It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Tiger-Sized Predator Unearthed in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Ancient Tiger-Sized Predator Unearthed in Texas

www.livescience.com

Paleontologists in Texas have unearthed a nearly complete fossil of a dimetrodon, a reptile-like predator that roamed the Permian landscape 287 million years ago.

dimetrodon is often mistaken for a dinosaur, although dimetrodons pre-dated dinos by millions of years.

the new find is the most complete skeleton of the species found in 100 years

The new Willi specimen may help clear up questions about how many dimetrodon species there were, Bakker said. But Willi will also be a tool for e
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Dimetrodons

I thought I would make this thread because the most complete skeletal model of a dimetrodon, a creature that pre-dates Dinosaurs by millions of years.

There is so much left to be found here on Earth
To me, to find the most complete skeleton of a creature that existed millions of years before dinosaurs is quite crazy, and that's an understatement!!!!

This website says:

Dimetrodon preceded the earliest dinosaurs by more than 40 million years

www.prehistory.com...

Maybe i'm being a nerd

But I find this exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
S&F

cause youre excited... is very cool.
40 million year old fossilized ... animal? is it still called a dinosaur?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
That IS amazing! Thank you for the post and links... off to read the articles!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Velocismo
40 million year old fossilized ... animal? is it still called a dinosaur?

No no, even better
40 Millions years before Dinosaurs
So about 270 million of years ago or so

Just to put it in perspective and explain me being like "wow"
Sumerians were 6000 years ago
Ancient Egypt was about 5000 years ago(approx)

So between us and Ancient Egypt, this is us and ancient egypt FOUR MILLION times over in years

edit on 11-12-2010 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
so really it is to dinosaurs what ape is to man...interesting.
Can you imagine seeing a lion sized lizard outside your door...crazy.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hey thats a realy cool find! this thing is looks neat, havent seen pictures of its skeleton though..
Good find S+F

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nothing nerdy about it MA... excellent job on sharing this good info, and, for making your enthusiasm pulpable for the rest of us.

Big lizards.. at our State Capital Museum here there is a replica of a giant Goanna about 30 feet long with jaws enough to swallow a cow whole.... glad I wasn't here when they were

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
That's interesting, never heard of a Dimetrodon before. I think most people including me would look at a giant lizard from millions of years ago and say, "Look at that dinosaur. It has a stupid fin on it. I wonder why."

But now I know it's not a dinosaur, and it was the biggest thing in its day, so no T-Rex could just grab it by its fin and eat it.

So thanks I learned something new today.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I always wanted a pet dimetrodon when I was a small child... that and a parasaurolophus (an actual dinosaur, with a wierd bony crest/resonating chamber bit). Wasn't it a synapsid, too? (this would put it closer to OUR ancient - very ancient, as OP pointed out) lineage than to the dinosaurs.

Oh, yes, about the very ancient-ness:

270 million / 5000 = 0.054 million, not 4 million. If they were 4 million times as long ago as the egyptians, it would have to be 20,000 mya. (20 billion years ago... just a tad older than the earth, in our current understanding)

EDIT: googled it, it is(was) a synapsid, which (assuming monophyly of the Synapsida) puts it closer to us, in evolutionary terms, than dinosaurs, which were diapsids (along with lizards, snakes, amphisbaenans, birds, crocodiles & co)

edit on 12/12/2010 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Yep...It's more like Dimetrodon is to mammals, as dinosaurs are to birds..
It was one of my favorite "dinos" too, even though it wasn't really a dinosaur. I had a giant plastic one in my room as a kid.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
After going to the linked source I went on and viewed the series of pictures of other bizzare creatures from the world's ancient past. Many of them were HUGE lumbering beasts with crazy sharp teeth.

It then occured to me that the world was a very busy place with a lot going on for millions and millions of years without humans. We see ourselves as being so central to things, but we are insignificant in the context of earth's history.

I've joined discussions on other threads about how humans could end up extint ourselves if we keep poisoning the environment and ourselves with all the chemicals and polutants. The world would not miss us if we did. It would just continue on with its seemingly endless "experimental" designs for life.

edit on 12/12/2010 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
270 million / 5000 = 0.054 million, not 4 million. If they were 4 million times as long ago as the egyptians, it would have to be 20,000 mya. (20 billion years ago... just a tad older than the earth, in our current understanding)

Yes you are correct, thanks for pointing that out
I am unable to replicate how exactly I got to 40million lol
I think I just did in my head 5x4 = 20 and just added a bunch of zeros to the 4 bringing it to around 200 million years ago, the 5 was for 5000 of course.

thx for pointing it out

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Nice find there MA. I once visited the Ft Worth natural museum, and was able to see from their displays, where the ancient shoreline used to be around the dallas area. As well as the types of animals that lived at the time.

I could never understand growing up why Dimetridon was not a dino, but I found out later it was the way their skeletal frame was laid out (among other things). One example is the way their legs come out from the body parallel to the ground. like an alligator, or a lizard. Dino's evolved to point where their hip joints rotated under the wieght of the body. So now birds, and mammals have better weight distribution for locomotion.

So Dimetridon most likely a reptile with an extreme radiator.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Maths is nobody's friend - when I first looked at your figures and thought "Hang on a sec, that's not right", my immediate response was still out by a factor of 10. So I'm certainly not in a position to throw stones (besides the fact that throwing stones at my computer-screen would be quite a counter-productive exercise).

Still a mind-blowing amount of time ago. I have enough of a brain-melt when I'm told that a building is more than 500 years old, and anything older than about 5 million and my brain pretty much beeps it out with the phrase "really old, do not touch"

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
so really it is to dinosaurs what ape is to man...interesting.
Can you imagine seeing a lion sized lizard outside your door...crazy.

No need to imagine. Six foot long monitors were a not uncommon sight where I lived as a kid.
They looked a bit like these and could climb.

Once we didn't see our industrious new Greek immigrant farming neighbours for a few days, so we went over to see if they were ok. They dragged us inside and slammed the door, terrifiedly pointing outside and yelling "crocdile!" We had to cart the curious 6' lizard away and explain it wouldn't have eaten them.

In retrospect, we should have taught them how to roast it.

edit on 12/12/10 by Kailassa because: I can't spell.

top topics

join