted are of Geminid meteors. The third photo looks like it may be a meteor, but without a wider view of the background stars/constellations it's hard to tell for sure. A true Geminid meteor would point back towards the Geminid radiant (in the constellation Gemini).

Cameras pick up satellites more easily than most meteors (unless they are quite bright), and most of the images you have there are of satellites by the looks of it. This is because satellites move much slower than meteors, so more photons hit the sensor/film in a given time. More photons means a brighter image of the event.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Thank you for posting the pictures and slideshow, beautiful. The last time I saw this in Berkeley was in 1999 on a rooftop of a friends home just below the Berkeley Lab in the Berkeley Hills, right now in Michigan we are having a snow storm and all I can see is beautiful snow falling from my tenth floor apartment.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thank you! BUT, I did not take those photos myself, they came from the site I listed. OMG, if I had that view from here in Berkeley I would never sleep at night (well, I mostly don't anyway).

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thank you C.H.U.D, you made a good point. I never really said they were all Geminids though. I have no idea what they are

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
check out todays dance

www.auroraskystation.se...

new topics

top topics

join