It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look What You Can Buy With Food Stamps.........

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'd have to hope that such examples are not commonplace, but the extreme...

Still though, it does shine the light on a need to further specify what should be able to be purchased with these funds. Exotic and expensive foods of course, are the obvious things to exclude.

To be honest, last year, my wife and I were BOTH laid off, and on unemployment for a few months, and sadly, STILL made about $200 too much per month, to qualify for food stamps...Are you kidding me? Luckily, we've both been back working now for a year...

I remember when I was in high school, working at a local supermarket, and this lady dripping with gold, loaded up two shopping carts worth of stuff, paid in food stamps (they were stamps back then)...and then I carried them out and loaded them into her Mercedes... Man, it was hard to keep my composure. Granted, I don't know if she was just a family friend, etc., but just the whole scene cheesed me off...and riled me up for the whole day...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sara123123
reply to post by fredcall

The junkie you refer to would be put in the hospital with an IV and three squares.

And according to ObamaCare, that junkie would be taking up bed space otherwise used by someone sober and in need of medical attention for one reason or the other.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ajewel4u

Having been a single mom for 10 years and sometimes getting my child support I managed to stay off food stamps for 9 of those 10 years. I finally broke down and got them, and let me tell you it wasn't easy to get them. They put you through a belittling process and require you to do things someone like me normally wouldn't do because I know better. The only reason I got them is because I was soaked dry by lawyers during a custody battle that was never ending. So I think it's the system that ultimately gets you on food stamps in the first place in one way or another. Usually someone gets on food stamps in the first place because they don't have a job or money. Well someone who doesn't have a job or money can't buy many things with the food stamps like toilet paper, detergent, dish soap, shampoo, conditioner and the list is very long. I think that the system is set up for us to police one another and that's what I see happening on this thread. Not only does the system belittle you but so does the general public in general. Who are you to judge what a person may be going through. Have you walked in those peoples shoes. If they buys lots of stuff like candy that isn't healthy, that just shows their intellect level and 10 times out of 10 those people were probably educated by the very system they rely on for their food stamps and food supply. When people suffer they reach for things that bring them comfort and that can come in many forms of self abuse. Instead of judging one another maybe we should be compassionate and understanding. Why is that so much harder to do than to just throw stones and think that we are better than the "other" guy? Would it be so hard to go up to that person and just give them a hug or offer a kind word? Really, love is what we all need deep down. I bet you can't buy seeds with your food stamps; especially now. Aren't seeds a form of food, more so than candy? Maybe the finger is being pointed in the wrong direction. I was told by a lawyer once that it's not what is that matters, it's only what it can be made to look like. Unfortunately, I think that applies even out of the court room. We are cruel to other people simply by our own deception.

I wish I can give you 50 stars for this. I don't use foodstamps anymore but when I did, the process was almost insulting. Besides literally taking your entire day, The people that work there ended up there because they needed assistance also and while working there, some of them don't receive an actual paycheck since it's a part of the work experience program (WEP), their paycheck IS the food stamps and little cash assistance, rent assistance they already get. But when they speak/interview you, it's like they're above you because they're sitting behind a desk but we both know your getting the same thing I'm there for, if not more! This was every visit, every time, and many people who felt like their back was against the wall and had no choice but to apply for it had to feel this way with some of these workers.

So you have to go to these centers and deal with this crap. Then you have the people who are "too good" for Foodstamps, who say they will never be caught dead with it...why? Last I checked, Upper middle class isnt that anymore and middle class isn't getting any better either....

I know at least 2 families who make over 60k a year, one of the 2 always said "I work hard enough to keep my family stable financially". This year that same head of household felt like "their back was against the wall" and now receives food stamps. They are embarrassed to swipe the card while the other family knew what it was like to grow up poor so always understood and never degraded or insulted anyone because they use it and is more than happy to know that while they still work hard 12hrs a day, they worry less about putting food on the table.

People should be more considerate.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thanks to Buddy for emailing me this.......................

Priceless!!

Have you seen what your government is doing to you

www.youtube.com...

--
AS YOU PONDER ON THROUGH LIFE WHATEVER MAY BE YOUR GOAL, KEEP YOUR EYE UPON THE DOUGHNUT AND NOT UPON THE HOLE

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Thanks to Buddy for emailing me this....................... Priceless!! Have you seen what your government is doing to you www.youtube.com... -- AS YOU PONDER ON THROUGH LIFE WHATEVER MAY BE YOUR GOAL, KEEP YOUR EYE UPON THE DOUGHNUT AND NOT UPON THE HOLE

That was sooo off topic

But what in the world?!?!
Thats cats face is priceless!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I knew somebody that was on food stamps. She wouldn't buy nutritious food for her family. Instead, most of it went to junk food. No wonder she looked like a pumpkin when she wore orange.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If this country is so great we can give food away....then we can also catapult food.

Punkin Chunkin 2009: Trebuchets
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's the people that abuse the system that make it so people, like the ones posting here, have to suffer...

It pisses me off how truly lazy people are...

A lot of people on welfare are drug dealers too.. Making HELLA money selling drugs and then getting free money from welfare..

And now I am trying to sign up for Unemployment for ONE MONTH until school starts and i got a big ol fat DENIED on the paper, after working for four years almost nonstop......

But, my cousin, who hasn't held a job, EVER, and is almost 30 is getting a grand a month from some government hand out... BS

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? That junkie will be one of the prized citizens liberals care most about. They will toss out grandma and the new born baby first.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
here in Oregon the homeless buy cheap soda of which the food stamp card pays for the deposit, walk out back dump it all out go back in cash in the cans for the money and buy booze.

Yea taxes to the help. Don't worry be lazy.

I prefer we do not have food stamps and not be taxed into forced charity, but that we should help one another.

And those that do not wish to help that is their right.
edit on 10-12-2010 by ACTS 2:38 because: o

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Or, what if you could only get Government money if you volunteer somewhere?

I think that would be ideal, because no matter how busy you are, you can take an hour out of your day to donate some help..

Give 12 hours of your time to school kids, you get on the list for Unemployment or Food Stamps...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38

I prefer we do not have food stamps and not be taxed into forced charity, but that we should help one another.

And those that do not wish to help that is their right.
edit on 10-12-2010 by ACTS 2:38 because: o

I'm not Mormon, but I have worked with and around Mormons. In Florida, the Mormons have a 330,000 acre cattle ranch on which they raise their beef to feed other Mormons.

One thing I've got to say about Mormons, none of them will ever starve. If a Mormon comes onto hard times, food will be delivered to them. And some darn good beef.

They asked if I wanted to convert. Got to admit, I gave it some thought. But, alas, I got invovled in other projets.

What I've experienced from the Mormons made me a fan of Mit Romney. I can see what Romney was 'TRYING" to accomplish in Massachusetts. I can also see why it didn't work. The people of Massachusetts don't have the kind of discipline it takes to make the system work without taking advantage or corrupting the works.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

What a bunch of hogwash. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Your post reeks of bigotry.

When you apply for food stamps, you have provide a birth certificate and a social security card for each child. You also have to prove that you have custody.

You really think the person running the application just counts the number of children and writes it down?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

When you apply for food stamps, you have provide a birth certificate and a social security card for each child. You also have to prove that you have custody.

You really think the person running the application just counts the number of children and writes it down?

It's a very well known fact about the corruption within the welfare system. The Russian Mafia, for one, sells fake birth certificates and social security cards for children. The Russian Mafia uses the former Soviet identification systems that provide excellent counterfeit quality.

Say, Obama could get a birth certificate through the Russian Mafia families located in either Brighton Beach or Miami or Los Angeles.

Besides, it's a well known fact that welfare case workers take bribes.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Wow. The poor or unemployed are actually allowed to eat nice food sometimes
This must be stopped!

We should be feeding them a regulation government produced gruel which they have to crawl over broken glass to get to and have specially trained psyops personal shout insults at them while they eat it.
Better still why don't we just let them starve to death, we would soon see a drop in unemployment rates then
edit on 11-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Wow, yea because my area is riddled with russian mafia. You are really reaching for that one.

Also, if these people had money to buy fake certificates and to bribe caseworkers, they wouldn't need the 200 a month in welfare money.

Think about that for a moment...

In my state caseworkers are a state level position. You get caught and fired by the state, you will never work anywhere again.
Which also means if there is any corruption, it is local. one state is not connected to the next. Which is probably the only issue that isn't caught is people applying in mulitple states. But even then, states go out of their way to check up on people.

You need to come up with a better cause for your blatant bigotry and paranoia then the russian mafia.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Wow, yea because my area is riddled with russian mafia. You are really reaching for that one.

Also, if these people had money to buy fake certificates and to bribe caseworkers, they wouldn't need the 200 a month in welfare money.

The FBI agents assigned to follow John Gotti used to get a kick out of ribbing the 'Teflon Don' that the Gambino Family (for one) could no longer keep pace with, or were as vicious as the Russian Mafia families of Brighton Beach. The Russian Mafia has the reputation of being the underworld's best computer hackers. The Russian Mafia families in Miami and Los Angeles and Chicago, to name a few American cities, are listed as the most powerful Mafia families in America. According to FBI statistics. The Russian Mafia is also very active in the Sicilian Cosa Nostra and Neoplitan Camorra and the Calabrian 'Ndrengheta areas of Italy and the island.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Wow. The poor or unemployed are actually allowed to eat nice food sometimes
This must be stopped!

edit on 11-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

True. Welfare liberals who claim that America is unfair to them should try living in Eastern Europe or Africa or Western China or Siberia to get an idea of how scarce food can become.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This is just wrong!!

I worked for two grocery stores, one when I was in HS and the other years later and the difference in what they allowed people to get over the years changed.

When I was growing up my mom had food stamps, the paper ones. You could only get the basics with them, no candy or fancy cereal, which as a kid I didn't like because what 8yr old wants corn flakes everyday but I was grateful to have breakfast.
Anyway....When I worked for Publix years ago I was amazed at what people could get. They ate better than I did. I had a diet of ramen and pasta with beef every night. I couldn't get assistance to save my life and still can't. They would come through with seafood and fancy meats, all things my mom could not get when I was a kid. I had one lady curse me out left and right because I told her she couldn't get the Publix sub on her EBT card. She said I was denying her and blah blah blah. I had to bite my tongue, this woman looking at her could sell the gold from her neck, arms and fingers and feed her family for a year probably. She had he fancy hair done and nails and her designer fake Louis Vuitton, which are still pricey, and he BMW car keys. Yeah tell my why I should have any sympathy for people like that who abuse the system. I saw it all the time and still do. I know many many people on food stamps who do NOT need them nor do they deserve them. There should be a limit on how long you can be on and you should not be allowed to get special treats with them. It should be for basic foods and nothing else. These people are abusing the system and it makes me sick...I could go on my own rant but I won't

I have never once received any kind of assistance. I tried to apply a few times just so I could buy food and go to a doctor but was denied. I bought a lot of pasta and made a lot of bread during that time of my life. I dont get these people who milk the system when there are others out there who really and truly need it. I could probably go apply right now and get assistance because I am a student but I won't..I have a roof over my head and I am fed. I don't need any help and I know there are others out there worse off than me. These people see free money and just want it and don't care. Ahhh it makes me so mad!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fredcall

It's a very well known fact about the corruption within the welfare system. The Russian Mafia, for one, sells fake birth certificates and social security cards for children. The Russian Mafia uses the former Soviet identification systems that provide excellent counterfeit quality.

Say, Obama could get a birth certificate through the Russian Mafia families located in either Brighton Beach or Miami or Los Angeles.

Besides, it's a well known fact that welfare case workers take bribes.

People take bribes in ALL forms of employment!! It's sad that some workers do but it's how it is as bad as that sounds.

Also I have never heard that about the Russian Mafia care to provide sources or are we suppose to take your word for it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join