It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan Rather: Free Journalism Would Have Stopped the Invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
In an article in the Guardian, John Pilger discusses why the wars aren't being reported honestly. He talks of Cheney's plan for perpetual war, and of the name of the enemy they dare not speak: the public. Dan Rather describes how US journalists have become 'stenographers' and are afraid of losing their job.

www.guardian.co.uk...

"Dan Rather, who was the CBS news anchor for 24 years, was less reticent. "There was a fear in every newsroom in America," he told me, "a fear of losing your job . . . the fear of being stuck with some label, unpatriotic or otherwise." Rather says war has made "stenographers out of us" and that had journalists questioned the deceptions that led to the Iraq war, instead of amplifying them, the invasion would not have happened. This is a view now shared by a number of senior journalists I interviewed in the US"

Wikileaks' Julian Assange has been prepared to put his life on the line to get the truth out, it's time some of these already wealthy journalists put their duty to their country first and start speaking out. Their choice: lose your job or lose your country and your freedom.
edit on 10-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

This is why we need Wikileaks and a free Internet, and this is why they want to suppress both.
edit on 10-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
They absolutely have the power to prevent wars. Media is the most dangerous weapon of mass destruction but they only do half the job....

People that work in media have the power to tell the truth or at least say what they really think. Problem is some of em actually believe what they're saying and the other part are bitter men who don't believe in truth no more and are just glad to be among the few privileged slaves with secure income. I assume they think of people as total idiots beyond help....

How can one blame them, almost all wars are justified by the great jury aka the people. It just takes a good lawyer (media in this case) to make the enemy look bad, start with baseless accusations, misinformation here and there, bend the truth a little, add some made-up evidence, repeat offensive words a million times and voilà a death sentence.... but the blood is still on the jury and they'll all have their own trial one day IMO, its a magical never ending circle of violence and bloodshed.

Star and flag for bringing this....
edit on 10/12/2010 by SassyCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

*standing ovation*

This is the first thing from a journalist I am impressed by in a long time... well other than John Stewart....

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

EXCELLENT find. Thank you thank you.

Worth repeating:

Lose your job or lose your country and your freedom.

Hmmm.

Job?

or

Country and freedom?

I dunno. What's more important?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Lose your job or lose your country and your freedom.

Those who choose their jobs over country and freedom are opting for corporate government - no vote, no rights

Get it?

[Bloody hate it when I kill a thread.
]

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It would help to have journalist that are financially supported by the public, instead of corporations,,, well of course in a perfect world.
But then, Assange/Wikileaks have been criticized and considered suspicious for requesting donations. The NERVE! lol

If we don't want them to be controlled by government and corporations then we have to give them some financial support. Look at what happened to PBS, I nearly vomited the first time I saw the "support" announcement by McDonald's, which of course was NOTHING but an advertisement, now days they are just flat out commercials ON PBS.

To be sure, if you expect a journalist to "work for their country" you are very likely asking a journalist to put their careers and lives at risk. Who the hell is going to give them air time or ink. There simply won't be very many willing to put it all on the line. They are people to with spouses, kids, LIVES.
edit on 12/10/1010 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

top topics

join