Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Storable Foods

page: 1
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
OK, I've heard the storable foods ads many times and coughed up the $1800 total cost for a years worth of storable food (shipping was almost $300!!!). Talk about a dumbass thing to do!! I hadn't done my research nor did I look at what I was truly getting for the exorbitant amount of money I spent for what is probably about $500 or so worth of goods.

Please, don't drop that kind of coin and then realize just how little you get for how much you paid!! Learn from my mistake and hopefully spend a bit of time to learn what I did to get what you need for FAR less cost.

Here's what I got for my $1800:

* FRUITS
* 2 cans - Apple Slices
* 2 cans - Bananas
* 1 can - Applesauce
* 2 cans - Tropical Fruit Mix
* 1 can - Raisins
* 2 cans - Apple Drink

* VEGETABLES
* 3 cans - Soup & Stew Blend
* 2 cans - Carrots
* 2 cans - Sweet Corn
* 2 cans - Green Peas
* 2 cans - Green Beans
* 3 cans - Potato Granules
* 2 cans - Potato Slices
* 1 can - Potato Dices
* 1 can - Onion
* 1 can - Tomato Powder

* LEGUMES
* 2 cans - Pinto Beans
* 2 cans - Navy Beans
* 2 cans - Chili Beans
* 1 can - Black Beans
* 1 can - Refried Beans

* CEREALS & GRAINS
* 1 can - Creamy Wheat Cereal
* 2 cans - Granola
* 2 cans - Rolled Oats
* 1 can - Spaghetti
* 4 cans - Macaroni
* 6 cans - Rice
* 2 cans - Cornmeal
* 1 can - Popcorn

* DAIRY
* 6 cans - Protein Power Milk *
* 3 cans - Whole Eggs
* 2 cans - Cheese Blend
* 1 can - Butter Powder

* MEATS
* 4 cans - Beef TVP
* 3 cans - Chicken TVP
* 2 cans - Sausage TVP
* 1 can - Bacon TVP

* COOKING SUPPLEMENTS
* 1 can - Hot Chocolate Mix
* 1 can - Strawberry Gelatin
* 1 can - Pudding Mix
* 1 can - Beef/Chicken Soup Base

* SPROUTING SEEDS
* 1 - 4 Gallon Pail of Nutri-Mix Seeds with Sprouter

While some of the aforementioned are difficult to acquire, many are run of the mill staples you can pick up for pennies compared to what I paid. Not too mention, some of what I got are things I really don't see as necessary nor as something I'll eat/drink unless I have no other options.

If you REALLY want to stock up and save some coin, look to see if there is an LDS (Latter Day Saints) family storage center near you.

Here's the link to check: www.providentliving.org...

I'm not a member of the LDS but they let me and my group in and the prices are impossible to beat. Hell, look at all of the other information provided by the LDS site in addition to merely looking for a storage site near you.

If I could attach a pdf of the price list in my region, you'd definitely be thinking that these so called "food storage" patriots are selling you things at triple+ the cost.

For what the LDS doesn't sell, you'd be better off dropping the money on a high quality dehydrator and dehydrating the foods on your own from a farmers market. Vacuum seal them and you're good to go. Plus, once you've got the dehydrator and vaccuum sealer, you can do jerky and so many other things!!!

Look, this is only my opinion but I'm sick of seeing people get ripped off by "patriots". Take it for what it's worth and do what you will with the information I provided.

Keep in mind that I made the ridiculous purchase of the "must have" pack about three years ago but I'm tired of hearing their ads and wondering how many others will be tempted to do the same when they could spend half or less and get more!




posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
,If the shtf, people will be all over you like flies on a rib roast .After spending that much you must be praying for a disaster ,just so you get a chance to use it.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
,If the shtf, people will be all over you like flies on a rib roast .After spending that much you must be praying for a disaster ,just so you get a chance to use it.


Obviously if I spent that much on storable food, you can only imagine how much I've spent on the means to defend it.

I am not praying for a disaster since at some point all of that food can actually be consumed even though it is worth less than half of what I paid for it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I gather you've done nothing to prepare and just want to toss out quips for those who have decided to be proactive rather than reactive?

edit on 12-12-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
It makes for good camping food, I prefer to grow mine, but we all do what we have to do. I do like the Mountian House packages you can get, and its good grub, not like most the stuff out there you have to stomach down.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem
 


Well you assumed wrong my snarky little friend,dont choke on your bounty ,But as the fat lady said to her jeans "youv'e been ripped"



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I am full on about prepping and the Mormans have been preach this for years and they are good at it, but ...............I will never support anything they have a hand in based of their religion and points of view. Sorry mate, no flags or stars from me.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing
 


I have quite a bit of Mountain House food and agree that it is quite good.

The purpose of this thread was merely to steer those away from the mistake I made when purchasing from a "patriot' outfit and hopefully to save those thinking of doing so some of their hard earned cash.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem
 


I totally understand, but come on, you give a link to the LDS group for buying prep food?? Com'on mate, theres alot better resorces out there then what they can offer you, let alone the mindless door knocking you will get to join them.
I think you got the better of the deals through your first purchase
j/k



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by bozzchem
 


Well you assumed wrong my snarky little friend,dont choke on your bounty ,But as the fat lady said to her jeans "youv'e been ripped"


I'm neither snarky nor your friend. I will not choke on my bounty and you can tell your girlfriend that telling her jeans such a thing doesn't make the jeans fit better.

You obviously missed the entire point of the thread so why "contribute" which you have yet to do?



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patrioitinsheepclothing
reply to post by bozzchem
 


I totally understand, but come on, you give a link to the LDS group for buying prep food?? Com'on mate, theres alot better resorces out there then what they can offer you, let alone the mindless door knocking you will get to join them.
I think you got the better of the deals through your first purchase
j/k


I gave the link since I've gotten incredible deals through them and they won't be knocking on my door since I don't disclose my address to them.

I'm beginning to think this thread was a waste of time. The savings I've gotten through them are amazing and yes, they try to preach and all that crap but they don't push it.

Get your stuff from China Mart then...or make the original mistake I did and drop some serious coin on items worth half of what they are sold for.

BTW "mate" care to share your resources that are so much better? I'd love to hear about them.
edit on 12-12-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem
 


Well i was contributing because i felt sorry for you ,because you felt bad for buying a crapload of old dogfood.You put this thread out there and then took out your incompetence on my first post.I was neither rude or insulting until you got your knickers in a knot .Step off or suck it up.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem
 


OK smarty pants, your getting a "GREAT DEAL" on the price for large amounts of prep food that should be able to be stored for up to ten years at the least.
Do you really know where the food was grown, what they used to grow that food, what seeds they used, where it was grown, processed and packaged. Can you really trust the LDS church??
Maybe you can, but not me, they have been living off the tit of life ever since those damn tablts showed up.
Heres some friendly advise, look into who your buying your kit from so you dont get ripped twice, it may be cheap, but is it any freaking good for you, or does it just fill your gut?
Your thread is a good topic, dont be so quick to judge it, your sounding more like your pushing a product instead of the info that you can abslorb from your own thread.
To cut to the quick, go get yourself some survival non heirloom seed survival pack, and buy or grow or build over time, a yrs worth of prepped food till you can plant. If your having to plant, then you should already be someplace you can.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by bozzchem
 


Well i was contributing because i felt sorry for you ,because you felt bad for buying a crapload of old dogfood.You put this thread out there and then took out your incompetence on my first post.I was neither rude or insulting until you got your knickers in a knot .Step off or suck it up.


Hence the point of the thread. Hopefully to keep others from doing the same and attempting to steer them to a place where they won't make the same mistake.

Incompetence and ignorance are not the same thing. I was merely displaying my ignorance and hoping to keep others from doing the same since I have now learned and would like to help others.

To say my knickers are in a knot is no doubt a colloquial term from where you reside. I can assure you they are not and will no longer waste posts on childish barbs when I had good intentions for making this post. I admitted I was a dumbass a few years back and have attempted to keep others from doing what I did.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem
 


Sounds like you are prepared if disaster was to strike, just take my advice whatever you do DO NOT FORGET THE CAN OPENER!!!! I hate it when I go camping and realize i forgot the damn can opener, now what.
edit on 12-12-2010 by marriah3330 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patrioitinsheepclothing
reply to post by bozzchem
 


OK smarty pants, your getting a "GREAT DEAL" on the price for large amounts of prep food that should be able to be stored for up to ten years at the least.
Do you really know where the food was grown, what they used to grow that food, what seeds they used, where it was grown, processed and packaged. Can you really trust the LDS church??
Maybe you can, but not me, they have been living off the tit of life ever since those damn tablts showed up.
Heres some friendly advise, look into who your buying your kit from so you dont get ripped twice, it may be cheap, but is it any freaking good for you, or does it just fill your gut?
Your thread is a good topic, dont be so quick to judge it, your sounding more like your pushing a product instead of the info that you can abslorb from your own thread.
To cut to the quick, go get yourself some survival non heirloom seed survival pack, and buy or grow or build over time, a yrs worth of prepped food till you can plant. If your having to plant, then you should already be someplace you can.


Smarty pants? That was certainly a mature response.

I merely indicated what I found to be a better supplier for what I felt was a far better rate of return. I don't give a damn about the LDS but do find they have a good handle on storing food.

I have a garden large enough to support no less than 20 people and all seeds planted are heirloom...hence why I indicated to save the money from the $1800 BS purchase and acquire a dehydrator and vacuum sealer. Not everyone has that luxury/ability.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Fair enough , i retract my statement regarding your underwear as you obviously have good intentions, but dont assume what other people are doing or thinking as i have been long prepared for the inevitable downfall .
Carry on.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing
 


Actually what a great idea, you can buy seeds for really cheap, then grow your own food, and can them yourself, as for meat or protein, not quite sure, smoked, dried meat but I dont know how long that all lasts.This may be cheaper, not sure. If such a situation occurs, I just plan to run for the hills with a gun, where i live there is plenty of fish, game and plants/berries.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330
 


Perfect advise for someone with all those cans. A P38 can be your best friend.



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330
reply to post by bozzchem
 


Sounds like you are prepared if disaster was to strike, just take my advice PLEASE DONT FORGET THE CAN OPENER!!!! I hate it when I go camping and realize i forgot the damn can opener, now what.


Thank you! I laughed out loud at that advice since I've had one break on me at the most inopportune time! Drop all that coin on cans and then have a POS can opener?!

No doubt, have a good can opener if you're going to rely on canned storage!!



posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing
 


Actually what a great idea, you can buy seeds for really cheap, then grow your own food, and can them yourself, as for meat or protein, not quite sure, smoked, dried meat but I dont know how long that all lasts.This may be cheaper, not sure. If such a situation occurs, I just plan to run for the hills with a gun, where i live there is plenty of fish, game and plants/berries.


Heirloom seeds aren't all that cheap but they are well worth the money. Mine have had no germination issues and continue to provide quite a bit more produce than I can eat.

One other thing to consider should you decide to "Bug In" is canning meat. I have quite a bit of meat that I've pressure canned and can tell you that it's quite good when warmed over a wood stove with some rice/beans etc.

The one caveat I would add is that there is plenty of fish/game etc....NOW. When people get hungry, they will deplete the natural resources at an alarming rate.





new topics

top topics



 
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join