It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange lawyer says US spying indictment imminent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Assange lawyer says US spying indictment imminent

www.rawstory.com

Lawyers for the founder of WikiLeaks, the secrets website publishing more than 250,000 US diplomatic cables, told ABC News that the US could be preparing a spying indictment against their client.

"Our position of course is that we don't believe it applies to Mr. Assange and that in any event he's entitled to First Amendment protection as publisher of Wikileaks and any prosecution under the espionage act would in my view be unconstitutional and puts at risk all media organizations in the US," attorney Jennifer Robinson said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I just love how the gov officials keep spouting, "this is putting americans at risk"...

The only ones being put at any risk are you criminals whom are being outed and exposed for the ever-criminalistic, pathological liars you are.

And the funny part of this is, most of these "leaders" bellowing this rubbish are so TREASONOUS in their own activities, that very few of them should even BE considered American!

This is all about covering up their crimes ( a little late for that now! ) and covering their own back sides, pure plain and simple.

Can't have the plebians having access to unlimited truth of all our criminality now, can we?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It's really extraordinary that the schmucks in the US government have no grasp of psychology 101. For the more they go after this man, the more resistance they generate to obfuscate the truth, the more the general public will become aware of it and demand it. In this case, as it relates to the truth coming out, the immortal words and wisdom of Petter Griffin come to mind:

"... like sex with Kobe Bryant...you can kick and scream all you want but its going to happen."

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ron Paul defends him the absolute best:

They can charge him, but for what? And if he gets charged you better believe ABC/CNN/FOX/etc will HAVE to get charged too. JULIAN didn't steal information.. and neither did ABC/CNN/FOX.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I wonder if the password will be released if he is convicted of spying.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Just to throw some comments on the fire...from the British Justice Secretary.

Justice Secretary Ken Clarke told Britain's Channel 4 News he didn't know much about WikiLeaks and hadn't had any contact with U.S. officials about it. While he condemned the WikiLeaks disclosures, he also struck a sympathetic note.

"I disagree with what WikiLeaks has done," Clarke said, citing the damage it had dealt to international diplomacy. But he added: "some of the things it's revealed — let's be fair — are of genuine public interest."

"On balance it's done a great deal of harm, but that's not a criminal offense," Clarke said.

I am looking for the UKs Channel4 link however he has also been quoted as above in this piece

Going to hard to get a deportation order if that is the official position of the UK Gov

edit on 10/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

So that begs the question: Would the majority of folk want to see Assange convicted if that was the only way the password to the insurance file would be released?

Not that I'm buying that there is much o' anything in that file.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

In this case, as it relates to the truth coming out, the immortal words and wisdom of Petter Griffin come to mind:

"... like sex with Kobe Bryant...you can kick and scream all you want but its going to happen."

LMAO!!!!

Well, also in this case, what I believe we are beginning to see is that the public is SO fed up with being stomped on endlessly by those in power, and have become SO distrustful (and very rightfully so) of them, that their old psy-ops tactic of "if we repeat the same lie over and over enough, eventually it will be accepted as truth" is no longer working.

The masses have been asleep at the wheel for a long time, but they are beginning to awaken and wise up. They have had no other option. These goons have pushed us all WAY too far...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

with the legal counsel Assange has,
u would be looking at 4-5 yrs before
a conviction would be rendered.
If even convicted at all.

I seriously doubt we ever get the p/w
but I'd be willing to bet there are some
puters around the world working on
that p/w as I type.

the insurance file is just a sub plot
of the main play. It keeps u intrigued
with no real substance.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's all a bit ironic considering that the cables revealed that the US was spying on the EU. His arrest has been a complete farce as far as i'm concerned
edit on 10-12-2010 by snoochieboochies because: added word

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Is an australian covered under american first amendment clause?

From what I understand, the constitution applies only to people in the US...hense why we got people at gitmo(cuba) verses the states.

If Julian is taken into US custody for whatever reason, I would think Cuba would end up being his resting place

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

DD

u need to read this article

Reports have come in today, tying Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange, directly to Israeli intelligence and “Israel friendly” media outlets. We are told Assange, while at a Geneva meeting, agreed to allow Israel to select or censor all Wikileak output.

www.veteranstoday.com...

I am assuming those Israel friendly media outlets have something to do
with "Media Matters" a group funded by Soros.

mediamatters.org...

more from the first link above

“Assange met with Israeli officials in Geneva earlier this year and struck the secret deal. The Israel government, it seems, had somehow found out or expected that the documents to be leaked contained a large number of documents about the Israeli attacks on Lebanon and Gaza in 2006 and 2008-9 respectively. These documents, which are said to have originated mainly from the Israeli embassies in Tel Aviv and Beirut, where removed and possibly destroyed by Assange, who is the only person who knows the password that can open these documents, the sources added.”

Hundreds of cables were generated by this issue and thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, tied to 9/11. All magically disappeared at the hands of Julian Assange whose public statements on 9/11 now make him suspect.

the source of this info seems to be coming from the
wikileaks defectors who claimed Assange isn't
transparent.

According to an Arabic investigative journalism website [2], Assange had received money from semi-official Israeli sources and promised them, in a “secret, video-recorded agreement,” not to publish any document that may harm Israeli security or diplomatic interests.

The sources of the Al-Haqiqa report are said to be former WikiLeaks volunteers who have left the organisation in the last few months over Assange's “autocratic leadership” and “lack of transparency.”

Hundreds of cables were generated by this issue and thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, tied to 9/11. All magically disappeared at the hands of Julian Assange whose public statements on 9/11 now make him suspect.

www.indybay.org...

So basically, staffers who left wikileaks are saying that
Assange destroyed all 9/11 documents and Israel paid
him to do it.

so yea, if you collect all the data from the info in this post.
They do have a case for spying, blackmail, extortion,
conspiracy and a host of other charges.

However, if this is a joint CIA/NSA/Mossad venture
then Assange will never be convicted else secrets
of the agency will be made public which they will
not allow. Therefore Assange walks. And we will
be absolutely no closer to the truth of 9/11.

edit on 12/10/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoochieboochies
It's all a bit ironic considering that the cables revealed that the US was spying on the EU. His arrest has been a complete farce as far as i'm concerned
edit on 10-12-2010 by snoochieboochies because: added word

The charges are a farce as far as what evidence there is thats been presented to the public...not saying it ultimately is, but so far, it seems a bunch of hype.
I read also the maximum penelty of his specific crime, if found guilty, is 750$ for the condom break thing...but the details are soo damn murky that its rediculous.

This is a exceptionally transparent witch hunt...amazingly stupid...and as mentioned before, the more focus they put on him, the more people side with him.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Primarily, the US is in a hurry to concretize some sort of case because they know exactly what Wikileaks has in its 'virtual' possession. They incorrectly believe that Assange is the alpha and omega of Wikileaks... bravo for Assange and the board... obviously the pinheaded establishment socialites have fully embraced the notion.

As I stated while conversing with a very astute and erudite friend of mine, attempting to control humans is like shoveling fleas across a room, (or maybe like herding cats). Communications are not something that can be controlled unless the world becomes deaf and blind. Assange may be charged, and - assuming his sovereign state of residence is towing the inevitable line - he will end up facing some form of legal scrutiny over the matter.

But this case lacks something that cannot be manufactured for a jury.... (although its more likely to be secretly adjudicated by some 'sealed' legal medium,) that something is the old "if not for" principle of guilt. Assange is only guilty of letting them know it was the organization he chairs that propagated the material to the press. (Public release was a function of the operational policy of the organization - not a conscious decision.) The rest is histrionics.

Before the information became public, the press already had it. That they consulted with and submitted to the will of the establishment regarding release is another matter entirely. The government has failed to include the press as a target of its defiant righteous outrage.... and I find that flatly revealing, and somewhat enlightening about what has been released by them thus far.

I am not among those who see Mr. Assange as a heroic figurehead of transparency and justice. Yet, I am aware that the nature of human interaction makes it possible this could end up leading to an solid opportunity to re-evaluate (by means of public dialog) those who have routinely used our national identity as camouflage to further their own agendas, and those of their associates. I have heard few rebuttals of that reality, so I am inclined to think most agree,

Ultimately, we as people must know that the louder the complaints from the aggrieved government, the more likely that they are strategically manipulating the legal environment and public opinion to further their hold on the lack of accountability to which they are accustomed (and some think entitled.)

Many have long wondered precisely what was it about America that made large portions of the world hold her in low esteem and a significant degree of suspicion.... Here is your answer. The cables reveal exactly how the 'group-think' in the world of politically-appointed social-club works.

The real hypocrisy I see is that of those in other countries who naively think that the rest of the world isn't doing EXACTLY the same thing, behaving exactly the same way, and hiding it from their people with equal disregard for the public interest.

America appears fast-moving toward a state which is in practice very close to the exact opposite of what I was taught as a young boy growing up. Presumption of guilt, no right of privacy, no peace to keep, only laws to enforce, wealth-based exclusivity of access to 'commonly-owned' resources, one law for some, another for others... and none for a few, propaganda-driven public media, political gamesmanship over stewardship of the nation, blazing self-interest masquerading as 'service'.. and arrogant elitism exalted over devotion to public service.

Spend two or three days watching the old black and white Hollywood productions depicting American ideals and principles, and look around you. We were distracted while the moguls and robber-barons took control.

It makes me proud that America was the most intensely sought prize.... it affirms that our principles and ideals were a barrier to their attempts at entrenching a transnational economic royalty across all nations. Now hope of resistance is all but lost; as the Wikileaks phenomenon will be used as a reason to erase the blossoming personal sovereignty on the Internet.... not that we were all that close to it in the first place... after all the regulatory bodies are all commercial opportunists and interesting in what they can get out of it, and not necessarily what they can give to it.

Oh but I blather on ..... forgive me.

Assange is a spy the same way Woodward and Bernstein were 'spies'.... they could have been said to be 'endangering' the nation by similar logic... but they weren't... why is that?

edit on 10-12-2010 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yes. If you see some of my previous posts, I actually am on the fence about the entire PURPOSE of these leaks, as well as who is REALLY behind them. I suspect there may be an ulterior motive being played out.

However, I have this strange feeling that REGARDLESS of what the motivations may or may not be, that this whole ordeal has sort of blown up in the faces of those who are waging psy-war against the masses, because I believe it has sparked a deeper awareness of an underlying issue-the select 'few' at the top dictating and victimizing the many, for their own vested interests.

And I think, although the purpose or goal behind the release of these documents may have been for some agenda very much different, that they have actually helped to awaken the sleeping giant to this, perhaps inadvertantly.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I have to agree with your sentiments, for me I can not help but feel another agenda is being played out..

When ignoring media other than the UKs, it seems the UK media are cheer leading this whole event (both Anon and Assange) So I can not help but question why he was in the UK in the first place given the UKs global moniker as Americas poodle/lapdog.. wouldn't the UK be one of the last places to hide!

While the media is cheerleading some underling comments caught my eye... Gates was quoted to have "smirked" when he heard the news of Assages arrest.. the BBC playing the card that Anon are a "data army" and the UKs justice secretary saying the Wikileaks had not done anything "criminal" all leaning towards supporting Assange/Anon, which contrasts with the US position.

Kinda hard to reason why they are taking that position since if the US was Britain's friends and ally, this should be embarrassing for them, and yet.... it is the "and yet" that probably bothers me the most..

edit on 10/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
But this case lacks something that cannot be manufactured for a jury.... (although its more likely to be secretly adjudicated by some 'sealed' legal medium,) that something is the old "if not for" principle of guilt.

I think you mean "sine qua non" which is more commonly referred to as the "but for" test. But for the actions, the harm would not have been caused. An interesting point to raise, but it's application depends entirely on what charges are brought and what they need to show.
edit on 10-12-2010 by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

You are solidly correct, and the truth is, the charges will be the real challenge.... "espionage" is not the way to go in my opinion... but then, I am not a lawyer.

Let's see how they craft this case. And whether the public will even be privy to the details....

Of course they could just create a law and apply the charge to him retroactively... they've been known to do that on occasion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join