It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards funeral to be picketed by controversial church (westboro baptist)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Who grants permits to these wack jobs?

I get "free speech" but this crosses into the realm of harassment or stalking.

Is a city ordinance restricting the picketing of funerals for private citizens, so unreasonable?

The SCOTUS will issue a ruling on whether it's protected speech next June.

edit on 10/12/2010 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have watched some vids and read about these people and in all honesty I cant see why people have a problem with them. I am not a religious person but I respect people and beleive it is right that we should all have the right to speak freely and air our views. These people follow the bible to the letter, so they really take seriously the ten commandments etc.., thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal etc.. I mean imagine if everyone refused to kill another human being, how could we have wars. You couldnt stage a false flag attack because no one would take part in it. I realise its not going to be pleasant if they are near somones family members funeral so maybe the government should set laws too keep them at a greater distance away than is currently stated. Their reasoning is they dont like soldiers as soldiers kill people, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Maybe westboro will picket just the right funeral
and get shut down for good!
I am a christian and true christians don't act like that.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If you start pasing laws about this even though I totally agree these people give religion a bad name and no way support what they do, it's that whats the next thing someone is going to pass a law about in free speech...

These people can be sued in some cases civily.. You can get the right case and sue the pants off these idiots, but taking away their right to free protest and speech CAN NOT be allowed...

No matter how dumb these people seem they are attention seekers, REAL LIFE TROLLS...

They will go down with their own ship...

Let God do the judging he can do alot better then someone even taking them out...

If they don't turn from their own ways they will see who the real hellmongers are.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ady37

Where in the Bible does it say that God hates people? Where in the Bible does it say NOT to do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Where in the Bible does it say NOT to love your neighbor as yourself?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ady37

No they protest soldiers because they believe that "God hates America." They protest soldiers for publicity. It has nothing to do with soldiers and war. If it did they wouldn't show up wearing shirts that say "God Hates Fags."

They are opportunist of the worst kind.

ETA:

If they were so worried about her soul why didn't they try to reach out to her before death? Why didn't they send some one to act as a chaplain, and attempt to restore her faith? Why didn't they pray for her soul, and a softening of her heart?

If these people gave a rats #$$ about people's souls they wouldn't approach it in this manner. Why come out and condem a person in death? Why not engage them while they are alive. What do you hope to accomplish through tactics like this? All they are doing is seeking publicity.

I honestly believe this is a desperate attempt by an old, and demented, man to establish a legacy. He feels mortality creeping up and he is scared that his life has been in vain. He wants to live forever and is seeking to keep his name alive.
edit on 10-12-2010 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

I agree it's dicey.

But, at the very least, they should not be allowed to play it both ways.

By picketing the funerals of dead soldiers, defaming them and declaring their deaths as a moral judgment on the US, it's military and it's policies, WBC are - in a fashion - engaging in political speech which acts to undermine the government which is prohibited by IRS rules in order for a church to maintain a tax exempt status.

Ironically, Fred Phelps used to be a civil rights attorney so he knows just how to walk the line.
edit on 10/12/2010 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Picketing the funeral and interrupting it can be seen as Westboro interfering with the civil rights of the mourners. Wouldn't that be the Westboro whacks not allowing others their right to freedom of religion? They could picket farther away and thus still have their freedom of speech .. and the Edwards funeral could go on with dignity and without interruption.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Wow that video. I don't want to be all "ignorance is bliss" because that's no answer, but watching these people enrages me to no end. Every time I see them on TV or whatever I have to change the channel because it's like nails on a chalkboard listening to people like them. I'm not trying to knock freedom of speech or the right to protest or anything, but these people deserve to have their mouths sewn shut.

I wonder, if they hate the USA so much and think that god hates it and is punishing people for it...then why don't they just leave the country and go live somewhere else? I don't get what their ultimate goal here really is? Do they even have a goal? I mean, if they live here they are obviously supporting the USA in some way, like taxes or something, so how are they exempt from their own outrageous claims? Maybe they should do god a favor and...

Why does it seem that so many people enjoy crusading for god, yet they forget the simplest of important things that Christianity is supposed to value and promote? What about forgiveness, kindness, love, respect, tolerance...have these aspects of Christianity been banned and I am just unaware?
I'm agnostic and I don't have a problem with people who practice a religion, but I have a problem when they practice it completely against their own books and try to tell people how to live, when what they need to do is look in a mirror. I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't have gotten far wielding "god hates ___" signs around and preaching hate and demanding punishments and basically saying "haha, you died and got what you deserved".

These people need to be stopped because it would be sad if yet more intolerance was caused by people believing that groups like these represent the core of Christianity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the bible say that god loves everyone, or that god loves all his children regardless of their sins, which would include homosexuals and adulterers?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

How has this group not been labeled domestic terrorists with all the laws that have been passed recently? I mean seriously...I believe in free speech, but these people are ridiculous!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ady37

Please.

Have you read the Bible?

Fred Phelps takes Sola Scriptura to a ridiculous level, and should not be called a Christian, he should be called satanic... if anything he is an instrument of Satan used to make others hate Christians as a whole.

None of his "teachings" bear out if one reads the "scripture" he spouts in context.

God is Love- two small examples out of hundreds-

2 John 1:6
And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

1 John 4: 7-8
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

www.biblegateway.com... John+4&version=NIV

What bible is Phelps reading?
Not mine.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ady37

I thought their reasoning for not liking soldiers was in relation to the move to repeal DADT and let homosexuals openly be part of the military. Not just because soldiers kill people, right? Or am I wrong? I thought they are condemning the US government and military for thinking about getting rid of DADT, and saying that the soldiers deserve to die for it. Like I said, these people give me a .ache, so I try not to delve too deeply into this.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe some people should start volunteering to make a human "block the whacko's from being seen" wall at the funerals they decide to protest. They still get their freedom of speech, just not within sight of any mourners. Maybe if it's done enough times, they will stop these heartless publicity stunts...

On a personal note, if I ever came across these pin.s, I suspect I'd end up resorting to a nice right hook to their leader. Few people/things make me want to hit someone, this group is one of them.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

I know that veterans groups and some Harley groups have gotten together in some places where they picket at a funeral, make a line of bikes, and drown them out with their motorcyles~
Pretty sweet~

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
Maybe some people should start volunteering to make a human "block the whacko's from being seen" wall at the funerals they decide to protest.

Do you remember a few years back ... there was an Amish schoolhouse not too far from here that a gunman opened fire in and killed a half dozen little girls in. Some were wounded and ended up in hospitals around here, but many died. The Westboro idiots were going to go picket the Amish funeral. A bunch of people here decided to be a 'human shield' and were going to volunteer to block the roads and stand around the funerals so they couldn't get in. I was all set to go and be one of the 'blockers' .. but then Westboro backed down when someone paid them off with free airtime on a radio somewhere.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

That is very cool of those groups to do.... I really am disgusted by this group & stopped reading news reports on these idiots because every one of them made my blood boil.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by lynn112
Maybe some people should start volunteering to make a human "block the whacko's from being seen" wall at the funerals they decide to protest.

Do you remember a few years back ... there was an Amish schoolhouse not too far from here that a gunman opened fire in and killed a half dozen little girls in. Some were wounded and ended up in hospitals around here, but many died. The Westboro idiots were going to go picket the Amish funeral. A bunch of people here decided to be a 'human shield' and were going to volunteer to block the roads and stand around the funerals so they couldn't get in. I was all set to go and be one of the 'blockers' .. but then Westboro backed down when someone paid them off with free airtime on a radio somewhere.

Star for you!!! what a great gester & I'm glad those SOB's backed off, even if it meant some radio time for them to spew their insanity.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I vaguely remember this but on what grounds were they protesting the Amish?

If ever there was a purpose for anonymous...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

You are so right FlyersFan! These people are purely vile. Perhaps it is this group of malcontent freaks that will heal the left/right rift in the US since we both have more loathing for them than for each other!... maybe not, but still, these people are attention seekers and abusers of the first amendment.

They will reap what they sow eventually.

Obs out

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

You don't even need to pass new laws, there are existing once, like about "nuisance" etc. Frankly it's just a matter of enforcement, because it would take a large team of police to book everybody in this bunch of loonies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join