It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space company's secret cargo a 'cheesy' joke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Space company's secret cargo a 'cheesy' joke

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Call it one small step for a cheese, one giant leap fromage-kind.

A wheel of Le Brouere cheese was the secret cargo aboard the SpaceX Dragon, the first commercial spacecraft to be recovered from Earth orbit, the company revealed Thursday. SpaceX co-founder Elon Musk hinted at the cargo after the capsule's successful splashdown in the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday afternoon, suggesting it had something to do with the British comedy troupe Monty Python.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well it would appear the Military either has a sense of humor or the joke is on us, as the private company that built and operates the military’s “Mini-Space Shuttle” is now revealing the “top secret” cargo was a wheel of cheese complete with photographs to ‘support’ it’s claim.

Disinformation or truth?

In an ode to both comedians and conspiracy theorists the company is stating that Monty Python movies influenced the decision of what cargo to launch for this first ‘test’ flight, and that the comedy movie ‘Airplane’ led to them bolting a barrel to the crafts floor replete with the logo of a cow with Top Secret painted on it to hold the cheese.

Is this though a ‘test’ flight too, to convince Americans and the rest of the world that billions of dollars were spent to procure the first wheel of cheese from outer space for sale at an exclusive up scale cheese and wine shop near you?

Tongue and cheek humor aside, maybe it’s no laughing matter at all in these economic times that so much money was spent to see if we could send ‘cheese’ into space.

Truth or cover-up? You make the call!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Maybe it was alien cheese

You just never know...
edit on 12/10/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Is Le Brouere cheese any good? I've never tried it.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Due respect, OP, you may have read one too many conspiracy theories lately. The object of the mission was to prove the viability of the commercial space flight. The type of cargo is insignificant. I, for one, am glad to see that people still have a sense of humour, although a block of Venezuelan Beaver cheese would have been funnier.

"Now, go away! Or I will taunt you a second time." [Raspberry sound ensues.]

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It's pretty sad when a wheel of cheese has a better chance of going into space then I do!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Due respect, OP, you may have read one too many conspiracy theories lately. The object of the mission was to prove the viability of the commercial space flight. The type of cargo is insignificant. I, for one, am glad to see that people still have a sense of humour, although a block of Venezuelan Beaver cheese would have been funnier.

Oh I don't believe for a second that they would risk a wheel of cheese, and a multi-billion dollar space craft, and not want to put into jeapordy and risk a military payload that the thing was made for.

Losing that would have simply been a fraction of the cost of losing the space craft itself.

So no, in reality all you are doing is showing a degree of naïveté’s that is typical amongst some dabbling on the fringes of the real world for humor's sake.

We don't know what was on the craft, we simply know what they want us to believe was on the craft. The fact that they want us to believe that particular thing was on the craft, clearly displays they don't want us to know what was on the craft.

In fact, further, not only are they hiding what was on the craft, the humor that they are employing and deploying to it, is a direct reference to those people who know there would have been something on the craft.

What ever they deployed can be remanufactured, in the race that is on, amongst the militaries and spy networks, you wouldn't miss out on an opportunity to be first to deploy something of supreme and secret importance by waiting another six months when you could lauch it today, whether it's a proven vehicle or unproven vehicle that will be launching it.

Save the rasberry for comedy central, or yourself, since clearly these people are laughing at you!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Oh I don't believe for a second that they would risk a wheel of cheese, and a multi-billion dollar space craft, and not want to put into jeapordy and risk a military payload that the thing was made for.

Losing that would have simply been a fraction of the cost of losing the space craft itself.

So no, in reality all you are doing is showing a degree of naïveté’s that is typical amongst some dabbling on the fringes of the real world for humor's sake.

We don't know what was on the craft, we simply know what they want us to believe was on the craft. The fact that they want us to believe that particular thing was on the craft, clearly displays they don't want us to know what was on the craft.

In fact, further, not only are they hiding what was on the craft, the humor that they are employing and deploying to it, is a direct reference to those people who know there would have been something on the craft.

What ever they deployed can be remanufactured, in the race that is on, amongst the militaries and spy networks, you wouldn't miss out on an opportunity to be first to deploy something of supreme and secret importance by waiting another six months when you could lauch it today, whether it's a proven vehicle or unproven vehicle that will be launching it.

Save the rasberry for comedy central, or yourself, since clearly these people are laughing at you!

Do you have any evidence that the secret cargo was military or are you just saying that because "OMG EVERYTHINGS A CONSPIRACY AND MILITARY EVIL"

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
It's pretty sad when a wheel of cheese has a better chance of going into space then I do!

May I suggest an occult spell that might turn you into a wheel of cheese!

There is more than one way to skin a cat you know!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I will show you my bill of lading when you show me yours.

I wish people would use a little more critical thought at times, this is a commercial enterprise, how much money do you imagine a wheel of cheese paid to go into space for six months?

How much money do you imagine someone paid to send a wheel of cheese into space?

A commercial enterprise would have only been launched to actually deploy something of significant value.

Do you really imagine that they had a guarantee that the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria were going to reach the New World, or that they even cared? No, they took a calculated risk to undertake a commercial endeavor.

That’s what all ships have been doing since the dawn of sailing.

Whether you are sailing into orbit, outer space, or across the Atlantic, I really do question those who would believe our government and corporations on anything with their track record.

Seriously.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
sending a bacteria infested block of cheese into space. i know its unlikely to you know pass anything on to anywhere else, but shouldnt this be a consideration with space flight?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

anyways...

Guess this gives a whole new meaning of "Who moved my cheese"

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Would you rather they test it on humans then?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Well it would appear the Military either has a sense of humor or the joke is on us, as the private company that
built and operates the military’s “Mini-Space Shuttle” is now revealing the “top secret” cargo was a wheel of cheese complete with photographs to ‘support’ it’s claim.

Disinformation or truth?

Truth, I have it on good authority that the cheese came from the owners personal refrigerator, a friend of a friends wife told me. It had been aging for over 25 years just waiting for an occasion such as this, the cost was next to nothing.

NASA should take a clue from this.

Great thread as usual Proto. S&F
edit on 10-12-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Yeah well my neighbor says her son was sent aboard that flight on a colonizing trip to Saturn and that it's the God's honest truth, because she said, he said, that's why he can't pay back the $500.00 he borrowed from her three weeks ago, because he's off the planet, but will as soon as he gets back in 10 years!

She misses him terribly and I sure can't imagine a son lying to his mother about something like that!

So there!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

For the Monty Python fans among us, and for those (such as the OP) whose minds are on more sinister things, here's a clip to watch while you're pondering cheese in space.

If you'll excuse me, I have some dabbling on the fringes of the real world to go and do now.

top topics

join