It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

which gov't agency....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What US government agencies/positions would be the most privy to knowledge of ETs/UFOs/etc. I'm thinking something in the intelligence community (obviously), but where?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I would think the NSA/CIA would be a safe bet for that information if it exist. For the most likely military branch I would say army/airforce

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I'm guessing the Navy would have guite a bit of information too.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Any branch except the Marines and Coast guard I think they would get left out of the loop

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It`s the one that nobody knows about due to the fact it`s top secret.Any govt agency that we now of ie NSA CIA MI5 MI6 would not cover the really sensitive stuff that effect mankind.There agencies are to large with to many people that cannot be controlled.If a group within the agency were to disagree there is the potential to leak info.The really juicy stuff that everyone wants to now about don`t excist or do they!

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
In the military, I would guess the Air Force. Specifically, their Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI). One the surface it looks like they just deal with internal AF crimes, but who knows? Looks can be deceiving. From a civilian standpoint, probably the CIA.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
thanks for the info everyone =)

as far as the CIA goes, what type position? analytical? clandestine? other?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The NRO. The secrecy branch of the Air Force. It came into existence in the 60s and the public didn't even know about it until the 90s.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i checked out the NRO's website last night, didnt see any links relating to employment. would it be safe to assume that you pretty much have to be picked for the job, by being recruited out of some other agency?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Best theory I heard was that the only people who originally were in the know in the 1940s were those who had proven themselves in war. The CIA was out of the loop for some time since there was a fear that they had so many "moles" and the military wasn't fond of the CIA's self-serving Ivy League pretty boys being privy to this info. So only "true Americans" that had seen battle and shown their character in the Army/Air Force got access to this information.

Eventually my guess is that the CIA had to be brought in (1950s) to hide the funds to build top secrect projects or black programs, but I bet to this day they aren't in the know as much as some people think. The CIA is still well known for the number of agents that have given up US secrects, so trusting them with the knowledge of aliens is probably very limited. I bet the CIA was doing its own digging into UFO encounters separate from the military...possibly to this day.

So those agencies that probably have info are NASA, USAF, DOD, NRO, NSA, and I would guess the Navy to a limited degree due to the amount of sightings at sea. I doubt any of them control the big picture, but all are aware of alien intrusions into our air space.

Now who controls it? Let's think about past top secrect revelations: There's the hotel that was to be the nuclear hideout for congress in West Virgina. Dick Cheney's vice presidential hide out at Raven Rock, Pennsylvania. Groom Lake for testing black projects. New Mexico for testing nuclear weapons in the 1940s. President Bush is flown to Offutt AFB in Nebraska on 9/11 (though the home to the Strategic Air Command, would you think this would be where the president would hide out at?)

The pattern is that vital info and people are hidden in remote locations and not well known bunkered places. My guess is that the hiding of alien info and material is also being done the same way (if not possibly in some of those places I mentioned above). As far as we know this stuff could be hiding in South Dakota!

Due to the lack of a united intelligence structure we saw with 9/11, my guess is that the no known intelligence agency controls alien info.

My guess is that it is on a military base, centrally located, yet not very prominant or well publicized. I also see the possibility that some of this info could be in Canada or Australia due to their remoteness and ties to the US and their ability to circumnavigate the US legal system. Although not well hidden, I do like SAC in Offutt Nebraska as a possibility for a holder of this info but I am only guessing (look how much important info is tied in with them and with the cold war over they would be a great place to continue an important mission):

www.stratcom.af.mil...

One group that may know some answers are the: Secret Service! They seem to have a plan for all these emergencies so my guess is that they would have some inkling of what to do during some sort of alien revelation. Now they may follow the same procedure with aliens that they would with terrorists or nuclear attack....but my gut says someone there is in the know since they are responsible for the safety of our government. That also means that someone in FEMA would have to be in the know or be controlled by someone in the know since FEMA is responsible for these "shelters" where govt. officials hide.

Still that isn't the true answer, the truth would be you would have to have some sort of MJ-12 set up where no one man could control this info or make decisions for our world based on his whims or beliefs. You would have to have a council of military heads, intelligence heads, and maybe scientific leaders. And to control each member they would have to be tied in with the military so that certain "rights" of rebel members wishing to follow their own agenda could be dealt with (keep them in the fold). I could see the Pentagon as being a great place for such a group to meet monthly and report back on what their agencies have discovered then all could vote on how to progress with this knowledge. Finally these members would not be some full time alien council, they would have their other normal jobs as a cover and not draw suspicion such as "hey why is Gen. Black always around the Pentagon but doesn't work in any department, yet has some Level 2000 security pass?".

All I know for sure is that some place is a "front" for the real stuff going on. They may be selling candy and newspapers in the store, but in the backroom they are doing the real business. And the real owners aren't in the store, but all over the country checking on how the "business" is going. The mob and the secrect UFO leaders have a lot in common on how they get things done, the only difference is that no one is able to wire tap and spy on the secrect UFO guys.

The one agency that is in the know...doesn't exist. It's the same as the silly Groom Lake thing where the US said "we don't have a base there" while they continued to work on secrect aircraft. No agency means no threat of revelation. There is a group and that group probably has no name or "official" standing which means no chance to discover it.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Boogie: very informative, thanks a ton for the insight and information

something else ive wondered...does the fbi actually have an 'x-files-ish' department, to investigate unsolved/unexplained crimes? i realize this question is possibly absurd, but ive been wondering about it for a while.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by rocket lad]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I doubt it�s a position that you can apply for, like boogie said, you probably would have to prove yourself before they would trust you with the information.

The NSA runs an organization within OPS 1 called DEFSMAC, which stands for Defense Special Missile and Astronautics Center. Officially, it is supposed be the chief warning bell for the launch of foreign rockets, but I would imagine with the network they run that they would be prepared to deal with UFOs as well. McNamara established the organization after the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the director of the DIA was quoted as saying �You didn�t want NORAD [the North American Air Defense Command] fooling around in technologies that they didn�t understand, or trying to evaluate a bunch of raw data, so DEFSMAC was put in.�

I suppose you could interpret that any way you want, but the first part of his sentence (about unknown technologies) seems to indicate that they may deal with more than just ICBMs.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Has anybody considered that this group may not even be a part of any government? Some corporations have more money than entire countries. Or, they don't have to be a corporation, just a group. MJ-12 is rumored to be a private organization, once a part of the United States government, yes, but ceased to be so in 1969.

Also, I think this group would want a very small group of people to know what's going on. For example, if the group's leaders wanted to reverse engineer, say, an engine, would they really want the engineer to know the whole project? He simply doesn't need to know. They offer him a great deal of money, say the technology is some old Russian invention or something, and get going. In case the engineer don't want the job, he won't be able to tell anybody exactly what kind of engine it was etc.

Same with the crew over at Area 51. People who work topside, cleaning, building, etc, don't know anything about any underground facility, let alone anything "alien".

This way, the group can minimize the risks of someone talking. Maybe they even have insiders within NSA and CIA etc, to oversee what kind of transmissions, if any, are made between induviduals.

I have a movie on my computer called the "Roswell Incident", and it's obvious what it is about. Anyway, a man in that documentary said that he worked within a group only known as "The Nine" or something, and they were just like Majestic 12. In the same documentary, a person from the CIA is interviewed, and he said that if there were a crash, they would know within 5 years - they didn't recieve anything.

Anyway, we also have to consider the possibility that maybe there never was any crash. No bodies, no saucer, no technology. Maybe Project Blue Book was a start of a organization within the Air Force, but they never got anything, so they put the whole thing down. Maybe the government are as puzzled as we are about these UFO's, but considering that nothing "important" have happened since the first claims, it could be difficult to actually do something about it. I mean, do we have agencies to research the Loch Ness monster? Big foot? The mothman? All claims about dragons, ghosts, time travelers? Just like if there were a new kind of birds tomorrow. It's impossible to catch them, they are rarely pictured, and people overall have little info on them. After some time, people realize that these new birds don't possesses any threats, because they just fly around and have never done any harm to people, etc.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm sure there are other agencies that we don't know about, much as we didn't know about the NRO, or unrecognized private companies with government backing handling the situation.

I wouldn't worry about the unknown agencies. Since this type of secret is so big that a lot of groups must know about it, the secret holders we know about that deal with this subject are the ones that should be at the center of scrutiny.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocket lad
What US government agencies/positions would be the most privy to knowledge of ETs/UFOs/etc. I'm thinking something in the intelligence community (obviously), but where?

I came across this, I think it was from one of the technical
articles at: www.disclosureproject.org...

"..In order for any officer to know about specifics of
UFO programs, he'd have to be cleared ABOVE TOP SECRET
for Special Access to Sensitive Compartmented
Information (SCI) in Unacknowledged Special Access
Programs (USAPs), classified in the upper numeric
Levels of Q clearance [30 or higher],with
ULTRA/UMBRA/COSMIC/KEYSTONE additional clearances."

USAPs by their nature are all compartmented programs,
funded with "black project" money that is not accountable
nor tracable. Estimates are, literally, "trillions" have been
spent on "black project" programs, every sci-fi sounding
concept you can name.

Every now and then you might come across information
about something that might be one of the projects..
for example a nuclear powered subterranium tunnel
digger that melts rock, used to build the
underground complexes that seem to turn up whenever
"secret" military installations are discussed.

There were articles back in the 60s describing something said
by observers to be a UFO, but had all the characteristics
of a nuclear pebble bed design air breathing jet engine that
malfunctioned. Articles in newspapers commented about a
military evacuation of a few surrounding towns, and military
people in radiation protective environmental suits, then nothing
ever heard about it again.

The list goes on and on. Real UFO research would be
very compartmented.. possibly no people from the alphabet
soup names.. NSA, CIA, Omega, DoD.. would be directly
involved.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mockan

The list goes on and on. Real UFO research would be
very compartmented.. possibly no people from the alphabet
soup names.. NSA, CIA, Omega, DoD.. would be directly
involved.

I agree on it being compartmentalized but I differ on not having people from the alphabet soup names. How do you recruit or get people to run this UFO group if you had no dealings with the other known agencies? Plus you would want reports from these agencies from around the world so that this group could disect the info and focus their work.

....let's say you need the NRO to get it's funding boosted in order to track a wave of new sightings, or maybe increase research into more FLIR cameras after the sightings of Mexico (or also stop selling military craft with FLIR to other countries so they can't see these craft), or maybe you see an upswing in sightings in Chile and want to send an aircraft carrier down there to monitor the skies. If the group is too isolated then they will be paralyzed and unable to use the info they have gathered.

My guess is that there may be 9 to 40 people in charge of this stuff with a lifelong commitment and penalty of death at revealing this info and maybe death for their family if necessary (or maybe just a tragic life awaits...Kennedys maybe?). They would gather info from all the agencies which would either be forwarded to the head of that agency who would report to this council or be on this council....or the agencies are all told to forward this info to XYZ where it is managed by a lifelong staff (which would have a "front" so as to not offically exit) who prepares this info for the council to decide how to manage the UFO phenomenon. BUT...sending info to a single group opens a possible security hole where only one key is needed to get in or know about this group, so I think each agency sends a rep. Either way this council has got to be made up of "real people" who have real power in convincing parts of the government to shift resources where it's needed in order to investigate/combat the UFO phenomenon.

The military is in on this 100%...yet there is also a level of civilian paint or what I call "folksiness" over the truth. If you look at my last post describing top secrect revelations, you have this kind of "folksy" secret places where things are hidden...by farms, resorts, Nebraska, etc. Only Area 51 is really a "hot spot", but back in the day I bet it was low key before all the attention. Real people were involved that watched football, ate McDonald's, had families...so I don't think there is some dark chamber of American SS Nazis hidden from life that sit all day deciding how to control the UFO phenomenon. I think it is more likely that current and probably former intel and military leaders sit on this council deciding what to do about the UFOs. Sort of like how think tanks work...a think tank would also be very good cover story.

Just my opinon, but I like to look to past revelations about top secret information to decide on where more may be hidden.

Good subject! This gets us down to the nitty-gritty of what's going on...I hope others post!

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
From what I've gathered, there are a few organizations involved...

Thing is, it all seems managed by one agency that used to go by many names... First, as the working group (after Roswell), then Majestic 12 when the CIA was formed. Army intel and Navy intel were the ones initially involved, but when the CIA was formed, all the info filtered through it for dissemination...

This was to keep a handle on things, no matter what branch of the military found something...then to be sent to Majestic, secretive agency of NSA, which of course is no longer called Majestic.

Of course, your average guy in the intel services knows nothing about it...it's highly compartmentalized. However, there does seem to be some organization to this. The department of Naval Intelligence seems to be the ones sponsoring (at least on the surface), some of the reverse engineering projects, whereas crash retrieval is done by Army Intelligence...

top topics

join