It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ableton live for making music.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Just wanted to say I bought ableton live a few weeks ago and its the most awesome music making software I've found.

I've been a Cubase / Protools type guy for most of my life, but Ableton works more like an instrument and you can be very Intuitive with it.

I also love fruity loops and use that as a plugin to ableton.

Anyways here's some cool video's showing what Ableton can do for anyone who's interested.

P.S. the only downside I've found is the sounds that come with it are a little weak, so its good to use external VST sounds and instruments.
edit on 11-12-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, very interesting. I more of a Cubase fan myself. Have you heard of Beardyman?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I use Ableton too. Yes, it is amazing, and yes, the pre-packaged sounds do come off weak. Nothing worse than putting hours into a song just for you snare drum to get lost in the bass on CD. I suppose that's more user error than anything but still lol.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That's awesome! Reminds me of the Keller Williams approach just with hip hop and techno in mind..
Does live have any good effects or plugins?
It looks really intuitive and easy to get running.
That dude is really good with it.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I'm finishing my home studio right now and I'm a little tired of reason/record, there a bit labor intensive. Live looks like FUN.!

Gavin Castleton is way talented.

Cool cover of Sledgehammer.
edit on 11-12-2010 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Hey man, yeah its keller williams style I guess (I actually never heard his music (i will right now) but I think he uses a pedal). The thing that makes live awesome is that all the clips are seperate and you can stop them and launch them whenever you want. The Akai Apc 40 is an awesome controller for launching clips and recording clips on the fly check it out. As far as effects it has A TON and you can just drag them into whatever track you like. Without ever hitting the stop button.

It has a session view (which is kinda for live jamming, and an arrangement view). Basically you can record your live jams in session view, after your done recoding your live jam you can edit it in Arrangement View (which is more traditional like Cubase or protools) to fine tune your work.

They have a 30 day free trial that fully works if you wanna try it

Dam I should work for them. lol

P.S. I actually payed for an mpc 5000, right after that I found Ableton and totally lost interest in the MPC... sold it shortly after lol.
edit on 11-12-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Sure is a big step up from using the old jam man box, running loops and adding one at a time - all on top of each other with zero editing capability.
When I first started recording I was using 2 cassette decks and bouncing between them to build tracks.
Tells you how old I am lol.
We've come such a longggggggggggg way!

Thanks for the info on ableton.
Think I;m going to be trying it out.

new topics

top topics

join