Storable Foods

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a good dehydrator and vacuum sealer, some zip lock bags and you're on your way to preparing and storing a food supply.
for storing fresh eggs you can dip them in sodium silicate and keep them in a dry dark cool place for 1 year without refrigeration.
collecting green walnuts then hulling them, then storing them in gunny sacks out of the rain but in an open air environment will give you lots of food as they dry and you harvest the nut meats.

you can hunt, grow and gather, dehydrate,vacuseal and store cheaper than you could purchase cased bulk preprocessed foods.

everyone should learn all the arts of growing, canning and storage, and apply them in their daily lives until they become second nature.

its only you , you should be relying on

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've been involved in planning for crisis since the mid-1980s. My thoughts have come full circle; and while I do have evacuation plans, they are merely backups. My study of history (see my "collapse of civilizations" thread if you are interested) leads me to believe that shelter-in-place is the most viable option for folks with intact families.

The mainstay of my hoard is canned goods from wally world. I focus on the ones that will last 2-3 years. We have incorporated them into our family's existing diet, and rotate through them so that our stockpile is up-to-date at any given moment. The drawbacks to commercial canned goods is that they are extremely bulky. But then my plan in the event of a crisis is to hold in place for 3-5 days before letting out (thus allowing the pannicers to cancel each other out) if I need to move at all.

The second tier is foods we have canned or dehydrated ourselves. This means garden staples (mostly green beans and corn) plus jerked meats.

The third tier is bulk staples like wheat and pasta that are stored in an oxygen-free environment.

The final tier is what fits in our freezers. This helps with our bills, but will cause a crisis of its own if the power ever goes out for more than 24 hours. But see below.

My two goals for the coming year are as follows:

-Find ways to preserve fats and oils long-term, to allow cooking from scratch. In the Spring, I will be experimenting with canning butter. If I can make this work, it opens up most home-cooking for the serious prepper: making our own bread and being able to fry i butter are two important tools for nutrition

-cure much of my meat at home. This is so that if/when the freezer goes out, I can convert the frozen meat into smoked meat before I lose it. If I am able to make this work, my goal will be to cure hams and venison without ever using the freezer at all. Eventually, we'll be able to get off the grid, and reduce our electrical needs substantially.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

gee sorry Bozzchem
i didn't mean to give the wrong impression
i totally agree with the thread
sandf
I was just pressed for time when I posted and wasn't my usual flowery self I guess...
IMHO
i'm trying to aim for as simple and as sustainable a system as possible.
KISS

the expense may seem alot
but when if they aren't avaliable they will still be worth every pennie
are the goods you bought non GMO?
how is the flavour?
when they bulk up are they more then you expected?
are the cans BpA plastic ?
nitrogen filled?
etc

in real desperate times
if anyone knows were you are and what you have......
the fight will be on

Like we freeze dry battered fish we get ice fishing
just skin and filet, batter, cook and the next day ( I fish by the moon periods) and let the wind and the minus temps do the job.
smoking works great for fish too
I also go to the dried goods store where they have most things, especially things that don't grow in this zone

I was just mentioning there are more then just the aquisition and storage problems to overcome.

here is the thing
how did the government beat the sioux?
they shot almost all the buffalo

in the 1930s the US put regulations on deer hunting because the deer were headed the way of the passenger pidgeon
they won't last long when the SHTF

how did stalin beat the germans?
scorched earth

dont forget
acorns, cattails pine trees

edit on 12-12-2010 by Danbones because: content etc

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
We have a huge garden almost year-round, and can or freeze excess produce. We also dry lots of the seed and save for the coming year. I always catch the sales at my local grocery and dollar stores. I can get boxes of betty crocker freeze dried potato mixes in all flavors for a dollar! That's cheap eating and they last for years! All the dried beans, peas, rice and pasta are a dollar at Fred's dollar store or Dollar General. Lots of salt, pepper, grund cayenne, garlic powder, etc. from these places, too. We have a lot of canned tomatoes from our garden and with all of the above makes a good meal.

I have put up flour and cornmeal and learned to make Navajo frybread and flatbread. It's a whole lot easier than trying to keep yeast bread made, and you can cook either one on a hot rock with a little oil if necessary!

We have cows and chickens, and can some meat as well as make venison and beef jerky.

It's all about buying what's on sale. I only want things that we eat normally htat I can easily rotate the stock on.

And don't forget ramen noodles!! They will last thru a nuclear blast and are delicious!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
winters here, just keep your cooler full of meat outside in the shade. it should stay frozen the rest of the winter

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

You mentioned Navajo frybread. How do you store the oil? Mine always goes rancid within 6 months or so of opening.

This is one of the difficulties I'm working on, how to store fats and oils so they don't go bad before I need them.

Thanks in Advance.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

maybe
store the source of the oil and make the oil when needed
or make the product and can it
Canned date nut loaf mmmm
edit on 14-12-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

We have gallons of canola oil put up in a cool dark storehouse. I've never had any go bad. I guess it would eventually, but I rotate it out regularly.

For the longer term, we usually kill a pig and render out the lard! It keeps a pretty long time if stored where it is cool and dark. If you are able to raise some pigs of your own, you have a constant source of oil! And let me tell ya, there is nothing tastier than chicken fried in lard.....oh,my. As an added bonus, you have porkskins and cracklins when you're done!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

I was afraid you were going to tell me that!

Not because I am an anti-swinnian; quite the contrary, I've raised pigs before. It's just that livestock doesn't fit in well with my current circumstance, and I suspect that is the only way to guarantee yourself access to fats.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I've just got two words to say: potted meat; love that stuff! Seriously, though.... I'm no survivalist or anything like that, in fact I play lead guitar in a rock and roll band. But, experimenting with things can be fun and entertaining. Such as I found out that I could cook breakfast using an empty gallon-sized food can and gumballs. The picture link below shows just the bacon on the top of the can, but an egg came shortly afterwards to make the complete bacon and egg breakfast:

Start Cooking! by HaarFager, on Flickr

That was something that could be a very useful skill to know for camping or an emergency and it can be a family event you can do right in your own backyard, like I did. Somebody mentioned cattails and strange plants of that ilk. I tried something that has become, if nothing else, a great conversation piece at parties. Did you know that you can saute day lily buds and they taste like deep-fried okra? Yum!

Sautéd Daylily Buds by HaarFager, on Flickr

I say, Dare to (appear to) be stupid and maybe people around you won't realize what you're really doing inside your home. Bottom line is, you gotta eat, so be prepared on all fronts.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

*100 stars!!! I can't believe people fall for this!(sorry you did).You can get a dehydrator and vacuum sealer for under 200,and if you go to thrift stores or yard sales,25 bucks! Toss in a water bath canner and a pressure canner,400 tops! Also,watch the serving size on the can..it may say 20 servings....but 1/2 cup servings! I'm not a big guy,but 1/2 cup of stew won't fill me up! Its a rip off

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

Those canners may be a thing of the past

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Personally, I think the OP raises a good point. I once looked into such package deals too, but took the time to itemize it, and realized I'd be better off assembling it myself. Props to the OP for sharing the mistake and warning others to prevent them from doing so.

My personal options and choices are:

6 gallon buckets with mylar bags and gamma seal lids for dried beans, rice, pasta, and mashed potato flakes, along with the same buckets for sugar, salt, and flour, dried butter powder,, coffee, and powdered eggs. (I use colored lids and labels to easily identify what holds what).

Regular sized cans of canned goods (many folks buy the big bulk ones, but this way, I can better decide what portions to make, and more easily rotate into normal meals).

Large cans of freeze dried meats and cheese, and dried milk

Home Canned fruits, veggies, and even meats, as they keep way longer than regular cans

I also have 6 gallon buckets for dog and cat food, bird seed, rabbit food, and keep sealed bags of horse feed...though I don't (can't really) keep more than a couple month's supply of these. If a longer ordeal, I'd have to either hope to have enough warning to buy more, or have to forage for more. I try and keep a lot of hay too, but that fluctuates on us getting a good deal from a farmer.

Of course, the best option is a project we're starting this year...our survival garden, and our own home canning (currently, anything we have we've got from trusted others)...along with storing seeds and other supplies to sustain a garden.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join