It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few pointers on Security: Wikileaks and more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hello all,

With the constant discussion, questioning and speculation regarding the "Wikileaks" saga I've noticed a common trend in the view points of a select number of individuals and I'd like to address those in this quick thread.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way, shape or form condoning illegal activities and my expression here-in is simply my observations based upon personal experience.

Okay, to start, let me ask you all a hypothetical question; would you leave the front door of your house unlocked while you went to work/the pub/down to the shopping centre?

I'd presume the vast majority of you would answer "No, of course not!" which is the logical and common sensical answer. Now, let's take that concept and apply it to computer security; I honestly don't understand why so many people fail to realise that transition...

I've seen and heard people complaining about hackers taking advantage of obvious loopholes in the security of various computer networks, typically proclaiming that said hacker is guilty as sin and should be punished by death.

Now I'm not saying that anyone who conducts illegal activity in the form of unauthorizedly accessing a computer system is right (see above disclaimer), however people need to understand that the owners of that particular system need to take a responsibility and attempt to secure it as best they can.

Cutting a long story short, (I told you this would be a quick thread), opportunists with criminal tendencies take advantage of those who fail to prepare or in other words fail to secure their homes, cars, personal possessions etc

The same principle applies in the field of computer security and once again while I'm not condoning the actions of those who illegally access computer networks, what do the general public really expect to happen when people have such a lax or "can't be bothered" attitude towards computer security?

Where does Wikileaks come into the equation you may ask? Well, the general principles is the same, without discussing the content of the leaked cables (that's not what this thread is about), if people are that naive to write down personal and incriminating information in such an unsecure manner then I have no sympathy for them when they get exposed.

The point I'm making is a double edged sword and I expect at least one person to argue that I'm offering advice on how to keep secrets; well yes I am! Knowledge is power, how it's applied depends on whether it's a good or a bad thing...

But in closing, computer security or the principles of security in general are by no means absolute, a dedicated attacker will always find a hole, a way through...

However, if people don't take adequate steps to protect their information then they almost deserve to have it exposed.

Cheers,
edit on 11/12/10 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Maybe it's a bit like when you hear old people talk about how in the old days everyone left their front doors open and didnt really worry about locking up every time they left the house. I'm sure if more people experience security issues on their personal computers then they will take security more seriously.

just my 2 pennies worth

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
but it wasn't a hacker, mr.manning was doing his job accessing the files on a network designed for sharing security information more easily. i think. don't quote me on that,

the biggest security flaw was the fact that he was allowed to bring in a rewritable disk while everyone knowing he had them, insert them to the pc, and erase the music, then write the files onto the cd. i think it is astonishing he was able to do this.

edit on 11-12-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

new topics

join