It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Hot is it on the Moon?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

THANK YOU!

That was definitely worth a bumping the thread!

I have NEVER seen both the Earth and the moon together from that perspective, it's a fantastic view!!!

The moon appears much darker in that image than it does from our perspective here on Earth. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that from our Earth perspective we see the moon against a mostly black background whereas that view has a brighter Earth in the background? So I have to wonder if that probe looked at the moon when the Earth wasn't in the frame, if the moon would have an appearance more similar to what we see from Earth, meaning a lighter color?

And speaking of color, what's also interesting is that the moon's color looks more brownish than grayish.

It does make an interesting comparison of the moon versus the Sahara, and I expect other people will be as amazed as I am how dark the moon looks in that comparison.

Thanks again for the great video!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
The moon appears much darker in that image than it does from our perspective here on Earth. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that from our Earth perspective we see the moon against a mostly black background whereas that view has a brighter Earth in the background? So I have to wonder if that probe looked at the moon when the Earth wasn't in the frame, if the moon would have an appearance more similar to what we see from Earth, meaning a lighter color?

It's all about the exposure. In this case, the camera was set to correctly expose the Earth, so the less-reflective moon appeared darker than we usually see it. If they had set the camera (by widening the aperture* or using a longer exposure) to make the moon appear bright against the black background, the Earth would have appeared over-exposed - such as in this picture, in which Alan Shepard set his camera to photograph the shaded front of the Lunar Module Antares, and making the Earth look like a featureless white ball.

A couple of decades ago, they had the original TV model of the Starship Enterprise hanging in the National Air and Space Museum. I was shocked to find that it was not white, like it appeared on Star Trek, but rather a medium grey. The SFX team painted it this darker shade and over-exposed it to make the lights on the inside appear brighter.

*Spacecraft cameras typically have a fixed aperture and vary the exposure time. Fewer moving parts means fewer thing to go wrong..

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
your post has too many errors to mention ---the main one being that you have incorrectly assumed that the readers of this diatribe are as fooled as you are by fake jouneys to the moon...I am the General Hercules of the union of free humans..I am all knowing...I am the enemy of Juda.....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

what do you mean the astronauts who went there...you must be another one of these people nasa employs to publicly lie on their behalf...thats all nasa is a propaganda machine...and ALL their"discoveries and breakthroughs" are simply inventions of brilliant men in their garages that nasa has stolen over the years...people like you are perpetuating the biggest lie ever thrust upon us...this is a crime against humanity..this fake moon landing has tainted us all...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It's funny how a serious exchange of knowledge unprovoked and offered for no monetary exchange seems to root out all of those cockroaches from the depths and shadows of how our school system has regressed to conspiracies since we went to real public educational systems when they still worked. Very sad they walk amongst us. Sadder they passionately believe, and worse they think they have some superior vision, yet are not scientists. Hmm.

BTW, Thanks for a great explanation of an issue I've been exchanging known fact to with those not interested in researching. But alas a link never touched or read let alone comprehended by the stedfast 'superior beings' that know we are wrong with not one single reference or link, will go down the wormhole of ignorance and stubbornness.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Illustronic

The delusion you have, exists in ALL realities, you have learnt nothing Q.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: Illustronic

The delusion you have, exists in ALL realities, you have learnt nothing Q.

You resurrected a 3+ year old thread just to post a personal comment?

Have anything useful to add to the thread?

~~~

This is an excellent thread with lots of interesting facts, gonna have a read-through now

edit on 26-8-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

This is an excellent thread with lots of interesting facts, gonna have a read-through now

you came up with that conclusion before you even read the thread....impressive

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
From the way dust particles on the moon do not 'hang in the air' I presume Americans set foot on the moon, just one small item I know, but that's good enough for me, plus the flag only moved when the pole was being held, by hand.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
A very long time ago, I remember seeing Edgar Mitchell on a talk show during the day in the latter half of the '70's, like the Today Show or something, and he was answering questions about the colors on the moon and he said it had color to everything, not saturated with color, but pale hues of colors and the rocks he said were all different colors, many looked like colored glass he said. I remember vividly him saying there were rocks of every color of the rainbow on the moon scattered around. He said they were not allowed to talk about the color of anything on the moon except to say it was dull grey and colorless.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unionoffreehumans
your post has too many errors to mention ---the main one being that you have incorrectly assumed that the readers of this diatribe are as fooled as you are by fake jouneys to the moon...I am the General Hercules of the union of free humans..I am all knowing...I am the enemy of Juda.....

Can anyone translate this please?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

Actually, it's quite dark. It only looks bright in the night sky because of the contrast between space (as seen by our dark-adapted eyes) and the sunlit lunar surface. If you look at the Moon in the daytime and compare it to sunlit concrete on Earth, you will readily see that the regolith is darker. In fact, the albedo (reflectivity) of the regolith varies between 7% in the dark, basalt maria and 12% in the breccia-laden highlands. You are correct, though, that its reflectivity is fairly constant across the visible spectrum.

Pardon the thread necromancy, but I just found this cool video that demonstrates the difference in albedo between the Earth and Moon. At 00:16 seconds you can see the sunlit side of the Moon superimposed on the Sahara Desert. The lunar regolith is much darker:

Keep in mind that video was taken in the near-infrared. It is not exactly true color but cool nonetheless.
edit on 27-8-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
Keep in mind that video was taken in the near-infrared. It is not exactly true color but cool nonetheless.

There are two videos, one taken in near-infrared, and the other taken in visible light. This one was taken in visible light.

www.nasa.gov...

The two videos show Earth observed at different light wavelengths, which is why differences in details are visible. The first version uses a red-green-blue filter; the second, an infrared-green-blue.
Videos credit: Donald J. Lindler, Sigma Space Corporation/GSFC; EPOCh/DIXI Science Teams
> Watch Video 1
> Watch Video 2

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I just remembered something I've read about the Apollo landings and EVAs. While, as it's been established here, the scorching daytime temperatures on the Moon are simply surface temperatures, the astronauts themselves and their equipment did get hotter under the Sun's light too. In particular, Apollo 15 Hasselblad cameras were getting very hot during one EVA.

Sorry that I can't remember where exactly I've read that, but it was most probably at the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal.

P.S. found another reference to their equipment getting hot: www.hq.nasa.gov...

[Irwin, from the 1971 Technical Debrief - "It was very warm, too. I was surprised how hot the SRC was when we got in."]

[Scott, from the 1971 Technical Debrief - "That's right. It really was."]

[Irwin - "I think the Sun might have been striking the rock box that was out and sitting there, ready to be filled with rocks."]

[Jim's photo AS15-87-11796, which he took at 147:19:33 after they got back from the traverse, shows the rock box on the MESA and in full sunlight.]

[Jones - "Things would heat up pretty quickly?"]

[Irwin - "I wouldn't say that. But I know they cooled off very slowly. As I recall, we took them in and we didn't want to touch them with our bare hands. They were that hot."]

[As mentioned previously, the Sun is currently about 30 degrees above the horizon and the surface temperature is about 50 C or 120 F. At the end of the third EVA at 167 hours, the Sun will have risen another 10 degrees and the surface temperature will be to about 70 C or 160 F.]

edit on 30-8-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Can anyone translate this please?

A person with very little education and possibly undiagnosed mental illness is trying to say that since laws of physics that have been known for centuries don't agree with their delusions they're actually lies told by the Illuminati/NWO/Hulk Hogan and you're a fool to believe these easily demonstrable physical properties.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join