It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Sets World Record With Incredible, Sci-Fi Weapon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Navy Sets World Record With Incredible, Sci-Fi Weapon

www.foxnews.com

A theoretical dream for decades, the railgun is unlike any other weapon used in warfare. And it's quite real too, as the U.S. Navy has proven in a record-setting test today in Dahlgren, VA.

Rather than relying on a explosion to fire a projectile, the technology uses an electomagnetic current to accelerate a non-explosive bullet at several times the speed of sound. The conductive projectile zips along a set of electrically charged parallel rails and out of the barrel at speeds up to Mach 7.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wow...its finally here. The US is has in just the last few weeks released some incredible weaponry right down to the new sniper rifle that can shoot over half a mile and its bullet explodes with the force of a grenade and can be programmed to detonate at a specified range.

Now the rail gun. This bad-boy has 33 megajoules of energy. As the article states, one megajoule is the equivalent of a 2,000 pound car slamming into something at 100MPH. Now multiply that force by 33.

Combine this with the "Rods from God" using the XB-37 and the weapons platforms are changing quickly.

AND this is just the stuff that is made public.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-12-2010 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ausome... another weapon to police third world countries with!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Fantastic, so glad that the US has a new weapon to kill poor people with so it can eat more of the worlds resources....

Yay!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Why can't the title of this thread just say "rail gun"? It is not sci-fi if it is reality, now is it?

And rail gun technology itself isn't brand spanking new, and neither are explosive rounds that can be programmed to explode at set distances. I guess this must be new to outsiders...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Can you imagine if they could pump these things out to soldiers (I didn't look at the article so don't know if these are handheld things or what?) Now imagine the weaponry that the public does not know about.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11:11
Can you imagine if they could pump these things out to soldiers (I didn't look at the article so don't know if these are handheld things or what?) Now imagine the weaponry that the public does not know about.

Currently they are highly expensive and require a lot of space and energy to operate. This is why the US is mainly testing them on ships.

There's just no way that it can be afforded to deploy rail guns on a squad level in modern times.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Ausome... another weapon to police third world countries with!

lol. I dont know about that.

Kind of hard to hit a biking suicide bomber with a weapon that could take down an aircraft carrier from miles away in no time flat.

...Actually probably really easy to hit a terrorist, as well as flatten several city blocks

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It seems that we don't need these type of weapons or anything related to it. if people were using there hearts instead of their intelligence they wouldn't even come up with these type of human, animal and nature destroyers.

people in the army, quit and stop using these weapons of mas destruction, which are in our western world and not in the middle east like our governments make us believe.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ok folks, I think it's time to decide what country to test this on.

Which one should we pick? Iraq, Afganistan, or perhaps we can use it to shock and awe Iran? Or maybe even North Korea.... hmmm decisions.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Haven't they had this for a while?

From 2006

From 2008

Doesn't look that portable

edit on 12/10/2010 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Great! More death they can POINT AT US!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This isn't anything new... I remember reading about it in popular mechanics years back while in school.

These things are so massive, and require so much energy that for the time being would be limited to warships or I guess stationary infrastructure.

I'll sit up when I see the first ship equipped with these doing test runs on derelict ships and splitting them in half. =]

EDIT: I would be more concerned by the weaponized satellites that drop kinetic weapons... giant tungsten lawn darts that land with tremendous force from orbit.

z10.invisionfree.com...
edit on 10-12-2010 by wonderboy2402 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Popular Mechanics loves weapons of death, and FoxNews,and HATES free thinkers.

"The A173 DECAPITATION RAPING MACHINE can decapitate 10,000 victims a second while melting there insides with gamma radiation. This is a truly an awsome technology. Popular Mechanics rates it 10/10 and gives it our gold award.

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
This isn't anything new... I remember reading about it in popular mechanics years back while in school.

These things are so massive, and require so much energy that for the time being would be limited to warships or I guess stationary infrastructure.

I'll sit up when I see the first ship equipped with these doing test runs on derelict ships and splitting them in half. =]

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Metal Gear?
Metal Gear!

i35.tinypic.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Seems a bit extreme for one bullet/projectile.

Can`t imagine a soldier walking around with one either,just yet.

Link to vid video.foxnews.com...

Edit
Oh! whatukno already posted the link

edit on 10-12-2010 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

have you not seen the transformers movie where they have one on a ship to take out megatrons daddy

link   
And then there was an EM pulse detonation

Try and fire now you scumbags...

Cool stuff though.

link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

That's cuz our system of currency sucks. To be not able to afford something shouldn't be a possibility.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hell yes, aim a few of these things at pyongyang!!!!

Oh and in breaking news forum you have to paste the whole title as it appears from the source.... I agree as this is not *sci-fi* but thats what the source has it titled.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join