It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Married or You're Fired, And He Means it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Debora Hobbs a North Carolina sheriff's dispatcher was ordered to get married or lose her job. Her supervisor used a statute that dates back to 1805. North Carolina is one of seven states with laws against cohabitation by unmarried, unrelated men and women. Hobbs has lived happily for 12 years with her boyfriend and is now being forced to choose between a forced marriage or her job. And this is AMERICA?

ABCNEWS.com

July 3, 2004 What would you do if your boss told you to either get married, or else you would lose your job?

A rural sheriff's dispatcher says she was given this agonizing ultimatum for living with her boyfriend of 12 years in North Carolina. The state is one of seven with laws against cohabitation by unmarried, unrelated men and women. As Debora Hobbs tells it, she was approached by her supervisor in Pender County for violating a statute that dates back to 1805. She then had a decision to make: Leave her job, get married, or move out.

"I took a little time and contemplated it," Hobbs told ABC News' Good Morning America. "Thought maybe, for a couple of days, should we do this to keep the job? And then I turned around and said no. I don't think anybody had the right to make me make that decision." She admitted she "knew there was some type of ruling about cohabitation," but never expected it would be applied to her.

"I just couldn't believe it was happening, really," said Hobbs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hobbs decided to quit the sheriff's office, and is now taking her story to the media. The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina is looking to challenge what it considers to be an unconstitutional law.

This is the most insane law I have ever heard of and even more crazy is that a supervisor of a sheriff's office used this antique law to attempt to force his moral will on an employee.

This is just nuts. and its real not fiction.

Well she does have three options. Maybe she could move out and just visit her boyfriend. Supervised visitation of course, and maybe then she could keep her job?

[edit on 3-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Obviously this law was guided with the Judeo/Christian ethic in mind. I see so many posts, wondering why our government can't have a little Judeo/Christian mentality in our government, every now and then. This is why. This is what our country was founded on. Sometimes the ideas of what our country has been founded on needs to be changed. It all starts with the little things, that everyone says is no big deal. The next thing you know, we have laws passd, based upon those litttle things that seemed so innocent at the time.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
My gut tells me that she probably did her job well but had a run in with the boss and he used this to get rid of her. I've seen that more than once. It's a freakin joke.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
What she ought to do is take this to the courts in North Carolina. I'm sure they will settle it there and eventually get this law repealed within the State Congress.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Does anyone know what the other states are that have laws
againist co-habitation ? I was wondering if I'm breaking the law?l

[edit on 4-7-2004 by RealFlight]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Wonder if they've ever used the same last name, then they could possibly say they're common-law married eh?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
My last wife and I lived together and had a wonderful relationship in every possible way until we got married. Then everything fell apart. Marriage may not be a good thing for some people.

By the way I wonder if they have any laws against ex wives? it would be great if I could find one that would keep mine away.

Gazz

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think this women should challenge the court and say if she has to get married under this law then everybody couple that live in the same jurisdiction and are cohabiting have to comply too.

I bet its going to a lot of couples involve.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Here are the states withh cohabitation laws still on the books.

"States that have cohabitation laws on the books include Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Virginia, and West Virginia."

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
In other words, you can't work for the sheriff's department and have a roommate? I can't see the difference.

Take them to court - she'll win hands down.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I get the feeling her boss is ticked off because she refused to have sex with him. Could be he's just looking for a way to hurt her. Somebody gets his pride hurt, and all they want to do is get them back any way they can.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Thats crazy. Say you're going to college and have a roomate then you can't work there. They should get rid of this law. It's really stupid.

LL1

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm certain they will love to hear the case.

www.eeoc.gov...

new topics

top topics

join