It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of Christmas cards do I send to my Atheist buddies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
What do you send to somebody who doesn't even believe in what you are celebrating?

Most of is Christians want to spread the holiday cheer but, feel that religious cards will probably just piss off our Atheist buddies. Santa cards just tend to celebrate the greed associated with the holidays and I want to send them something they'll appreciate.

Luckily I found a website that caters to my strange needs (well, this strange need anyway
).

Atheist Christmas Cards

Here are a few of my favorites:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c8e87b1b5ab.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d9bce12acf7.jpg[/atsimg]

The Evolution of Tradition:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c615a0c5778e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e5f9703c60e.jpg[/atsimg]

Those are just a few I found on that website. Feel free to add more if you can find them elsewhere.

Edit to add:

MERRY CHRISTMAS ATS, NO MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! (OR NOT)

edit on 12/11/10 by FortAnthem because:
:w:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I don't celebrate christmas, I don't expect or require anything for my birthday either. Though when I do receive something i'm ofcourse grateful, but I again, initially request nothing to be given to me.

Having said that, as a part of tradition, we still say greetings and good wishes on christmas. Instead of a card, why don't you just ring that specific person and wish the fella good holidays? Cards are lazy in my opinion, no offense (i've written them too)

Though I will say, if I got a card with a slight religious overtone for christmas, i would be grateful as the intention was nice. Only if you are an ass-hole "atheist" would you be anal about it.
edit on 11-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

Cards were funny by the way

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
maybe you could just not send them anything...why should they get to celebrate at all for that matter if they are a bunch of athiests?

or maybe you could just send them some nice fruit baskets, to symbolize the notion that they are fruits!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
how about sending them some drugs and prozac to get high, it must be depressing missing out on Christmas dinner, laughing, gifts, family, booze and an overall festive and joyous holiday.

or a zoo pass so they can spend Christmas with the monkeys.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

I can already see the direction this thread will go, thanks to your comment. Endless pages of bickering about religion and bla bla bla. Bunch of monkeys throwing # at each other.

And the post after that: Here we go.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

what;s wrong with fruit baskets?

who doesn't like fruit?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

How about something relating to family or peace on Earth? Two of the greatest things

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

I agree, I hope this doesn't turn into another Atheist/ Christian cheap shot thread. I honestly want to know what is the best way to spread the Christmas cheer with people who don't believe in what the rest of us are celebrating.

I'd be willing to bet that even Atheists appreciate Christmas presents even if they don't believe in what is being celebrated. It must be difficult to deny your children the joy of opening presents on Christmas morning. I am sure that, even if they don't believe, they would still find a way to celebrate with their families this time of year. Who can resist all those great sales and paid time off right?

If anything, Atheists should be thankful for the paid time off during the holidays and the opportunity to spend time with friends and families.

I'd still like to see if anyone could come up with more Atheist Christmas cards.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I would send a card with a nature scene and wishes for peace this holiday season and always. Simple and beautiful and sincere.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
maybe you could ask them what kind of card to send.

most of them would likely laugh at the idea of having a separate day for something like christmas, and then perhaps share with you that they will be praying to satan all day December 25th. they may even go on to disclose that they are going to participate in the ritual murder of a christian infant, and then drink the child's blood from a silver chalice blessed by anton levey himself. and then maybe they will share that they will take part in a drug fueled orgy conducted in the name of sehmbala, the mighty dark lord.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I found a couple more:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c7a64ee9c1f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d327bc81a34a.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 12/11/10 by FortAnthem because: Resize pic.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
As an atheist, I can say the following.
We celebrate Christmas, just for the same reason that we celebrate the 4th of July. It's a holiday. It's a tradition.
What we do NOT do is get caught up in the hype. We don't tell our children lies about a fat man in a red suit sliding down our non-existent chimney delivering gifts, nor about an omnipotent father that lives in the sky that will send them to a hell of firey torment if they don't believe in him.
I quite honestly think that the entire hype of christmas is perpetuated by the MSM. They have christmas decorations in the store now before thanksgiving is even over. Nothing says appreciation for your family quite like spending gobs of hard earned cash on pretty colored glass orbs, plastic trees, and inflatable lawn ornaments with moving parts and pretty lights. Nearly every decent eating place is belting out the same old tunes we grew tired of hearing when we were 10 years old. The television programming has shifted it's focus hoping to sway the purchasing power of the american public to go buy the newest, hottest items for their kids if they want to show their love - nevermind the 12 previous months of providing them food, clothing, shelter...etc that won't be ever be thought of until the children have grown and gone and the parents are on their deathbed.
I see it now as just a sham that is riding on the coattails of what has grown to be the greatest american holiday ever, that has learned to make us think that buying their baubles is showing great affection for our loved ones.

As an atheist, I see it as a remnant of a religious observance that is "evolving" over time into nothing more than a commercial gimmick. I would say that within another few decades, the religious part of it will be lost altogether.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
I hope this doesn't turn into another Atheist/ Christian cheap shot thread.

...thats disingenous, considering what you posted (below)...

Originally posted by FortAnthem
It must be difficult to deny your children the joy of opening presents on Christmas morning.

...looks like a cheap shot to me...

...one of my dearest friends is a jehovahs witness... they dont exhange gifts on xmas... she's got four grown kids, all very well balanced and none thought they were short-changed by her failing to participate in (what they believe is) the prostituting of the christ's birthday...

...lots of atheists celebrate xmas, as do tons of non-christians... also, folks were celebrating the winter solstice long before xtianity existed... i find it hard to believe that you dont already know that....

...back to your reason for this thread - if you have to ask strangers for advice on what kind of xmas card to give your atheist friends, you must not know the atheists you call friends very well... maybe they're acquaintances or co-workers, huh?...

...why send a card at all since you think they're denying joy to their children?...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Here I made one up for you

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43f535365f2c.jpg[/atsimg]

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Way to take my quote out of context.

It must be difficult to deny your children the joy of opening presents on Christmas morning. I am sure that, even if they don't believe, they would still find a way to celebrate with their families this time of year. Who can resist all those great sales and paid time off right?

What I was trying to get across is that I believe that even Atheists probably exchange gifts this time of year even though they don't believe in the reason behind Christmas.

With all of the big sales and encouragement for giving everywhere, it would be foolish to opt out just because you don't ascribe to the beliefs of the group which created the holiday. Spending time with the family and exchanging gifts doesn't have to be religiously motivated, one can do it just to show their love for their family and friends.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Send them money. Atheists love money. Money is the perfect Christmas card equivalent for atheist friends.

Signed, your atheist friend,

~Heff

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I agree with Heff! Nothing $ays Happy Holiday$ like money!

Your atheist friend,
BH

Seriously, some atheists celebrate Christmas in a secular way. Some atheists buy their kids presents and tell their children the fantasy story about Santa. All atheists don't carry a similar belief system about Christmas, just about the existence of a "god".

I don't celebrate anything on Christmas, but as you can see from my avatar, I join in the fun of the holiday season. We may even have a special meal that day. I get cards (even religious ones) from friends and family, and I am not at all offended! They have their beliefs, I have mine. I even echo a greeting of "Merry Christmas" when someone says it to me.

Love the atheist cards! I would be honored to receive a card that took my position into account. Or you could send a secular Christmas card and leave it at that:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am a pagan and I dont mind christmas cards. I see it as a national holiday as much as a religious one.
But if you want to play it safe, just go with the generic happy holidays.

If someone wishes me a happy holiday, merry xmas or whatever, I don't get offended by it.Because they are giving me positive energy in their thoughts. And no matter the format it comes in, I will not reject a good natured wish from someone. To me its like getting offended by someone saying: have a good day.

Now if someone goes overboard and says: may Jesus bless you or something, then I might find that annoying. But not, a well intended statement..no.

If your friends get offended, they shouldn't. And you can explain taht to them.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It's so awesome to see more and more holiday and greeting cards designed for atheists. What a great way to spread reason around. My favourite people doing atheist cards at the moment is www.atheistcards.com. They humour is bang on and they are all free!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
A sizeable business opportunity on hand!

Å99

top topics

<<   2 >>

join