It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Term "Conspiracy Theory", Time for a New Name?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
G'Day my friends,

I think it's time that ATS considered the term "Conspiracy Theory" and the connotations it inspires in the minds of those we are trying to reach.

How often (even on ATS) are we called "crazy CTs" or "damned fool CTs", "wack job CTs" and so on and so on. The term was surely created by those hiding behind and planning conspiracies as a means of discrediting and belittling those who search for the truth.

In the minds of the sheeple, all it takes is someone on TV or in a magazine to utter the words "Conspiracy Theory" and that's it, the discussion descends into farce. TPTB use the term simply to halt discussion in it's tracks, since they know what the general population has in mind when they think of this.

TPTB have managed to associate CT with the absolute craziest views out there, so the argument goes a little like this:

"So you believe that the government is poisoning our water with fluoride? Next you'll be saying that the reptilians are coming to get us and we're really in the matrix like those stupid Conspiracy Theorists."

Job done by TPTB, end of argument.

So here's the challenge ATS, can we come up with a better term? Can we fight back by giving Conspiracy Theory a new image, beginning with a new name?

I'm still thinking but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other people thought.......all the best, Kiwi

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
how about Conspiracy Reality...

or just The Truth

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
how about Conspiracy Reality...

or just The Truth

it has to convey the fact that we are being lied to, and I think the word "conspiracy" should be dropped (IMO).

I thought about using the word "alternate" somewhere, it's a tough one!!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If the real powers that be had their way you could replace "conspiracy theory" with "delusional and insane" and simply write off anything meeting their criteria as just that.

edit on 11-12-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

There we go: "Alternate Truth"

That sounds tight and I call dibs for the band name

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Alleged Reality.
2 cents

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Terror Plots, if u want to be blunt about it
or Secrets Unraveled.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I going with "hidden truth hypothesis"

be good

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

'The Truth' - is an excellent suggestion. The point in the OP is very concisely made. I've heard another alternative - ‘awareness’. I totally agree with the OP that the term 'conspiracy theory' has indeed been hijacked - despite it technically only requiring two participants to create a conspiracy by definition.

It is a very common occurrence - it’s called 'labelling theory' and applies a lot in health matter. That's why they keep changing the name for certain conditions on a regular basis .e.g. mongolism became downs syndrome, spasticism became cerebral palsy. Once these words reach the populace and start becoming derogatory terms - the label is changed. Another aspect of labelling theory is that is you go around slapping labels on people, people start to 'catch' the symptoms.

‘Conspiracy theorist’ has now become a derogatory term just like spastic, or mongol...and I totally agree it’s time for a name change. Not saying it’s a reason to but it’s what TPTB would do.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
In Michael Rupperts' 'Collapse' (great film about peak oil) Micheal is asked by the interviewer, whether or not hes been called a conspiracy theorist. Michael replied: "Of course ive been called a conspiracy theorist, but i dont deal with conspiracy theories, i deal with conspiracy fact."

This came to my mind for whatever reason. Unfortunately, the MSM has dubbed conspiracy theory has a dirty term, and those who believe that, have little understanding of anything, let alone, any 'conspiracy theory'.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
I going with "hidden truth hypothesis"

be good

I'm lovin' all the suggestions, but this for me is along the right lines, but is it too much of a mouthful lol!!?

It really is harder than you'd think!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

7 syllables vs 6 syllables ...whatever...i'll think about it at work!

be good

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Truth Philosophy?

this is fun

new topics

top topics

join