It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth Smart kidnapper guilty -- verdict came down today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
News Source

A federal court jury on Friday found Brian David Mitchell guilty in the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Smart.

The 12-member jury reached their verdict at 10:30 a.m. following five hours of deliberations that began Thursday evening.

Mitchell was convicted of interstate kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor to engage in sexual activity for holding Smart captive for nine months, including near-daily rapes and a trip to California and back. He faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced on May 25, which allows time for a presentencing report to be completed.

Mitchell was present in the courtroom while the verdict was read, singing the LDS hymn "He Died. The Great Redeemer Died."

Defense attorneys had argued Mitchell was insane at the time he kidnapped a then-14-year-old Smart from her bed at knifepoint to make her a plural wife. A not guilty by reason of insanity verdict would have meant Mitchell, a self-described prophet preparing to battle the anti-Christ, would have gone to a mental health facility rather than prison.

Score one for the good guys today. This case has been on the minds of many of us across the country and now there is finally some closure on the matter. What Ms Smart endured will never disappear, and the fact that her abducter is now going to jail will not change the past. But it is an example of justice at work. Obviously the 'Great Redeemer' that Mitchell was singing about today in court saw fit to redeem for Ms Smart.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Finally.This poor girl has had to suffer for far too long. I'm really not big on the death penalty but in his case I would love to make an exception but only after castration and a visit from a big ole guy with a huge you know what makes him his b*@$&. Justice has been served but that girl will never be the same.Although she is living her life the way she needs to. Putting her past behind and becoming a missionary. Good for you Elizabeth. He took your innocence , but you didn't let him take your spirit.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
edit on 10-12-2010 by stinavamp because: posted twice

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Let me preface this by stating that I have no official stance on the FLDS belief in plural marriage. Live and let live I say, and I am in no way going to stand in the way of someone's religious beliefs.

With that being said, more people should see this case for what it is. With television shows such as Big Love and the recent miniseries Sister Wives, both portraying plural marriage in a somewhat glorified light, this story shows the ugly underbelly of the tradition. A teenage girl was kidnapped out of the safety of her bedroom at knifepoint, endured rapes nearly everyday, and all in the name of plural marriage. This case is indeed an extreme example, but it is important to see both sides of the coin, I mean that is what we try to do everyday here on ATS.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Let me preface this by stating that I have no official stance on the FLDS belief in plural marriage. Live and let live I say, and I am in no way going to stand in the way of someone's religious beliefs.

With that being said, more people should see this case for what it is. With television shows such as Big Love and the recent miniseries Sister Wives, both portraying plural marriage in a somewhat glorified light, this story shows the ugly underbelly of the tradition. A teenage girl was kidnapped out of the safety of her bedroom at knifepoint, endured rapes nearly everyday, and all in the name of plural marriage. This case is indeed an extreme example, but it is important to see both sides of the coin, I mean that is what we try to do everyday here on ATS.

This case has as much to do with plural marriage as it does with Chicken Pox. A lame, retarded attempt at justification for the rape and torture of an innocent young girl by a creep. Polygamy is not something I am interested in for myself, but if both parties consent to such a situation, then by all means...pursuit of happiness and all that. But when a young girl is forced into such a situation, kept from her family and tortured for nine months, the idea of marriage does not apply at all - It becomes a serious felony

If the argument is that this creep took this practice as "its OK to marry them even if they don't wanna", then the problem lies with him, not the institution.

I would imagine very few polygamists would agree that consent is not required on the part of the bride(s).

Those who do should be locked up.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
What an ordeal she went thru,strong girl and I hope she's able to move on and have a happy life. I can't imagine the pain her and her family endured. I have two daughters 14 and 16, I know I would have snapped on this guy. No doubt in my mind that he will recieve the "special" attention that he deserves from his new roomates. I doubt this scumbag last to long.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with the poly lifestyle if thats your choice, but..............
This guy deserves nothing less then a painful death and it disgusts me to see people fighting for the rights of people like him. Theres no reason to consider them as human once they have been proven guilty, and these loop holes in the law that allow these guys to sit in prison till death comes knocking, has been the biggest mistake to allow to happen.
This guy wouldnt have been around till 2010 if it were my child, Id be more then willing to do the taime to take care of that issue personally.
edit on 12/10/2010 by Patrioitinsheepclothing because: Had to add to my comment

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteele
I would imagine very few polygamists would agree that consent is not required on the part of the bride(s).

Could not have said it better myself.
Thank you.
edit on 10-12-2010 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Why'd it take 8 years? .. Why did we waste hundreds of thousands of dollars so far caging this idiot, feeding it, and then finally deciding 8 years later that yup, he did it alright ..

So much time, money and energy would have been save if we just hung him the day we caught him..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Elizabeth Smart has been through hell and back over this she is such a strong person in my eyes, I wish her nothing but the best in life and hope that she can now put all this behind her and get on with making a life for herself ,Brian David Mitchell is a monster i hope he rots in jail ...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And thus is the legal system. Far from perfect, but should we not have done things this way, there would be others screaming in the streets about innocent until proven guilty. I agree that the 'proving' process can be very cumbersome.

Dont we see threads everyday about how the govt of differing states/nations are going too far and that one's innocence needs to be maintained?

I am not saying that I disagree with you at all, in fact my gut reaction agees with you wholeheartedly (if a gut has a heart). I'm simply saying that it is indeed a slippery slope when the legal system decides to not take due process into account.

At the end of the day though, Ms Smart's abductor is guilty and will face sentencing. 8 days, 8 months or 8 years later, today is the day she has been waiting for.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

When your caught with the girl who'd been kidnapped and she tells you what he did to her .. I seriously don't think it takes 8years to prosecute.. it should have been taken care of..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

When your caught with the girl who'd been kidnapped and she tells you what he did to her .. I seriously don't think it takes 8years to prosecute.. it should have been taken care of..

And now my gut is overriding my brain....
you are right should have been taken care of...
see what you did to me!

You are right 8 years was way too long.
The part of this that is even worse, we are probably not long from a writ of habeus corpus, and an appeal to the state supreme court, and then the fed district court, and then the supreme court.....this story will see may more headlines before its over.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
"And thus is the legal system."
And it will continue for him, he's going wish he was dead. Even some of the most hardened criminals still have morals. Some time in general population with some guys that have kids, well...........he will eventualy be taken care of. This POS is what bottom feeders feed on.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

It would not surprise me to hear of an untimely demise for him.
You are right about this.
It took 8 years for the system to dispense justice, how long will it take gen pop to do the same?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

If the argument is that this creep took this practice as "its OK to marry them even if they don't wanna", then the problem lies with him, not the institution.

That's the biggest problem -- the fundamentalist LDS church not only condones marrying underage girls (nowhere old enough to be called women), they encourage[\i]. We can trace all the way back to Joseph Smith, who married at least a half-dozen girls who were 12, 13 and 14, and Brigham Young, who kept some 50+ wives himself, 6-7 of whom were under 18 at the time they were sealed to him and at least one who was only 12/13 at the time she was sealed.

It's even more rampant today, especially on compounds where there just aren't enough "of age" women for the men to take on as wives (perhaps why religious zealots like this asshole are kidnapping young brides in the first place). There's plenty of documented cases, as recent as this summer, where tweens were forced into marriage by compound leaders under penalty of being excommunicated from the community -- where there entire extended family lives -- or worse, and being raped or forced into sexual acts to "consummate" the marriage if they are too afraid to leave. These girls are cut off entirely from the real world, they have no idea help exists out there, let alone how to summon for it, and even if they did, they believe they're going to the deepest depths of hell for disobeying their elders. And that only encourages people like this guy, who truly believe they are justified in what they are doing because it's their God-given duty to marry as many wives as possible.

I wholeheartedly support polyamory, but religious fundamentalism and polygamy does not mix well at all - there's a reason why the LDS church officially banned polygamy in practice in the 1830s. If the government really wants to stop the practice of marrying off young girls against their will, maybe they should do something about before another Elizabeth Smart is ripped from her family for the sake of The Principle.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Psh, I give it 8 seconds -- the jailhouse community is well-known for administering justice fairly and swiftly, especially when it involves minor children.

Amazing how convicts are better than the federal government at policing the justice system..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouDoSeeMe

That's the biggest problem -- the fundamentalist LDS church not only condones marrying underage girls (nowhere old enough to be called women), they encourage[\i]. We can trace all the way back to Joseph Smith, who married at least a half-dozen girls who were 12, 13 and 14, and Brigham Young, who kept some 50+ wives himself, 6-7 of whom were under 18 at the time they were sealed to him and at least one who was only 12/13 at the time she was sealed.

It's even more rampant today, especially on compounds where there just aren't enough "of age" women for the men to take on as wives (perhaps why religious zealots like this asshole are kidnapping young brides in the first place). There's plenty of documented cases, as recent as this summer, where tweens were forced into marriage by compound leaders under penalty of being excommunicated from the community -- where there entire extended family lives -- or worse, and being raped or forced into sexual acts to "consummate" the marriage if they are too afraid to leave. These girls are cut off entirely from the real world, they have no idea help exists out there, let alone how to summon for it, and even if they did, they believe they're going to the deepest depths of hell for disobeying their elders. And that only encourages people like this guy, who truly believe they are justified in what they are doing because it's their God-given duty to marry as many wives as possible.

I wholeheartedly support polyamory, but religious fundamentalism and polygamy does not mix well at all - there's a reason why the LDS church officially banned polygamy in practice in the 1830s. If the government really wants to stop the practice of marrying off young girls against their will, maybe they should do something about before another Elizabeth Smart is ripped from her family for the sake of The Principle.

You support polyamory??? I aint down with that sh!t.

I'll admit it... I'm a stingy bitch. Tightfisted girl. Keep ya damn hands off kinda person. What's mine is mine, know what I mean? I don't want to have to be smackin bitches up in here.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

Of course I support polygamy -- live and let live, love and let love. I'm not about to tell people how they can and can't form relationships -- if I did, that makes me no better than Big Brother, controlling how people can marry and who gets what rights.

I don't practice polygamy, and I'll tell you right now, if youdidntseeme ever tried to pick up an extra wife under the or started seeing other girls on the side pretense of polygamy, he'd have to find himself a new "first wife," because I don't play nice and I DEFINITELY don't share (and he knows that very well
)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I guess when I say I don't support it... I mean to say *I* don't actually "support" it.

...but yeah, who cares what other people do... and if I found out someone I was into was into THAT, I'd just walk away like "hey, whateveh"

...but as for me... another gal in my house?...or even one that I know about... oh now that would be a sight to say the least! Not a violent one but for the remainder of time the whole "relationship" lasted... which might be about thirty seconds, oh it would indeed be interesting.
edit on 10-12-2010 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join