It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks: Where's the beef?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
WikiLeaks is in the academy of the overrated. I’ve read everything I can get my hands on about WikiLeaks. There is a tremendous amount of information about the events, about the people, about the reactions, and about the true intent of WikiLeaks. It includes the infamous password and insurance file, the arrest of the founder, and many assessments on the “damage” caused by exposing a quarter million “Secret!” cables to the world.

Where’s the beef?

What has been revealed here that is so devastatingly damaging? What have you learned about the inner workings of politics that makes you NOW understand what REALLY is happening? Is there anything here that seriously compromises national defense or security? Is there anything here that a terrorist could pick up and say, “Ah ha! Now I know how to get these suckers!”

What we have here is what amounts to diplomatic gossip. Oh, for sure there are things people said about others that are a bit embarrassing. Diplomo-speak is not frank. Some of the cables are. But on the whole the world has not been made either a more enlightened or better place because we all have access to some gossip written by members of the diplomatic corps.

There is nothing here that is earth shattering. Everything revealed here is either already known by those paying attention or already suspected. The cables reveal an Obama administration that is somewhat disorganized. As if you didn’t know that already. They claim that someone thinks Karzai is off his meds (old news) or that the Saudi Royal Family is corrupt and drunk with money (even older news.) They claim that China is obsessed with the Internet (Maybe that’s why they censor it, do you think?) or that the Vatican is upset with Ireland for daring to ask their diplomat about pedophiles. (Yawn.)

Assenge himself seems to think he’s done something great. He said recently, “Geopolitics will be separated into pre- and post-cablegate phases.” I see no evidence of this. Diplomats may be a little less frank with each other personally for a little while, but the entire issue affects every country, not just the US. Diplomacy must continue and besides, where you are is much more important than what you say. Belgium may talk big like a super power, but it’s geopolitical role is to be a buffer between France and Germany.

The fact is that the majority of these leaked cables, though they were never intended for general distribution, weren’t even classified. Those that were held a classification if “Secret,” a very low-level of constraint. Much of the stuff has been outdated for years, making their intelligence value near zero. Those folks at ATS and elsewhere who are “horrified” at these revelations because it reveals a United States that has engaged in deception seem to feel the rest of the world behaves in a more honest fashion. They do not. The game of diplomacy is played the same everywhere and anyone who is actually engaged in it knows this.

One of the “most important revelations” according to the news media is the release of a list the US thinks represents “high value” and soft targets subject to terrorist attacks. One British politician stated this was just the kind of thing a terrorist would want to know. Note to politician: Any terrorist worth his 72 virgins already knows about everything on this list. Sending a squad of Marines to guard tin mines in China because they are vulnerable is probably not going to happen. The sensationalistic nature of this “revelation” is just journalism being sensationalistic—again.

No nation, including the US, is going to make any significant change to their foreign policies as a result of WikiLeaks. Surely the WikiLeaks episode will get into the history books, but the leaks themselves will not because they largely are not worthy of attention.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I do so hope you are mistaken, but slowly inexorably, as the publicity has mounted and the content of the cables remained in the realm of mundane, i have begun to swing to the CIA FF plot against the internet freedom of speech angle.
I fear so, but hope not....well need a leetle more time....

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
You do realize that only .5% of the cables have been released yet, right?

Do you judge a book after reading the first page, also?

Hold your judgement. Deny ignorance.

Plus there has been a lot of incriminating and damning evidence against CIA and cohorts already. Have you actually been reading the key points of the leaks every day? Or just trusting the NYT?

Watch this video at about 3:30

edit on 11-12-2010 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Now I don't know much about WikiLeaks.
And there may never be anything really damning exposed.
In fact in the long run it may do more harm than good.
That is, with regard to another excuse to tighten security.
Of course embarrasing Hilary Clinton, or the USA, is unforgivable!
Perhaps the real issue, and most relevant thing is,
It shows how petty, trivial, devious, and untrustworthy these diplomats are.
Just like the politicians and world leaders they like to set themselves up,
As if somehow, they are our best examples, and fit for purpose...
It's all rather sad really...and the saddest part is, nothing will change.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think this whole WikiLeaks saga is nothing but a bunch of baloney.

I have no idea why its going on, I don't think it's to restrict the net, I think it's a set up for some upcoming planned military aggression.

What lead me to believe its nothing but garbage is how fake it all seems. How contrived. If you, like Assange, were involved in sensitive dealings, bordering on espionage, and everyone was looking for you - would you even speak to anyone let alone have sex with them? How damned dumb can you be?

Unless - you knew there was no danger. Or, perhaps this incident never even happened?

And of course sex garners more attention than say - charges for littering or public drunkenness. Sex sells and draws more viewers.

And would you give yourself up on questionable 'rape' charges - knowing they are false and also knowing that the US wants a piece of you? I wouldn't - unless - I knew how everything was going to play out.

The entire thing just seems so fake to me. Like a cheesy low budget movie.

As I was getting very tired of this WL crap all over the net and the MSM - I went looking for some reading material that might be insightful and I found the following -

The WikiLeaks Hoax Part I
The WikiLeaks Hoax Part II

Quite interesting, raises some important points.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
WikiLeaks is in the academy of the overrated. I’ve read everything I can get my hands on about WikiLeaks. There is a tremendous amount of information about the events, about the people, about the reactions, and about the true intent of WikiLeaks. It includes the infamous password and insurance file, the arrest of the founder, and many assessments on the “damage” caused by exposing a quarter million “Secret!” cables to the world.

Where’s the beef?

Perhaps instead of reading commentary, you should read the actual cables.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Despite the disgust I have towards your avatar, I will grant you a star. I very much agree with your analysis of wikileaks. Here's the question you asked: what devastating information has been released that would cause a rebellion, or even mistrust amongst the nation? None so far! Wikileaks is a bunch of hype about nothing. Certainly nothing here is worthy of incarceration... But hey Mr.Assange, you got your much deserved fame. Your face is in every newspaper in the world. Half the world thinks you're scum. Half the world thinks you're god. But was it worth it to release these cables, knowing you'd spend the rest of your life in a prison cell next to a guy named Bubba who wants to make you his puppy? I think not.
edit on 11-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2010 by freedish because: Lasting spring water inside a river of life. Water is my essence, and rivers are my right.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Of course your Avatar is the 'bees knees'
Sorry couldn't resist that.
I have the best one of all!

Midicon.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Well yes - much of what has been released so far would be akin to getting your hands on a high school girls' diary - and then publishing it to her high school. Certainly embarrassing - but nothing earth moving.

As you state, much of what is "news" and not just gossip has been published has been suspected. Heck, much of it has been discussed here on ATS before. Much of the mid-east not wanting Iran to get nukes, diplomats spy on each other, Saudi funding of AQ, Iran arming various groups, Afghanistan corruption etc, etc, isn't really news to anyone who has kept an eye and ear open.

However, there were a few nuggets in there that made me take notice...
Iran getting missile parts from NK with help from China. That's actually pretty important that China is playing that active a role behind the scenes.
Putin and Berlusconi being bbf's - Who knew? My two cents is that Putin is simply tuning him up so he can play him like a violin whenever he wishes. A window to Russian influence in Europe. I'd expect to see Italy side more with Russia on international issues.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
who knew? They have been caught like kids, playing in the sand box, and the school mom came out and said enough. Now, they are saying, they done it, the other ones, over there. Where is the OMG thing,

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Where’s the beef?

Soooooooo you've read the cables? or just headlines? lol The beef is in the videos and files released by wikileaks. Why don't ya just cruise by their site sometime and take a look at them for yourself?
OR, you could pull up any one of the news outlets that recieve the cables and provide summaries.

...ohhhhhhh wait a minute,,, I get it, you don't really want the beef, do ya?

oh and ps: the fact is the majority of the cables have not been released. The facts are in black and white on the page and most of them aren't even available yet. Only 1k of 250K so far I think. Oh, and another thing. lol That's just a silly notion that most people, including those here on ATS don't seem to know all countries diplomats misbehave. That's nonsense. Not sure how you can associate the disgust and disdain for US's behavior to mean that people are unaware that other countries have guilt. But alas, you have.

edit on 12/11/1010 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/11/1010 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What's a really good way to hide truth? to present another "truth". That's what WL is. It's a distraction.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think they have released some damaging and embarrassing info, might not be what YOU want to hear, but they have to work with the info they are given, and i have found some of it interesting. Sure many people interested in politics may have already guessed many things released, but most mainstream people haven't...but they are now with the massive media campaign and attention it is getting. Hardly any of the leaks have been released also so we are going to see much more in the coming months, the only danger is the media cherry picking through the vast swathes of data to fit an agenda. S. Arabia calling for iran to be bombed etc...not a surprise since both countries hate each other and Iran is an up and coming power in the region, but the media can target the usual gullible folks with this information.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I reiterate. There is no beef here. Some of you disagree, but no one has actually posted any beef of note. Here's an entire article on the subject which agrees with me completely. Here's what defense secretary Robert Gates has to say on the matter:

“Now, I’ve heard the impact of these releases on our foreign policy described as a meltdown, as a game-changer, and so on. I think those descriptions are fairly significantly overwrought. The fact is, governments deal with the United States because it’s in their interest, not because they like us, not because they trust us, and not because they believe we can keep secrets. Many governments — some governments — deal with us because they fear us, some because they respect us, most because they need us. We are still essentially, as has been said before, the indispensable nation.”

“Is this embarrassing? Yes. Is it awkward? Yes. Consequences for U.S. foreign policy? I think fairly modest.”

WikiLeaks "damage" is nothing but hyperbole. It is much ado about nothing.

Note to add: It is perfectly legal to cite this entire article. Stratfor is a kind of private CIA organization and rarely allows reprinting of their stuff, but this "Geopolitical weekly" is expressly designated as free, available, and ok to reprint. Normally a subscription to their stuff is $350 per year
edit on 12/14/2010 by schuyler because: add info about freebie publication

top topics

join