It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Sets World Record With Incredible, Sci-Fi Weapon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Ausome... another weapon to police third world countries with!

The scary thing is, that when TSHTF, they will use these weapons on citizens.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
woopty doopty doo , another awesome weapon that used millions of tax payer dollars to create to "protect" us from the evil villians in the world. Bring our troops home close most of our over sea bases and stop all the wasteful spending on all these weapons of war. We can already eradicate live on earth , how much more do we need?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Hell yes, aim a few of these things at pyongyang!!!!

Oh and in breaking news forum you have to paste the whole title as it appears from the source.... I agree as this is not *sci-fi* but thats what the source has it titled.....

Another believer of the powers that be. Amazing!

The bankers will use us as cannon fodder, you fool.

List of countries without central banks.

North Korea

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hendrix92TheUniverse

Um, what?

Central Bank of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

They most certainly do have a central bank...If we have to use weapons on North Korea it won't be because they don't have a central bank.

--------------------------------------------------------------
On Topic:

The rail gun is a very powerful weapon. 33 megajoules is understating the power in my opinion...They tend to release understated numbers so people don't know what to prepare for.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
Metal Gear?
Metal Gear!

i35.tinypic.com...

Indeed.

Just to refresh people on the purpose of Metal Gear REX (which is from the amazing game Metal Gear Solid)... REX was built by DARPA as a mobile nuclear weapons platform. It has a giant rail gun attached to it that is used to launch nuclear warheads. This has two reasons: it isn't considered an ICBM by international standards and can be legally developed, and its launch is not detected by any current ICBM launch-detection services (like satellites).

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Now you know why the US want to do away with nuclear weapons.

Other countries have nuclear weapons but would take years to develop these new weapons like rail-guns or the Rod from God.
and its unlikely that countries like Iran could build a rod from god system in the next 50 years.

Then i have heard of a program to enhance the Rod from God into a non radioactive hydrogen weapon.
That will mean a very small Rod from God with a high power impact.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It will be on an orbital platform in space or mounted on a US Navy cruiser or destroyer, probably both.

They are refining it, we would like replace cruise missiles with them. (Plus eventually mount them on tanks)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
And then there was an EM pulse detonation

Try and fire now you scumbags...

Cool stuff though.

Hardened circuits.

Besides that, the newer photonic circuits are going to render EMP useless.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Well good.

It seems our nations are allies
reall thogh...

Not at risk from the biggest risk around ?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So if, lets say the UK or Germany developed this then it would be OK right? Yeah, the U.S. is going to mount this on a cruiser, park it in the Persian Gulf and fire it on innocent Iraqi and Afghan citizens. Jealousy much?

I'll toss this into the fray while we're all bickering about this. Since the U.S. is falling apart and about to implode with cataclysmic economic failure, throwing the average citizen into chaos and cannibalism - they somehow develop this:

No offense, but the people who are mocking the U.S. with ignorant posts need to calm down.

edit on 10-12-2010 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
lol, so now we can shoot them from all the way over here

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Haven't they had this for a while?

Yup posted this over a year ago in my Naval Space Command thread

Navys Record-Breaking Railgun Shot
www.abovetopsecret.com...

NAVY Space Command Uncovered
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have a close look at the target

edit on 10-12-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

If you study the new Ford Class Aircraft Carrier being built you will see what they are doing.

They are using an electro magnet propulsion system to launch planes. That same rail will rise up and launch JDAM guided warheads fully automatic to rain death upon a country no air defenses could stop.

Look at how they've doubled the ammunition holds, they don't need powder to launch the projectiles anymore so it's now safe to hold double or triple the warheads. This new ship is going to be so heavy and sit deeper in the water and they must dredge the Harbor in Guam just for this new ship/technology.

China's been watching us though. They now have 2 degaussing facilities to de-energize the hulls of the ships for more speed and to avoid detection. I imagine they may beat us in fielding the electro magnet rail gun.

The Ford Class Carrier will be awhile before it is finished. The Chinese just finished their first carrier and are sailing around with it. Their other two carriers will be done in 6 months. Will they field the rail gun first?

I believe so. We're stuck in debt still trying to sail 11 carrier battle groups which are 20th century technology.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Great, more ways to rain death and destruction on the rest of the planet, whilst your infrastructure crumbles, your people lose their jobs and homes, your politicians spend money like it's going out of fashion (it is), and all paid for by your grandchildren.

Congratulations

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
As i mentioned "Rods from God"

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
This isn't anything new... I remember reading about it in popular mechanics years back while in school.

These things are so massive, and require so much energy that for the time being would be limited to warships or I guess stationary infrastructure.

I'll sit up when I see the first ship equipped with these doing test runs on derelict ships and splitting them in half. =]

EDIT: I would be more concerned by the weaponized satellites that drop kinetic weapons... giant tungsten lawn darts that land with tremendous force from orbit.

z10.invisionfree.com...
edit on 10-12-2010 by wonderboy2402 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Funny how the two guys in the video and the announcer all have British accents.

Originally posted by Clisen33
So if, lets say the UK or Germany developed this then it would be OK right? Yeah, the U.S. is going to mount this on a cruiser, park it in the Persian Gulf and fire it on innocent Iraqi and Afghan citizens. Jealousy much?

I'll toss this into the fray while we're all bickering about this. Since the U.S. is falling apart and about to implode with cataclysmic economic failure, throwing the average citizen into chaos and cannibalism - they somehow develop this:

No offense, but the people who are mocking the U.S. with ignorant posts need to calm down.

edit on 10-12-2010 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When will we get weapons of peace....

kx

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dagar
Great, more ways to rain death and destruction on the rest of the planet, whilst your infrastructure crumbles, your people lose their jobs and homes, your politicians spend money like it's going out of fashion (it is), and all paid for by your grandchildren.

Congratulations

No worries about the grandchildren... They will have all those mega space weapons to save them from having their tents blown to atoms by that invading fleet of space aliens parked just beyond Jupiter

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

It's not OK for any country to use so much of the worlds resources on killing their fellow humans, has nothing to do with nationality.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
When will we get weapons of peace....

kx

In the words of Tony Rebel: "It will be easy to win the war, but it will be harder to win the peace".

Or how about weapons of mass construction?
edit on 10-12-2010 by SkurkNilsen because: just for fun

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join