It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a former President be a VP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Seeing Bubba with Obama last night made me wonder if a former president can be a running mate for VP.

I know former Presidents cant actually run for President but if Obama chose him as his running mate in the next election, it would probably solidify the Democrats chances of winning and we all know who would actually run the country.
Only prolem would be if something did happen to Obama, Clinton would assume the office.
So, I had to wonder, is this a loophole that could allow a former President to be President again?
edit on 11-12-2010 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I don't think there's actually a law or rule against it, but I don't see any former president actually wanting to be vice president. I'd imagine that after having the entire country critiquing their every move for four to eight years they're probably glad to be rid of it once they get used to it not happening anymore.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I would have to say that this is entirely plausible as there are no rules to my own knowledge against the former President becoming VP. Though it has never happened before in American history, it could in the future.

Hey everyone, check out my video "crazy survival dance man" on youtube.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
So, this is a conspiracy site, so heres a conspiracy for you and it doesnt even involve a hit on Obama.
Clinton becomes VP in the election in two years, then a few months later, Obama is declared incompetent, something they should do right now, then Bubba assumes his role as President, for a third time

And also, Billy Boy loved the limelight so i dont think that would dissuade him, plus it comes with obvious perks (Monica)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I don't think Clinton could legally be VP.

12th Amendment

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Since Clinton is now constitutionally ineligible to hold the office of President, I don't think he could be VP. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they found a way around it if that's what they wanted, though. Politicians see the Constitution is just a guideline these days...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

Are you really George Bush trying to get back into power in a spectacular false flag assassination operation to kill Obama so you and your NWO reptilian buddies can get your power back.

NA seriously though.

I don’t know, but surly if a VP can become president then why can’t it work the other way.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yea im sure that the Whitehouse Legal Scholars would love to take this one on some day.
Heres a quote from wikipedia on the 22 amendment and how it relates to the 12th amendment.

There is an open question regarding the interpretation of the Twenty-second Amendment as it relates to the Twelfth Amendment, ratified in 1804, which provides that "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice President of the United States." While it is clear that under the Twelfth Amendment the original constitutional qualifications of age, citizenship, and residency apply to both the President and Vice President, it is unclear if a two-term President could later be elected—or appointed—Vice President. Some argue[6] that the Twenty-second Amendment and Twelfth Amendment bar any two-term President from later serving as Vice President as well as from succeeding to the presidency from any point in the United States presidential line of succession. Others contend[7][8] that the Twelfth Amendment concerns qualification for service, while the Twenty-second Amendment concerns qualifications for election, and thus a former two-term president is still eligible to serve as president. Neither theory has ever been tested, as no former President has ever sought the Vice Presidency, and thus the courts have never been required to make a judgment. In 1980, as former President Gerald Ford was being considered a possible running mate for Republican candidate Ronald Reagan, an issue arose regarding how many terms Ford could serve, if he succeeded to the Presidency, since he served more than two years of Richard Nixon's second term.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

Yes, I was reading about that on another site. It's a conundrum.
I think it would probably go to the Supreme Court and they would find that the eligibility spoken of in the 12th Amendment was referring to age and citizenship and not whether or not he had served before. I think we could see Clinton as VP and I think it would be great!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It would be better to have Hillary as President and Bill at her side for 8 years. Obama is such a disapointment and he does not even get why no one likes him anymore.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think we could see Clinton as VP and I think it would be great!

Haha, yea. Even hardcore Clinton haters, like i once was, love the guy now.
Looking back at his WH years, I can now say that he certainly made his Presidency entertaining, however i dont know that I would want him back in office.
Though we could do worse and at the moment are doing worse.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
If we were to look at the 12th Amendment without differing to the whole Constitution as it is now, which includes the 22nd Amendment, then this theory would apply.

Prior to the 22nd Amendment the qualifications for one to be president were the following: US Constitution: Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

In Section 4 of the same Article, it lists how one can be disqualified:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Note: President Clinton was impeached on two separate counts, but was never convicted. So he would not fall under the disqualifications stated above.

So, we have, up until now only age, citizenship and residency as the requirement. When the 12th Amendment was ratified in 1804, we add the following:

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

This had to be added because the whole of the 12th Amendment modified the Electoral College process of voting for the president and vice president. Prior, the Electoral College would cast their two votes for a president. This led to a stalemate in the election of 1800. Both Andrew Burr and Thomas Jefferson received 73 votes. Under the original law, the choice was placed into the hands of the House of Representatives. Neither candidate was able to receive the majority for a lengthy time. This led to the drafting of the 12th Amendment. Separating the two votes cast by the Electoral College to one for a president, another for a vice president.

Placing into this amendment, "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President..." was foresight of a loop hole with regards to the new process of the Electoral College.

Now, back to the scenario prior to the 22nd Amendment. If President Clinton were to be nominated and elected by the Electoral College, he does not meet the disqualifications set forth in the Constitution (age, residency, citizenship and not impeached).

Once the 22nd Amendment was ratified in 1951, it adds more to the qualification clause of the president. Since this specifically states that no person shall hold the office of presidency that has already served two terms.

Concluding that the qualifications are now the following: Age, citizenship, and residency.
Furthermore, the disqualifications are now the following: Impeachment and tenure (that being having held the office of the presidency for a maximum of two terms.)

Ultimately it would a disaster politically to even nominate someone that would instantly be disqualified for either party.

edit on 11-12-2010 by ownbestenemy because: grammar

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
Haha, yea. Even hardcore Clinton haters, like i once was, love the guy now.

I never really hated him. I hated that he felt it necessary to lie to the country about his personal life. And I hate DADT, but I think he was a pretty good and effective president. I think he would help Obama out quite a bit. If the choice is between Obama/Clinton and Palin or Boehner or almost anyone who's gazing at the 2012 presidency at this time, I'd pick the former.

If people think we can't do worse than Obama, they're in for an unpleasant surprise.

new topics

top topics

join