It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anon is on ATS.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think you are right.

Of course Anon is on here, well some people who act out under that name.

Peace guys

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Advantage

Saying "they" in reference to Anon is a difficult thing to put into context. Imagine that you live in, say, Los Angeles, and there is a riot there. You are a citizen of L.A., you actively participate in things that happen in L.A., but you don't agree with the reasons for the riot, so you do not participate.

Now, imagine that I come along and say "Well, Hell, you're an Angelino, so you must be guilty regarding the riot." It would not be applicable, accurate, or justifiable.

Such is Anon.

Saying that all Anons are culpable is like saying that we, as ATS members, are personally responsible for each and every post and thread on ATS. The fact is that we all have our own individual opinions, ideas, and subjects that we participate in. ATS is not a universal for us... It is simply a common board where we congregate - in agreement or otherwise.

In the paypal thread you will notice that I stated my opinions about this Anon op. I disagree heartily with it.

~Heff

That in a nutshell, is exactly it. Anon is no more than a collective group of people, who share ideas or catch onto ideas from others, and follow up. No different than us saying "Whats that on the moon?" and everyone with an interest has a gander, those who are tired of that go "Sigh" and others avoid it - yet we're all ATS.

Difference really is, we have terms and conditions... Anon don't.

So from hassling random youtube emo girlies, to facebook hacking, to scientology, to paypal... if enough of them find it either worthy of the cause, or sufficient for a successful lol, they'll be at it. They're neither GOOD nor BAD. Chaotic I'd think defines the mindset of them in action. By them, I am referring to people from all over the globe engaged in a similar action for the same cause...

It's the media that's created this ominous box in which to put them...

A lot of forums have "Anonymous" as a posting name, which 4chan has... the meme of all memes, really..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Ah, like Fight Club, but without the fists and dark humor. C'mon guys, set a building on fire in the shape of a smily face!

I promise your posts make me laugh every time.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

We are not all Anon.

Some of us have to type up those lists.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well it seems the board is littered with Anons.
But it also seems that it's littered with government shills making "out" lists too.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Heff and Badw0lf.... for the first time I went to 4chan tonight. EWWWW... blech.. dont go there!
At LEAST get good p0rn.. not THAT.. and yeah, I looked in other areas too and looks like a bunch of kiddies.

I didnt understand until Heffs post that anon was involved in other endeavors.. not this operation which I too very much disagree with... hence.. not disliking the people themselves. I think that the way the media is portraying it.. it is a common belief ( as I had until earlier tonigjht) that anon was simply doing illegal or immoral BS that I disapprove of. In reality, thats not true. You can bet the media will NOT allow that part of the story to become well known. Anon folks are definitely the bogeyman of the moment. I do wish that this was made clear to us old bone headed folks earlier on.
Im also noticing that some of those who support the current op dont know that either! If you look.. all over the web people think that Anon jiust cropped up NOW to support the dastardly wikileaks... and now anon folks are the bad guy.

You anon folks shouls smack the guy who released the manifesto and the guy who decided to be your rep adn do a TV interview... seriously. Youre no longer anonymous and that alone has really made the whole thing a failure from here on out.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I kind of understand the "we are all anon" bit but I imagine that the OP is actually talking about the group of people (around 30000 I believe) that took an active role in the latest DDOS attack on Visa / Paypal / Mikes Tyre emporium or whatever.

Edit to add
I do not want to be associated with anything to do with 4chan..... ever so can I be taken off of the Anon list
edit on 10-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

There also seems to be some people who lack a proper sense of humor. I wonder if there is a list for that?

Hail COBRA!!!

edit on 10/12/10 by MikeboydUS because:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Anon is certain individuals, and anon is all of us.

Each of us can be Anonymous.

Keep on hitting em where it hurts boys and girls.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Anonymous is not an organization.

Basically you're a member of Anonymous if you think you are. That letter that someone recently posted describes it quite well, in that Anonymous changes from day to day. Basically just some guy wrote that letter, some guy who just felt like it. There is no hierarchy, no assignment to engage in various actions like writing that letter or engaging in DDOS attacks.

In the case of a letter, it's easy for one guy to just do it. In the case of a DDOS attack, they use message boards such as 4chan to gather enough people willing to participate. A few savvy programmers write a program that will send packets to the target site, and distribute the executable on various websites. Anyone who wants to participate takes the executable and runs it and thus helps with the attack.

It's hard to get across in words my idea of what Anonymous is. There's really been nothing quite like it in history as far as I can tell. It acts like a directed, hierarchical organization, but it's really not. It's just a bunch of Internet users.

Of course I could be totally wrong about all this. But this is what my instincts tell me about what Anonymous is.

edit on 10-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Thanks to the web we can all post things on the forum and nobody knows who we are. I love my web because I can sit at home and type on my laptop while others have an opportunity to read what I type. I think the web will solve all problems and every part of our life should be on the web, on my web, on my internet.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

It's hard to get across in words my idea of what Anonymous is. There's really been nothing quite like it in history as far as I can tell. It acts like a directed, hierarchical organization, but it's really not. It's just a bunch of Internet users.

Erm

Isn't that more or less the same structure as al qaeda?

PLEASE NOTE!
I am not comparing their actions!!!
Just trying to make an analogy of the decentralised structure

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

The problem is that it is not being represented as such to the masses
If you watch, they word it as if Anonymous is an organization that acts in concert for a certain goal. As in if one is guilty all are guilty who participate. They are using the manifesto and interview to cement this idea.. and Anon is the new bad guy doing all of this illegal stuff because they are vigilantes working for/with Assange or on his behalf basically. Assange never voiced this nor denied it.. but it was implied.. the sole goal was to avenge Assange and nothing more. When I was offline.. busy and wasnt here for a week or so.. all I had was mainstream news. It was very clear through the media that Anonymous was an actual organization with an agenda... as they wanted it to be understood anyway. IMO it would have been prudent to keep it actually anonymous without spelling out an agenda that could be used.. and apparently is being used now.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Maybe. I don't know anything about how Al-Qaeda is organized.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

Now to the proof ANON is a ats member and i think certain people here know it and are hiding the fact.

But my money is ANONYMOUS Is on ats!!!

ANON is an ATS member huh?

Do you really think that ANON is ONE person???

For real?

You better study up a bit man. lol

TheAmused~
this thread is..
well,....
amusing. lol

ANON is not, by far..
one person.
Not even close.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Well yeah, the media want you to think they are basically some terrorist organization. And many in the media probably believe that because they just don't understand how it works. They're from the old system, pre-Internet. And they will convince anybody over the age of about 30 who watches the news.

I just figure the joke's on them if they ever try to capture the "leaders" of Anonymous and, after nailing a few scapegoats, find that Anonymous is alive and well and probably stronger than ever, and wonder why they can't beat them.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Yes...there are many Anon here.

Some have been here for years.

You can not belong to anything connected to a large number of people online, without meeting Anon.

I suggest you educate yourself on what Anon really is...its origins...its history...its meaning...and figure it out.

PS- The most important thing is to decide how you will deal with Anon...and how you personally feel about them, based on your research not what is handed to you by a biased network or organization.

PSS- I personally suspect you are trolling for the lulz...forgive me if I am wrong.

MM

edit on 10-12-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Hahaha 4chan /b/ is rough that is for sure. Every man and his dog uses it as a place to wash their backside.

Mostly these days however, it's due to the limelight it has become so popular. Attracting script kiddies like flies. That's not to say it wasn't always how it is.. but now it thrives on it, I guess.

There are just so many people in the world, you can't place them all in one category - that's anon. It's just everyone really.

You know how it is - idle hands are the devils playground...

Before anon it was cult of the dead cow, etc... there's always been people somewhere doing something to someone that someone doesn't like so makes bad publicity for them
But back in 84- late 90's you could find them locally.. hehe

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Excuse me but what is anon?

"They were supposed to be Weeaboos. Some say their fathers were comics geeks. Nobody believed they were real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for Anon, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Anon. You never knew. That was their power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

One story the guys told me - the story I believe - was from their days before the iPhone and mobile posting took off. There was a petty gang of competing Imageboard geeks that wanted their own board. They realized that to be in power you didn't need guns or money or even numbers. You just needed the will to post what the other guy wouldn't. After a while they come to power, and then they come after Anon. They were small time then, just posting random shooped anime images, they say...

They came to the site usually frequented by Anon members in the afternoon looking for their business. They find the site pretty empty and decide to wait for the bulk of Anon. Anon memebers came back to their site. The memebers of the other BBS knew Anon was tough, not to be trifled with. So they let them know they meant business. They tell Anon they want their territory - all their images and Caturday motivationals.

Anon looked over their crappy No0b-style failmemes... and then they showed these men of will what will really was.

They tell him they would rather' see their family wincested than live another day after this.

They let the last of the competing imageboad geeks go, and then they go after the rest of the noobz. They DoS their kids' sites, they hack their wive's LiveJournal pages, they DoS the blogs of their parents and their parents' friends. They burn down the sites they live by and the e-commerce stores they work in, they hack the PayPal accouts of people that owe them money. And like that [KISS] they were gone. Underground. No one has ever seen Anon again.They become a myth, a spook story that server-room geeks tell their kids at night. "If you hack your dad's blog, Anon will get you." And nobody really ever really believes..."

-Tip of the hat to the Usual Suspects, of course...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join