It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Urgent, Not Important, Dont Bother Clicking On This Thread: Britain To Freeze To Death

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I found another article on the unusual cold in the UK.

www.express.co.uk...

Jonathan Powell, senior forecaster with Positive Weather Solutions, said icy conditions were on the way back by the middle of next week after a brief weekend thaw. He said plummeting temperatures could even surpass the -27.2C (-17F) recorded in Braemar in 1982 – the coldest temperature in Britain.

Here, central Canada, yesterday it was -20. This morning it had dipped down to -35 celcius.

Jonathan Powell said the prolonged cold snap would leave Britain “the coldest country in the northern hemisphere” and “on a par with Siberia”. He said: “By next weekend, winds are turning northerly and there will be a true Arctic blast sweeping the country. Snow will fall as far as Bodmin in the South-west.

On par with Siberia might be a bit of a stretch. Parts of Siberia get way colder than Canada ever does, and in the north and middle, we seem to average -20, which isn't too bad, to -40, which is way too cold. Then add on wind chill some days.

From Wikipedia: "With a lowest record temperature of −71.2 °C (−96.2 °F), Oymyakon (Sakha Republic) has the distinction of being the coldest town on Earth."

Now that's way, way, way too cold.

Millions of Britons are being forced to turn down their thermostats as gas and electricity prices spiral.

Hopefully it's illegal for the power companies to turn off power in the winter, no matter what the cost. This is not the year to skimp on heat.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Gulf stream stopped?

Get the DVD - "The Day After Tomorrow"

This pundit just added the BP oil spill to that.

He pumps out loads of tosh on his YT channel, and looks like just another attention seeker.

Next?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The Gulf Stream has not stopped, it has been diverted, it now goes up to Greenland and then heads back down to the UK from there, very surprised to see that people don't know this, thought it was common knowledge

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This article from 2005 says that the gulf stream has been slowing down due to global warming: www.timesonline.co.uk...

A more current observation: www.telegraph.co.uk...

According to Prof Mark Maslin, of University College London, there seems – at present – "to be no evidence of changes in the Atlantic circulation which could account for the last two harsh winters". There are, he says, shorter-term patterns in ocean circulation which have a major effect, and have been linked to the severe winters in the 1940s and 1960s. But again, that is probably not the case today.

edit on 12-12-2010 by scwizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I was thinking about the Gulf Stream last week when we got all that snow.

I thought the exact same thing as this video suggests.

It may not be true though because it's a lot warmer here the last couple of days.

Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Nothing to worry about - there won't be any ice age unless the gulf stream stops running, which has NOT HAPPENED yet: rads.tudelft.nl...

So, happy winter time, happy holidays, go out with the kids a lot, they enjoy the snow

CaseCloser

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I doubt it will be illegal for them to turn off the power & gas as you would think it would be illegal for them to raised the prices in the first place. (especially since it was found they had been over charging us for years, when I say us, I mean, ALL OF US)

Then theres the extortion rackets they were pulling on people (probably still are) where they refuse to take payment (happened to me with gas, they tell you they dont provide your gas electricity) and after while most people will change provider as they fear being shut off, then as soon as you change provider they start harrasing you for the hundereds & in some cases thousands of pounds! threatening you with court, cutting of your gas (which they CANNOT DO once you change provider, but they still threaten you with it!) SCUM of the highest order! Papers ran some stories on it for about a day or two, then it was never mentioned again!

In terms of weather in Glasgow its 20:30 & the entire place is covered in ice, its been getting worse all day, Frost in the morning yes, thats normal, frost getting worse throughout the whole day? Not so much! I think tomorrow is going ot be DEADLY given how icy the roads were this morning and how criminally incompetent Glasgow City Council is! I have not seen a gritter one single time today and the entire place is covered in ICE!, and this after the shambles last week that effectively closed down most of the city!

We dont need another ice age to cripple the UK, just a few more weeks of weather like last week will do the job!

edit on 12-12-2010 by S3ns1bl3 because: spelling

edit on 12-12-2010 by S3ns1bl3 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by puzzledtruther

Yes - it is the chemical dispersants, not so much the oil, that has wreaked havoc in the Gulf waters and affected the stream. I'm in complete agreement with your Dr. Zag. For those wanting to know more check out the 'Up to the Minute' thread on the BP page...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
WARNING! WARNING! Disinformation present in the thread:

BRITAIN AND EUROPE ARE HEADING INTO A WINTER UNLIKE ANY SEEN IN OUR LIFE TIMES. THIS IS BECAUSE THE GULF STREAM IS GONE. THE GULF OF MEXICO BP OIL SPILL KILLED THE GULF LOOP WHICH IS THE DRIVING FORCE OF THE GULF STREAM. IN THE PAST IT HAS BROUGHT WARM WATER AND AIR OVER TO THE COAST OF IRELAND AND THE UK, WHICH IS THE MAIN REASON WE DONT ALREADY SUFFER WINTERS ON A PAR WITH N.CANADA AND RUSSIA. WELL, THE GULF STREAM IS GONE - AND WE ARE HEADING INTO A WINTER THAT THIS COUNTRY SIMPLY CANNOT COPE WITH. WE HAVE ALREADY SEEN A HORRENDOUS START TO THE UK WINTER WITH MORE SET TO FOLLOW NEXT WEEK, WITH FORECASTERS SAYING ITS GOING TO BE HERE TIL XMAS (THATS AS FAR AS THEY FORECAST FOLKS! THIS IS HERE FOR THE LONG HAUL)

Note: Title and OP adjusted and adapted to satisfy the ATS members:

-- Apparently this is very normal and nothing to worry about...

-- Apparently trying to present information relevant to humanity is not permitted unless accompanied with a lengthy personal opinion despite facts in a video that speaks for itself...

-- Note the stars attributed to anything derailing this thread... Spreading truth is difficult as of late...
edit on 11-12-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

I actually just read a very interesting article in The Daily mail about Global Warming, and the fact that's it's basically a farce! It's a very good read if you can find it. I think it was printed on Dec. 5th...?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Just a thought: if GS is weakened really by crude, then gusher wasn't healed & there're enormous volume of flow.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanks buddy
The onset of these changes in weather really do not seem normal. Not in any way. For me personally, it is no longer speculation whether something drastic is occuring earthwide that is unique and powerful and unseen before in the last 10,000 years. Something is wrong.

10,000 years?

1997 was the last time it snowed this early in the winter in the uk...

As a child we had as much snow as this.

There was a mini ice age in the 1600's, the thames in london froze over...

not happening now...it's just cold

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
All i know is the UK has been having very abnormal weather for this time of year, I'm not talking about any particular part, i'm talking about UK as a whole, we have been breaking records for snow fall and low temps, i'm not saying the gulf stream has stopped but something defanitely isn't right, and yes, this type of weather might be normal if you live in america, russia or the scottish highlands, but i'm talking about the UK and no, its NOT normal AT ALL.

Also i'd just like to add, don't even bother quoting the metoffice or many of the other websites because they are wrong %90 of the time! last year they told us a barbecue summer and mild winter, yet we had a terrible summer and one of the worst winters on record, unless you do your own research and your a climate scientist your just quoting somebody elses work which could very well be wrong.
edit on 12-12-2010 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

Your quite right about the Met office getting it wrong in 2009, in fact because of that they "Gave up" on long-time forecasting.

www.dailyexpress.co.uk...

But now, they're back at it as this mid-week we're due to back into deep-freeze and as forecast a week ago, it could last well into the new year. You are also quite right as to the weather pattern being abnormal, and especially here at my location, and the answer here is the lack of dominance of the prevailing wind, usually a westerly and always associated with the Gulf Stream, in fact there is no noticeable wind speed at all here for quite some time. The last I noticed were actually damaging southerlies, which did a good job of stripping the leaves in very quick time. In short, unusual weather. Btw, the thaw, albeit it supposedly temporary here a few days ago was phenomenal and overnight, and I'm talking about hard packed ice and snow just gone, even in the mountains. Back to the Met office, or rather the BBC forecast source, the latest there is that the WHOLE of the UK will be back to low temperature weather from the north by midweek.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

Yup. You got to love the scaremongering these people are putting on.

River Thames frost fairs

River Thames frost fairs were held on the Tideway of the River Thames at London between the 15th and 19th centuries when the river froze over. During that time the British winter was more severe than now, and the river was wider and slower.

During the Great Frost of 1683–84, the worst frost recorded in England,[1][2][3] the Thames was completely frozen for two months, with the ice reaching a thickness of 11 inches (28 cm) in London. Solid ice was reported extending for miles off the coasts of the southern North Sea (England, France and the Low Countries), causing severe problems for shipping and preventing the use of many harbours.[4] Near Manchester, the ground was frozen to 27 inches; in Somerset, to more than four feet.

By my reckoning, we are just finishing the first decade of the 21st century. So, that means the River Thames used to freeze over around 200 years ago, right? Well, maybe I'm being a little hard, and these people actually live in like dog or shrew time spans, and 200 years really is 10,000 years to them. It is a possibility.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
S&F Raj. you're right something is going on with the weather, its not just over there though, I live in Northern MN, The tip of Lake Superior actually. Right now, it's for sure one of the coldest winters we've had in a while starting out here, the high today was -10 without wind chill. And its horribly dry here as well with lots of wind off the lake.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

edit on 18-12-2010 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

well yeah we know about the mini ice age so forget global warming. colder winters its very possible they did this on purpose if they made a spill in any other country they would have gotten arrested now all they got is away.they made a lot of money off of this oil spill. and they have a reason to poison our water. its very possible it was done on purpose

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join