It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010: Top Google Searches-International

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Year-end findings show that top searches include the World Cup, Chatroulette and the fastest-rising term, Justin Bieber...Major sporting events like the football World Cup were among the top searches on the internet this year, Google says.

The findings were released in Zeitgeist 2010: How the world searched as a year-end aggregation of billions of search queries, which the company says "captures the spirit of 2010".

2010 has been a year of global struggles ranging from the debt crisis and soaring unemployment to catastrophic tragedies caused by both man and nature.

Besides world sporting events, people commonly searched for disaster stories, such as the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, as well as the BP oil spill off the US coast in the Gulf of Mexico.

But beyond all else, the results showed people's preoccupation with celebrity, as shown by queries on Canadian teen sensation Justin Bieber and singer Lady Gaga.

This article (and related) were not at all shocking, but a bit interesting to me because: 1) It gives a snapshot of a world-view of google searches, and 2) I had no idea what "Chatroulette" was (see below), and 3) It shows how diverted/insane the world is

Chatroulette, a controversial website that offers random video chat with strangers, iPad, and Justin Bieber topped the list for the fastest-rising queries.

"Love" was the ninth most popular word searched in Kenya, along with popular social networking sites.

In India, the railway ticketing site IRCTC topped the charts of the year-on-year fastest-rising bracket, followed by queries on smartphones, songs, YouTube, movies and Bollywood stars.

According to the article, it appears that the UK was noted as (being at least a little less concerned with distractions, depending on how one views distractions):

In the UK, terms on the national elections such as "register to vote", "Cameron" and "Labour Party" were among the top 10 on the list of fastest-rising searches for news and current events.

Not surprising, the fastest falling google search was "swine flu." Notably, the 2010 search study ended in November, but I am wondering if Wikileaks would have been included if it continued into December....

Please take a look at the article and the other link, "How the World Searched" below to see where your part of the world played in this study.

www.google.com...

english.aljazeera.net...

Did your "personal" searches via Google or some other engine match with these at all?
Be Honest!

And ETA: Aussies were searching "wikileaks" in November; those smart people from Oz
www.google.com...

edit on 11-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My admisssions:

World Cup,
BP spill,
Haiti & other quakes

And WTH? I guess Justin Beiber
is going to lead the NWO

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I wouldn't believe anything that comes from google. They have their own agenda for skewing search data. So this is a non-story to me.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thewanger

Appreciate your input; but...

If that is true--that they have their own agenda for skewing search data--can't they come up with something a little better than celebs, celebs, celebs....

What is Google's agenda? Anyone?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

they save your search terms.

to go with your facebook and twitter comments.

what do they do with them? well now thats the billion dollar question isnt it.

at the very least, directed advertisements based on your "profile".

at the very worst, use your imagination, some big corporate conglomerate knows how you think. corporations have been known to sell this type of info to the highest bidder. perhaps a government, group, or individual.

or maybe they will just sit on the info, and keep letting it grow, for future evil ideas nobody has thought of yet.

on top of that, they drive around to every single house in the country, and take pictures of them, and steal your wifi information.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see they are building a database. if this new internet bill (they call it the patriot act of the internet) passes in america, then the DHS can just seize all the data google has collected over the years, and have all the information they want on everybody on a silver platter.

this has a 99% chance of happening.

that includes any other websites youve ever used whos server is based in the US.

some keep logs going back years. i wouldnt recommend pirating anything the usual way if this happens.
edit on 11-12-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

they save your search terms.

to go with your facebook and twitter comments.

what do they do with them? well now thats the billion dollar question isnt it.

at the very least, directed advertisements based on your "profile".

at the very worst, use your imagination, some big corporate conglomerate knows how you think. corporations have been known to sell this type of info to the highest bidder. perhaps a government, group, or individual.

or maybe they will just sit on the info, and keep letting it grow, for future evil ideas nobody has thought of yet.

Well said.
I guess that's why I deleted a Google Gmail account years back when I realized that adverts were popping up on the sidebars that perfectly matched the words/issues that were mentioned in my "private" emails.

But back to the issue of the "Top Google Searches"; given all that has been said about how potentially powerful Google is, then wouldn't the following be considered: 1) that they are the most accurate in providing the data?, 2) or because of the aforementioned that no one trusts the data,? or 3) is it they purposefully mislead with the data to pretend the world is more ignorant than we think?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yep...that sounds about right

Celeb news and wang-vision

I am suprised however that BP wasn't in there.

and yep, Gary Coleman is still dead

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Yep...that sounds about right

Celeb news and wang-vision

I am suprised however that BP wasn't in there.

and yep, Gary Coleman is still dead

BP was one of the top 5 along with World Cup, Olympics, Haiti quake, and Icelandic volcano...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
How is 2012 not in the top search word/phrases?

I also don't believe this because ATS tells me that every American watches dancing with the stars so it must be true and it must be searched about I would think.... you silly fat Americans with your dancing stars.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Originally posted by whoshotJR
How is 2012 not in the top search word/phrases?

Because the masses aren't conspiracy-minded; 2012 was only a movie, and released earlier than 2010?

I also don't believe this because ATS tells me that every American watches dancing with the stars so it must be true and it must be searched about I would think.... you silly fat Americans with your dancing stars.

Oh, don't you know that Dancing with the Stars has been replaced by "Glee"? Shocked at you!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Year-end findings show that top searches include the World Cup, Chatroulette and the fastest-rising term, Justin Bieber...Major sporting events like the football World Cup were among the top searches on the internet this year, Google says.

The findings were released in Zeitgeist 2010: How the world searched as a year-end aggregation of billions of search queries, which the company says "captures the spirit of 2010".

2010 has been a year of global struggles ranging from the debt crisis and soaring unemployment to catastrophic tragedies caused by both man and nature.

Besides world sporting events, people commonly searched for disaster stories, such as the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, as well as the BP oil spill off the US coast in the Gulf of Mexico.

But beyond all else, the results showed people's preoccupation with celebrity, as shown by queries on Canadian teen sensation Justin Bieber and singer Lady Gaga.

This article (and related) were not at all shocking, but a bit interesting to me because: 1) It gives a snapshot of a world-view of google searches, and 2) I had no idea what "Chatroulette" was (see below), and 3) It shows how diverted/insane the world is

Chatroulette, a controversial website that offers random video chat with strangers, iPad, and Justin Bieber topped the list for the fastest-rising queries.

"Love" was the ninth most popular word searched in Kenya, along with popular social networking sites.

In India, the railway ticketing site IRCTC topped the charts of the year-on-year fastest-rising bracket, followed by queries on smartphones, songs, YouTube, movies and Bollywood stars.

According to the article, it appears that the UK was noted as (being at least a little less concerned with distractions, depending on how one views distractions):
In the UK, terms on the national elections such as "register to vote", "Cameron" and "Labour Party" were among the top 10 on the list of fastest-rising searches for news and current events.

Not surprising, the fastest falling google search was "swine flu." Notably, the 2010 search study ended in November, but I am wondering if Wikileaks would have been included if it continued into December....

Please take a look at the article and the other link, "How the World Searched" below to see where your part of the world played in this study.

www.google.com...

english.aljazeera.net...

Did your "personal" searches via Google or some other engine match with these at all?
Be Honest!

And ETA: Aussies were searching "wikileaks" in November; those smart people from Ozwww.google.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My searches would have been economical. I'm surprised people don't keep up with the economy often.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by militia66
My searches would have been economical. I'm surprised people don't keep up with the economy often.

And that, my militia, is probably why we are in the sad state that we are in...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
That says a lot about the sad state of affairs the US is in. Too many people are sleepwalking through life without even knowing or caring about the issues.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

I hear you, bro. But check out some of the i'nationals if u feel like it...different

new topics

top topics

join