It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Urgent, Not Important, Dont Bother Clicking On This Thread: Britain To Freeze To Death

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I imagine corporations started moving out of the US in the 70s due to the fact that it was cheaper to pay some 8 year old kid 2 bucks a day to do backbreaking work with no regulation as opposed to paying workers 14 dollars an hour plus benefits, and having to deal with unions.

Doesn't sound like that grand of a conspiracy to me, but hey, what do I know?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
To be fair to the OP, his information is that the gulf stream has stopped, or rather had already stopped or slowed, and due to a direct result of the BP oil spill. If it has indeed done that, then the net result is indeed the kind of weathering we are seeing now. It is no surprise then, that UK forecasters are "Advertising" that we are in for the big haul this winter, as they would already understand the outcome of any major disruption of the gulf stream. I do not see any mention of the gulf stream in the forecasts? I do see mention of the jet stream being very northerly as being indicative as a reason for the early start of winter. No surprise then that this scenario was already forecast by at least one researcher, Dr Gianluigi Zangari PhD from the Frascati Institute early after the oil spill.

www.rense.com...

Indeed, if what Dr Zangari says is correct, then it also means that what BP has done has exacerbated an ongoing problem in the loop. Here in the UK it is currently a prolonged high pressure, which is usually more noticeable much later on in the winter months when the oceans are much cooler.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Blasted midges! Yes kill them off. Last winter the cold did for a great number of theme so another cold one won't be a problem as far as I am concerned.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It is hard to say how much effect the oil spill is having on the gulf stream it is my belief that the quantity of oil spilled in the gulf could cause the gulf stream to slow but when taking in to effect the use of Corexit (which is banned in Europe) to break up the oil but actually sunk much of it to the bottom. this could lead to the disrupt of the flow of the current causing it to slow and helping to put northern Europe and the East Coast into a situation where they have to heat there homes much of the year BP being a major benefactor from this as the major supplier of natural gas and oil which people heat there homes with. it take more energy and thus cost more to heat your home then to cool it with air conditioning anyone who lives with hot summers and cold winters can look at energy demand figure from 10 years of National Weather Service data on what are called "heating degree days." The index measures daily temperature and power demand and points to how much colder the outside temperature is than a room temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes a difference, because it takes more energy to heat a home on a five-degree day than on a 45-degree one. The colder the day, the more British thermal units (BTU) of heat are required.

By the end of September, BP reported that it had spent $11.2 billion. the total cost is estimated in the 40 billion dollar range not a small amount and looking at the fact that BP was giving full authority over the spill show how influential and powerful they truly are as an organization and The cost per day of the oil spill to BP so far has been $16 million. That number is dwarfed by the $66 million per day the firm made in profit in the first quarter of this year. Indeed, in 2009 BP's total profits were $14 billion. As CNN's Christine Romans notes, even if the cleanup costs were to rise to $14 billion, it would simply mean that BP went one year without make a profit, let alone losing money.

With this in mind the prospect of a mini ice age in Europe would be the best way to boost profits over the next 5 to 100 years especially as humanity reaches the end of the oil age BP don't need a crystal ball to see that because in the end its about the ends justifying the means to achieve them.

thank you for reading

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Current gulf stream information
rads.tudelft.nl...

This page presents four maps of current velocities of the Gulf Stream in the vicinity of the East coast of North-America

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

No surprise then that this scenario was already forecast by at least one researcher, Dr Gianluigi Zangari PhD from the Frascati Institute early after the oil spill.

I am finding it a bit hard to follow your logic here. You note that the jet stream has moved and then point to this piece of unfounded nonsense about the Gulf stream.

I am assuming you do realise the Jet stream is up in the sky? There is a connection between the two, but the weather pattern in the UK (and Ireland) at present is being caused by the Jet stream. It is almost impossible to find anything about this person as the internet is flooded with his rubbish. Just about every tin foil hat in the Universe is spouting his nonsense.

Here is an example of the 'break' he is looking at and the picture below is the 'loop' on the 6th Dec

Looks perfectly healthy to me, and in any even this is just a small part of the current that affects the UK.

I have said it before and I say it again - the oil will not kill the North Atlantic Drift. A change in the cold freshwater balance in the polar pump is what will change if IF it is going to change.

The Frascati Laboratories

The INFN - the National Institute of Nuclear Physics - is an organization dedicated to the study of the fundamental constituents of matter, and conducts theoretical and experimental research in the fields of subnuclear, nuclear, and astroparticle physics. Fundamental research in these areas requires the use of cutting-edge technologies and instrumentation, which the INFN develops both in its own laboratories and in collaboration with the world of industry. These activities are conducted in close collaboration with the academic world.

Their own web site is the source

When an oceanographer tells me it has stopped I will sit up and take notice.
edit on 11/12/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thanks for that. I was looking for it an could not find it.

Looks just fine to me.

reply to post by IblisLucifer

It is hard to say how much effect the oil spill is having on the gulf stream it is my belief that the quantity of oil spilled in the gulf could cause the gulf stream to slow but when taking in to effect the use of Corexit (which is banned in Europe) to break up the oil but actually sunk much of it to the bottom. this could lead to the disrupt of the flow of the current causing it to slow

Would you care to set out how this would be so? First you say that the oil being spilled causes it to slow then you say but the dispersant will cause it to sink, BUT this could lead to a disruption of the flow. I am intrigued to see where you are going with this goat-like logic. It is jumping all over the place.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

For all of us who followed the Gulf of Mexico tragedy, the freezing of Europe and England this year is of no surprise at all. It is true that the main engine of the conveyor belt, the Gulf Loop, did stall this year, and that not as much warm water would make it up that way. What I want to know is, will BP also pay compensation to all the people in Europe and England for this environmental travesty. Probably not, as they are still arguing over how much oil actually spilled out..... The Daily Hurricane has some very good information on this topic.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Really the BP spill was an orchestrated event for the purpose of climate warfare against Europe. Or BP figured they could sell more heating oil in Europe if the gulf stream died.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
As far as I was aware the jet stream was in a slightly different place this year - that's how they explained Moscow's heatwave and Pakistan's flooding...they were related. Maybe that is responsible for the UK's early winter.

There was a post relating to freak weather in Greece earlier in this thread...I would suggest the heavy snow and cold that just hit the UK has continued its journey south east. That's the direction it hit us from. The OP here is just silly whereas some of the additional posts have been genuinely interesting.

Further, research was being carried out a decade ago to check if the Gulf stream was moving east wards and thus denying the UK its warm air....no result. They said they would know in a decade...time's up.

Stop freaking...the weather has always been changeable. When did we last have a perfect spring, summer, autumn or winter? Don't let them charge you extra tax for the weather...meantime DO protect the environement as much as possible for the sake of your childrens' air and water quality,

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
T'would be nice to have input from someone who wasn't worried about losing their exorbitant grant for doing research regarding something that has held their interest for decades......

2nd

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

did you just quote Voltaire, hmmm

We are on the outskirts of a new ice age adapt and survive

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by smurfy

No surprise then that this scenario was already forecast by at least one researcher, Dr Gianluigi Zangari PhD from the Frascati Institute early after the oil spill.

I am finding it a bit hard to follow your logic here. You note that the jet stream has moved and then point to this piece of unfounded nonsense about the Gulf stream.

I am assuming you do realise the Jet stream is up in the sky? There is a connection between the two, but the weather pattern in the UK (and Ireland) at present is being caused by the Jet stream. It is almost impossible to find anything about this person as the internet is flooded with his rubbish. Just about every tin foil hat in the Universe is spouting his nonsense.

Here is an example of the 'break' he is looking at and the picture below is the 'loop' on the 6th Dec

Looks perfectly healthy to me, and in any even this is just a small part of the current that affects the UK.

I have said it before and I say it again - the oil will not kill the North Atlantic Drift. A change in the cold freshwater balance in the polar pump is what will change if IF it is going to change.

The Frascati Laboratories

The INFN - the National Institute of Nuclear Physics - is an organization dedicated to the study of the fundamental constituents of matter, and conducts theoretical and experimental research in the fields of subnuclear, nuclear, and astroparticle physics. Fundamental research in these areas requires the use of cutting-edge technologies and instrumentation, which the INFN develops both in its own laboratories and in collaboration with the world of industry. These activities are conducted in close collaboration with the academic world.

Their own web site is the source

When an oceanographer tells me it has stopped I will sit up and take notice.

"When an oceanographer tells me it has stopped I will sit up and take notice"

So will I !

BTW this is not a department store to mix and match, if you reference my remarks, please reference in context. I don't buy into singular causes anyway, that's what I already said if you read my post properly, and posts elsewhere. The point is the good Dr, rubbish him you may, gave us our weather forecast so far, and correctly as he saw it.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Melting snow prompts flood warning

Melting snow has brought fresh warnings of localised flooding and the closure of an England to Scotland road link.

Yahoo/Reuters news link

Did the Ice Age end already or did it merely stall?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

yeah fair enough they get a big cold spell..but it has happened before....you'll know its a bad one when they put the army on the streets...that will be the best indicator....you sound young and inexperienced.....putting a useless thread on here for people to waste their time on....

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
Ok, a couple of things

the last European ice age began around 1300, and ended around 1800, and was partly responsible for the dark ages!

The gulf stream can be interrupted by an influx of fresh water, or a higher fresh water to salt water ratio.

The gentleman in the video, relating the "failed" gulf stream to the BP spill is purely speculative, and in my opinion quite ludicrous as well.
What is ludicrous is whats going on with BP and the gulf of mexico proper.

I guess my point is, if it is happening, it is a natural occurrence

Be good

Your history sense is apalling, the dark ages were from 500 AD to 1000 AD.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This guy pretty much screwed himself right at the beginning when he said "Britain is completely under a deep freeze, did you see the film of the students in London".

Yes, I did. And there was NO SNOW in London. My mother lives in the South East. Last week, they had one of the biggest snow falls "she's ever seen" (and she's 72!). This week, they have green grass in the yard with a few small patches of snow left.

This guy is a fearmonger, using footage from the big dump of snow last week to try and show that the whole country is in some sort of big freeze. The MSM were all quoting ONE weatherman from the UK who said "he expects to see the cold weather continue well below zero well into the new year" when in actual fact it was only below zero for a few days.

Sensationalist fearmongering at its worst.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
omg it snowing! in northern europe and it winter!!!!
kx

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join