It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former CIA intelligence analyst: 'The Fourth Estate is dead'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Former CIA intelligence analyst: 'The Fourth Estate is dead'

www.rawstory.com

Traditional lines of communication between the people and the press have fallen into such disrepair in America that a whole new approach is necessary to challenge the military-industrial-governmental complex, according to a former CIA analyst sympathetic to WikiLeaks.

"The Fourth Estate is dead," Ray McGovern, of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity, told Raw Story in an exclusive interview. "The Fourth Estate in his country has been captured by government and corporations, the military-industrial complex, the intelligence apparatus. Captive! So, there is no Fourth Estate."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Umm, ya think?

It HAS been dead, for decades now!

The media is nothing more than a mouthpiece and brainwashing weapon, used by corpo-elitist rulers against the masses.

The ONLY caveat has been small, independent investigative reporters, and ironically enough, conspiracy theorists, who have dared to question the establishment, and not swallow what the bought and paid for media establishment have been spewing out, ad-nauseum.

This is, however, a VERY relevent interview and topic in the times we find ourselves in, as there is an absolute BATTLE taking place between the select few controlling the flow of information, and the masses.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Yup... this is clearly in the category of "Duh!"

The press' power started waning about 100 years ago when effective control was consolidated by the financial cartel. As they moved their power-base into energy, food, and military control, via monetary policy, the press became both increasingly mute and effectively moot!

How do we establish a new vehicle to disseminate the truth?

Why the Internet of course!.... problem is... they have created commercial code to cripple activism via criminalization....

Free speech..... just words to them. We are free to acquiesce, we are free to submit, we are free remain silent and watch professional "sports" and "reality" productions. Some people who resist materialistic paradigms and marketing-psychology ended up being "hated" by us (because "they hate our freedoms", so they say) ..... we mostly kill them now...

The "press" was replaced with, and overrun by, "entertainment" and "consumerism." As such things revolve around social vainglory and selfish materialism, we should have expected the outcome, no?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Agree with Maxmars. Fourth Estate has been history for a while. An elite few over a century ago purchased every major newspaper, and by the time WWI began, there was little info going out that was independent of their "permission".

Radio, film, TV...Everything followed suit, tight control over any and all methods of info dissemination. Everywhere, people were conditioned to read papers that had stories reprinted from the Big Boys. People thought nothing of the fact that there were only three "networks". The AP? God's Truth!

And then the internet came along, and a few heads popped up for a while, but soon things were back under control. People didn't read papers anymore, they checked into AOL, and then MSM. Surely, if it really was "news", they would see it there, right?

And then Google! More tight control over info.

Even here on ATS, we must all be quite careful of letting our guards down, letting out an unapproved word or two. Just for manners and decorum? Hardly! Google will sensor the entire site if they allow too much "freedom"...Oh yes, and exactly how Google sensors is top secret! Too "politically incorrect"? Could be one reason why Google buried your blog!

OK, perhaps this is a slight exaggeration, and I certainly don't feel we need to use profanity to communicate, but there are a lot of people who aren't that aware of these things. I learn things all the time, but it seems like the more I learn, the more I must "question".

Even Wikileaks...I question whether or not they are "real", or if it's just another PsyOps side show to make us feel like there's hope...

JR

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Agree with you both.

The net is the last bastion of freedom in the war upon information and truth.

All other modalities have been entirely infiltrated and compromised.

And in fact, pushing the issue further, I feel that TV, radio, and newspapers were literally CREATED to steer and guide the masses thinking. Here and there, certain folks decided to break the mold, and usually they have been dealt with by those media outlets in short order.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I posted in the other thread about this subject a minute ago.

Basically I said the 4th estate has been dead since 1812 or prior.

I used the example of the way the Press totally supported the Gov'ts desire for war against Spain when the Maine exploded in Cuba. Evidence shows that it was an accident, a discharge in the armory or something like that.

The Govt knew the truth but choose to blame Spain, and then quickly use the press to rile the population up into a frenzy and create a global war so they could capture the Spanish colonial possessions.

The press has not been free in hundreds of years. We have been scammed big time folks.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Maybe what he is doing is warning the elites that the propaganda is failing. People are seeing through it more and more.
I mean, who is this guy? He ain't one of us.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

That's possible, but I am sure the Elites are well aware it is failing, hence why they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us in recent times, with nonsense like the FBI grooming terrorist suspects, and the TSA's coming fear mongering messages being broadcast in grocery stores, hotels and malls.

They are getting DESPERATE to slow down an ever-awakening, and increasingly agitated populace.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Basically I said the 4th estate has been dead since 1812 or prior.

Any other info on this rather "early" date by chance? I'm not aware of anything earth-shattering at that time, other than the wars being fought in the US, and Europe (Napoleon). Certainly Hearst's backing of the Spanish American War in Cuba was well-known, but that was considerably later.

As far as I know, the big consolidation of newspapers didn't take place until the 1890's, with Hearst leading the charge perhaps, but guys like Adolph Ochs (NY Times) hot on his heels. Later, movies, you'd get the Edison Trust, obvious control there, but 1812 seems quite a stretch.

JR

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I feel that TV, radio, and newspapers were literally CREATED to steer and guide the masses thinking.

Now that's a pretty radical statement!

Your Matrix avatar probably underscores how you feel, but I'd certainly like to hear any other info you might have on this.

JR

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

J.P. Morgan bought control of the media according to the Congressional Record of 1917. He had 12 top newspaper men analyze what paper he should buyout to " properly supervise and edit information" On their advice he purchased control of 25 of the greatest papers.

[Congressman Oscar Callaway statements in the Congressional Record (vol. 54, February 9, 1917, p. 2947)]

More recently JP Morgan Chase is again becoming a player in the media game. JP Morgan Chase is the recently combined Rockefeller & J.P. Morgan banking dynasties.

If U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Carey today approves Tribune Co.'s reorganization plan, enabling it to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, New York-based banking giant JP Morgan Chase will become a significant media player, owning more television stations than any major network and becoming America's second largest newspaper publisher....

JP Morgan Chase already owns a majority stake in Irvine, Calif.-based Freedom Communications, publisher of The Orange County (Calif.) Register, 25 other daily newspapers and operator of eight television stations.

And last year, JP Morgan Chase took over Yardley, Pa.-based Journal Register Co., publisher of 19 daily newspapers.....

If it takes control of Tribune today, JP Morgan will now oversee 54 U.S. daily newspapers, the largest being the Los Angeles Times, making it the country's second largest daily newspaper publisher after Gannett. JP Morgan will also own 31 television stations, surpassing the number of TV stations owned by CBS and News Corp. www.newsandtech.com...

I happen to know the Gannetts personally. The words honesty and integrity do not apply in any of my dealings with that family.

So who else controls the propaganda outlets that bombard us and our children?

Mass Media Influence on Society

...We have put our trust on the media as an authority to give us news, entertainment and education. However, the influence of mass media on our kids, teenagers and society is so big that we should know how it really works....

..... in fact its known that a child is exposed to about 40,000 ads a year.

But who owns the media, which are the companies or people that shape our values, beliefs and decisions? The media is basically dominated by five major companies they are:

* Time Warner
* VIACOM
* Vivendi Universal
* Walt Disney
* News Corp

Those 5 companies own 95% of all the media that we get every day. They own the major entertainment theme parks, entertainment movie studios, television and radio broadcast networks and programing, video news and sports entertainment....

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

...Here and there, certain folks decided to break the mold, and usually they have been dealt with by those media outlets in short order.

Boy do you have that correct. Derry Brownfield former partner in Learfield Communications did market reports in the farm belt and "The Common Sense Coalition" He made the mistake of Lambasting Monsanto and even read from a Vanity Fair article titled “Monsanto’s Harvest of Fear”

Monsanto had him kicked off the air in short order. click

Derry was not the only one. It is scuttlebutt in farmer "activist?" circles that three other reporters in Florida were also fired for speaking out. click

My Father-in-law owned a small town newspaper. He said yes there is freedom of the press. "The guy who OWNS the press is free to print what ever he likes." He also said the ONLY thing you can trust in print are the sports scores.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

What a fantstic post. Would star you a hundred times if I could, haha.

Thank you for digging that up. This is information that EVERYONE should be made aware of.

Same old elitist family line names seem to keep popping up when it boils down to societal control.

Sigh.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thank you for digging that up.

I learned very early that the News Media lies for political purposes. My first experience was in college.

Mom called a little after 6:00 PM just as I got in from classes. She lived half way a cross the country and had just seen on national TV - RIOTS
at my school. (This was just after Kent State)

Just one little problem. There were NO Riots. None. I was on the main campus from 7:00 AM till 5:00 PM because I was taking a heavy course load including science labs (2 hrs) and Art classes (2 hrs) It also meant I crisscrossed the Square all day long. If there had been a riot I would have tripped over it.

I quit believing the news that very day.

One of these years I will post another experience I had with the News Media since I have finally unraveled most of the actual story. A new entry in a business was very successful and REALLY ticked-off a big player. It took a few years but the big player just about bankrupted the new entry taking out at least three manufacturing plants in my state alone. This story plays out across the USA and into other countries.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Ya, I agree. It's been dead for a while now. It died when the msm began reporting off the press releases circulated by government agencies.

But then again, outlets like this and blogs and more ... the 4th estate can live again!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Truth is, we don't need the "fourth estate". Why the h*ll do we need our wealthy cousins telling us what our reality is. That is what the internet is for...

Seriously, screw them. Let's raise our kids to screw them.

new topics

top topics

join