It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks cables: Pope wanted Muslim Turkey kept out of EU

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

WikiLeaks cables: Pope wanted Muslim Turkey kept out of EU

www.guardian.co.uk

The pope is responsible for the Vatican's growing hostility towards Turkey joining the EU, previously secret cables sent from the US embassy to the Holy See in Rome claim.

In 2004 Cardinal Ratzinger, the future pope, spoke out against letting a Muslim state join, although at the time the Vatican was formally neutral on the question.

The Vatican's acting foreign minister, Monsignor Pietro Parolin, responded by telling US diplomats that Ratzinger's comments were his own...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Once again, we see the Pope's rampant and disgusting imperialism in evidence.

Not only is this a flagrant example of anti-Muslim fascism from someone who really should know better, this is also a typical example of how Christians throughout the world are working to control state / global policy to further their religion.

And no, my Anglican friends - your 'religion' is just as guilty as the Pope's empire in this endeavour.

LEAVE OUR GOVERNMENTS ALONE! It's not for you impose your religious values on normal people through influencing state policy!!!!

Rev.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
where to find more info?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SheScreamsMyName

Hi there. If you go to the Guardian article, you'll be able to read about this in detail.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
To further support the notion that the current Pope, and his Christian followers are imperialist scumbags..

Another leaked cable about Irish Child Abuse and the Vatican

This shows how the Vatican was EVIDENTIALLY engaged in covering its ass instead of protecting vulnerable children in Ireland. They expected the Irish government, a sovereign power, to bow down and kiss the pope's butt.

How very Christian.

The Revenant.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
????????????????????????????????????????????????/

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant
Not only is this a flagrant example of anti-Muslim fascism from someone who really should know better,

Ratzinger is not anti-Islam. Pope Benedict went to Turkey .. went to a mosque .. and bowed to Mecca. This is something that is against Christianity .. to bow to a false religion (false according to christianity). If he wants Turkey not to be part of the EU, it's for many reasons, not because he's anti-islam (even though technically, as Pope, he should be)

To further support the notion that the current Pope, and his Christian followers are imperialist scumbags..

Way to go ... just looooooooove that tolerance of how people worship God.

Do you get upset when people lump all muslims together as radical murdering idiots?
If so .. then why did you just lump all Catholics together as 'imperialist scumbags'?
BTW .. according to official Catholic teaching, Catholics do not 'follow the pope'.
They follow the teachings, as best they know how, of Jesus.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
who can blame him.

i wouldnt want them in there either.

hell if it were up to me id kick em out of nato too.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Once again, we see the Pope's rampant and disgusting imperialism in evidence.

In what way is this imperialism? He would not like to see Turkey, a secular Muslim nation, join a Secular Christian Europe. It is a clash of civilization regardless of how you want to interpret it differently.

IMPERIALISM :: the policy of extending the rule or influence of a country over other countries or colonies

Not only is this a flagrant example of anti-Muslim fascism from someone who really should know better, this is also a typical example of how Christians throughout the world are working to control state / global policy to further their religion.

Anti-Muslim fascism, how is that? His opinion was to keep an Islamic nation from joining a continent founded on Christianity, as much as you would not like to hear that. How are Christians enforcing their laws throughout the world? Not every country is even Christian. In much of Europe Christians make up less than half of the population today, so I really do not understand your logic.

In addition calling something fascism does not make it fascism but it does make you sound ignorant.

And no, my Anglican friends - your 'religion' is just as guilty as the Pope's empire in this endeavour.

Where is this “empire”? I see an empire of endless consumerism, corporatism, and statism but no Protestant empire.

LEAVE OUR GOVERNMENTS ALONE! It's not for you impose your religious values on normal people through influencing state policy!!!!

European nations are supposed to be a democracy, if the citizens wish to have Christian laws and vote that way then as long as they are not too far reaching they should and would be implemented. Just because you take issue with someone’s religion does not mean they should be denied respect from you. I say Europe should be put to the vote of any succession of Turkey into the Union, allow the Europeans to decide for themselves.

According to a SunVote poll in the UK from July 27, 2010 the results are as follows to this question:

"Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?"

20.98% Yes
74.63% No
04.39% Don't Know

Every people’s have the right to self-determination and as such the accession of such a controversial nation to the EU should be put to a vote. It appears to me the people of the United Kingdom would vote ‘No’ on such a proposal.

It is hardly about the decision of the Vatican on this issue, they can say whatever they want that will not truly change anything. So please stop with your consistent use of the word ‘fascism’ in nearly every post of yours. This is not fascism.
edit on 12/11/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
oh and for the record,

the saudi cables were much worse than this.

so when you say "normal people" surely you arent speaking of islamic officials, or their subsequent followers.
edit on 11-12-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The Pope is a racist nazi scumbag!

Turkey is the most secular state compared to other islamic nations and recently a poll suggested that 80% of turkey were against any kind of Sharia law.

Lets give these people a chance.

We are ready to accept millions of people from Pakistan, india, afghanistan ,iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Algeria yet we won't allow turkey to join the EU?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I don't think they should let Turkey join the E.U. either,nothing to do with religon more to do with people.Ever since 2004 when Poland etc got full E.U. membership my country is overrun with eastern Europeans.They get priority on council housing lists-I personally have been on said list for 6 years without even an offer of housing,even though I live in an overcrowded home.in my block of flats about 25 percent of the flats have been filled wih Poles etc.Every Friday night they drink,fight kick peoples doors,smash windows etc.They are arrogant,look at you like you are sh**and even refuse to use the lift(elevator)if other residents are already in it.They want the benefits(social security included)of our society but refuse to even be civil let alone integrate.Jobs are in short supply due to a hell of a lot being taken by E.U migrants.The government does nothing due to commercal interests as they have lowered wages for the average Brit due to cheap labour.An election pledge of the Conservatives was to cut non E.U .immigration-this is not the problem it is E.U immigration!Have these people in government not noticed that since 2004 and these eastern European countries joined that Brits are struggling to find work,housing and the amount of benefits claimants has gone through the roof?Another country joining will only make these problems worse but of course it's us people at the bottom of the ladder that suffer as the M.P.s don't live beside or have any dealings with these immigrants so they have no clue as to how it really is down here on the bottom rung!I think we need to seriously look into this E.U passport to live anywhere in the E.U carry on as it is going to lead to trouble and or rioting in Britan sooner or later.
edit on 11/12/2010 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Vatican although treated like a separate state resides in Italy. Italy although part of the PIIGS has received less blows to their economy and unemployment. I guess if the pope wants to have it good with fellow Italian Catholics should openly condone relocation for some millions of Turks in Italy in order to find jobs. That's not what he can and might do in Vatican's secret politics behind the curtains though.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Maybe its just me, but every release so far is just propaganda. They seem just as good as any of the msm. As if they are attempting to stoke public opinion, ie, a scam.

The fact that its now mainstream, just tells me that the program is co-opted, designed to form a _____, fill in the blank.

The pope is a pr master. The vatican could indeed still be in charge of the world. Turkey and Iran are still enemies of old to the pope, so why would it be a surprise for Ratzinger to say that?

The more that comes from wl, the more it stinks like a bad soap opera. Not much for facts, just lots of conjecture. If this is all they have, wikileaks should just be deemed worthless. If riots need to be started, make sure its over something meaningful, not just rumors or opinions. There's alot more to complain about in actual published laws to really worry about these cables being released.

Just a big distraction, I think.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is great. The Pope doesn't want MUSLIM Turkey in the EU. So? Neither does France. France will leave the EU if Turkey gets in and the whole thing will collapse.

Another question for those who see this as imperialism at its finest: I'm sure if you were to look at Saudi or another Middle Eastern country's cables, they'd be saying keep Christians out of the ME. Is that also imperialism?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

Turkey Doesn't belong in Europe and also it isn't in Eupore
Turkey Crimes from the past and not mention they are once again trying to restore there old Ottoman Empire.

Turkey isn't even part of eupore.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by The Revenant

Turkey Crimes from the past and not mention they are once again trying to restore there old Ottoman Empire.

Technically they are. Their capital city is divided between Europe and Asia. Nonetheless, their entrance would end the EU.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

What do you mean it isn't 'part' of the European union? Israel has made indications that it would like to join the EU on several occasions....i would much rather have Turkey in Europe than Israel, then again the way Europe is .ed i don't want a European union at all..sooo, i really don't care for any of this talk at all. The EU could have been great, sadly it is not.

edit on 11-12-2010 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

In what way is this imperialism? He would not like to see Turkey, a secular Muslim nation, join a Secular Christian Europe. It is a clash of civilization regardless of how you want to interpret it differently.

It's okay that you don't understand big words. It's okay that you've been tricked into this "civilization" ordeal, regardless of how you want to interpret it.

The real truth(and it's very simple at that),

is that the West(and by that I mean powerholders like the Vatican) do not want Turkey to join the EU, because once entered they would have a big say in European matters(so no more pro-Israeli policies, pro-child abuse polities, pro-shell policies, pro-banker policies, etc etc). This is the core of the matter and it would be wise to question what you know before trying to prove someone else wrong.

Really? Go back to elementary school and pick up a map and see what you learned before you forgot it(if you ever did learn). The old Ottoman Empire? Something tells me you need to let go of the past, it is so annoying for someone to claim something while at the same time, being a beacon of ignorance. Also, fix your English. And your knowledge of history.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well, this is really not surprising and I don't want Turkey in the EU yet either, simply because of the present state of that country and the EU tried to grow too quickly anyway and lost a little balance.

But it is also sad, that the other subject now has drowned, talking about "Irish Child Abuse and the Vatican".

Maybe that is worth another thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join