It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate conference attendees will fall for anything: Sign a petition to BAN WATER!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Proving the point that climate change experts will fall for any junk science, a group of college kids got attendees at the Cancun climate conference to sign petitions to ban water and cripple the US economy.

COP16 Attendees Sign Petition to Ban Water, Harm US

Climate dignitaries, “experts,” and activists in Cancun for the United Nations COP16 global-warming conference were caught on film over the weekend signing a petition to ban water and another to cripple the U.S. economy if the American government refused to cooperate with the “international community.”

Carried out by the student arm of a market-oriented non-profit environmental group known as the Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT), the water-ban prank was meant to illustrate the gullibility of COP16 attendees. And according to the organization, it succeeded.

“It was designed to show that if official U.N. delegates could be duped by college students into banning water, that they could essentially fall for anything, including pseudo-scientific studies which claim to show that global warming is man-caused,” the collegians reported on the CFACT website.

“I was wondering if you might want to sign our petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide,” the CFACT signature collector asked an attendee pouring himself a cup of water. “DHMO contributes to the greenhouse effect, it’s a major substance in acid rain, it’s fatal if inhaled, it contributes to the erosion of natural landscapes … Basically, they want to use it in nuclear power plants, the production of Styrofoam, fire retardants, pesticides, and cruel animal research.”

The unidentified man finished off his water and promptly signed the petition. And according to CFACT, almost every other delegate the students approached signed on as well.

The New American

If they are gullible enough to sign on to this kind of stuff, how many other bunk scientific theories are influencing them?

edit on 12/9/10 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So what is the truth behind global warming then rofl. I should not have expected any better honestly. So I guess we all need to reconsider a majority of the "global" issues our governments decide to address.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
bump this thread
this is some funny funny stuff
ban water
pmsl
IMHO
this should be on the front page
we all need a good laugh and this is it

well done S+F

xp

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Excellent find! S & F from me, my friend!

One of the funniest things I've read here in quite a while.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Now if I can only find someone as crafty as those students to walk into one of these meetings amd persuade them to sign a petition stating the US should give ME 3.5 million dollars and get them all to sign. That would so rock...
If you know someone that may do this U2U me and I will give my fullname for the trial. Then I will split the cash with you.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Wow. W.o.n.d.e.r.f.u.l

TPTB and their minions are taking a real basting recently. LOVE IT!

A million people, taking a million different actions, will bring down TPTB.
edit on 9-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Its great when someone uses humor like this to show the world what a bunch of nimrods we have running the show. Those folks are supposed to be climate change experts, you would expect them to have just a little knowledge about stuff like that or at least ask a few more questions before signing their names to something like that.

Instead, they are so quick to ban anything that somebody tells them will harm the environment without any evidence to back up their claims.

Who needs science, this guy with the clipboard told me its bad, so it must be true.

God help us all...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

What will be even funnier is how many gullible saps sign off on this thread as if it actually means something.

Carried out by the student arm of a market-oriented non-profit environmental group known as the Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT)

"market-oriented" environmental group huh? lol

Go to their website and you can see for yourself this just another politically motivated astroturf group.

According to exxonsecrets.org:

CFACT - Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow has received $582,000 from ExxonMobil since 1998.

Their webpage has a direct link at the top to climatedepot.com, a propaganda website that is funded by Oil billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife and run by notorious political hack Marc Morano

Marc Morano - aka Rush Limbaugh's former "Man in Washington".

Also previously the Director of Communications for notorious Republican Oil shill James Inhofe, the man who once told Congress "Oil and Gas doesn't pollute":

CFACT's website also features a link to this story, where they claim "Climate sanity comes to Canada".

Yeah *bravo*. The story refers to an infamous recent event where conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who has all sorts of connections to the Alberta Tar Sands btw, used an unelected Senate to kill a climate bill that had already been passed by the country's elected MP's. This caused quite a stir in Canada as it basically just said F--- democracy.

Climate bill, Commons crushed in one blow

And of course these people are applauding it, because pissing all over the idea of democracy is a good thing as long as it suits your crooked agenda!

So it's obvious this prank had nothing to do with making a statement on climate change, or the expertise of anyone involved with the science. It was just another politically motivated set-up to incite derision and manufacture more doubt on a subject most people have zero proper understanding of. Meanwhile those people that actually got punked could have been anyone with a conference pass, just like these CFACT sheisters have their own passes. Watching that video it seems pretty obvious those people were total nobodies. But of course others will laugh it up anyway and get sucked right in to this sort of nonsense.

If you're one of them you're ten times more gullible than anyone who signed that petition. The only people really getting pranked are the ones flagging this thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I saw something like this a while back. I'd post the video, but I don't want to derail your thread. It's amazing how thinking-impaired the average person is. They don't know the issues, don't care about them, and wouldn't even think of doing their own research. It makes me sick. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide is so old i was getting sierra club members to sign them 20 years ago.

Fun is going out to Earth Day events and get the environmental weenies to sign the petitions to ban dihydrogen monoxide.

Some times i switch to Dihydrogen oxide or Hydric acid
www.stcloudstate.edu...
www.dhmo.org...

I had a copy of the material safety data sheet for dihydrogen monoxide the the safety book at the mine i worked at and had a mine safety inspector ask what i used it for and where we keep it stored.
I told him i keep it in the refrigerator with our lunches. Your not allowed to store hazardous chemicals with lunches.
for this i got a safety violation citation.
It was the one time i enjoyed going before the hearing judge for a safety violation. The judge actually knew what dihydrogen monoxide was and got a good laugh and dismissed all the violations we got.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
So, because some members of a movement are uninformed on basic chemistry, the entire movement isn't true?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The average north american has the average science education of a 12 year old
This makes for good sheeple.
If the Insane get control of the asseyelum...

there is an enron born every minute.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Feelings of low self-esteem. Also, nobody graduates from college who writes that global warming is an obvious hoax. It's a rite of passage.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Comic geniuses Penn&Teller pulled this:

"water is not only a "chemical" but also considered a "solvent"

" this petiton is to ban "water":
"no, no,no,...."
Yeah; yeah; yeah.
"Hook; line and sinker..."
edit on 10-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
So, because some members of a movement are uninformed on basic chemistry, the entire movement isn't true?

Face it; it looks bad. Remember in the O.P.; These people are tasking themselves with reordering the world for billions of people.I would want a few biochemists and inquisitive climate phd's up there not teenage or twenty something Benny and June.Doing what "feeeels" right( cause; you know man IS screwing up the planet.)

you don't need a phd to ask a question.They took her boiler plate environmental "schpiel" in stride."Its in our lakes and reservoirs,our vegetables,our babies food..and filled in the details: Dihydrogen monoxide= union carbide or Monsanto..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is where the term "useful idiots" came from. These "activists" are brain washed through their "education." It's getting worse.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

What will be even funnier is how many gullible saps sign off on this thread as if it actually means something.

Carried out by the student arm of a market-oriented non-profit environmental group known as the Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT)

"market-oriented" environmental group huh? lol

Go to their website and you can see for yourself this just another politically motivated astroturf group.

According to exxonsecrets.org:

CFACT - Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow has received $582,000 from ExxonMobil since 1998.

Their webpage has a direct link at the top to climatedepot.com, a propaganda website that is funded by Oil billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife and run by notorious political hack Marc Morano

Marc Morano - aka Rush Limbaugh's former "Man in Washington".

Also previously the Director of Communications for notorious Republican Oil shill James Inhofe, the man who once told Congress "Oil and Gas doesn't pollute":

CFACT's website also features a link to this story, where they claim "Climate sanity comes to Canada".

Yeah *bravo*. The story refers to an infamous recent event where conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who has all sorts of connections to the Alberta Tar Sands btw, used an unelected Senate to kill a climate bill that had already been passed by the country's elected MP's. This caused quite a stir in Canada as it basically just said F--- democracy.

And of course these people are applauding it, because pissing all over the idea of democracy is a good thing as long as it suits your crooked agenda!

So it's obvious this prank had nothing to do with making a statement on climate change, or the expertise of anyone involved with the science. It was just another politically motivated set-up to incite derision and manufacture more doubt on a subject most people have zero proper understanding of.

Are you even aware of the arrogance of that last statement? So by that you assume ONLY people who agree with you on this have "proper understanding."???

Meanwhile those people that actually got punked could have been anyone with a conference pass, just like these CFACT sheisters have their own passes. Watching that video it seems pretty obvious those people were total nobodies. But of course others will laugh it up anyway and get sucked right in to this sort of nonsense.

If you're one of them you're ten times more gullible than anyone who signed that petition. The only people really getting pranked are the ones flagging this thread.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

If you think this decision was made lightly or based on Harper being a "denier", than you don't know squat about Canada or Harper.

Canadian MP's tried to pass a "feel good" bill that had no plan, no attainable targets, and no long term development strategy. What was he suppsoed to do? Let "feel good" politics ruin our economy?

You do know that the same parties that proposed the bill are making it imposssible to achieve right? Ya, let's reduce our carbon emissions by 80% in 40 years WHILE we attempt to double our population over the same time period...they never seem to mention this in the media.

I think this single act showed Harper's true feelings about Canadians. He made a choice, potentially ending his political career btw, to protect Canadian jobs rather than make people feel good about themselves.

Wether we like it or not the Oil Sands are here to stay. They not only provide fiscal stability to Alberta, they now also provide a very large share of equalization payments accross Canada.

Canada is trying (more so the people than the politicians) to move away from an oil based economy, but it is decades away from achieving that goal.

PS: A great deal of Canadians think that that bill was run and pssed through commons in an attempt to topple the minority government. If that is the case, the bill was never interested in the environment to begin with.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

I'm not surprised that Exxon is funding this group, those college kids needed someone to pay their way to Cancun after all. Good for them if they want to expose those climate change zealots for their adherence to junk science, its just too bad they couldn't have spent their spare time enjoying the beautiful beaches there since the Gore effect hit the area.

Gore Effect Strikes Cancun Climate Conference

As if ClimateGate wasn’t bad enough, the climate politicos in Cancun are amidst record cold temperatures. The Gore Effect, of course, is the inconvenient coincidence that when Al Gore attends a conference to give a climate speech, cold spells and freak snow storms attend. He is not even there this time.

Wallstreet Pit

The world community has declared all out war on oil and coal in the past few years with their climate change ideology and it is good to see oil companies fighting back.

Sure, you can say those kids were bought and paid for by big oil in order to protect their highly profitable industry but, how many of those climate change supporters and scientists have their money riding on the Cap & Trade scheme becoming reality?

Its well known that Al Gore is heavily invested in the carbon trading market, I am sure a lot of those scientists pumping out studies supporting the climate change agenda also have their money riding on this scheme as well.

The bottom line is; both sides are driven by the goal of putting big bucks into their pockets and neither side is unbiased.

Would I like to see the world get off its oil addiction, reduce pollution and take away a key source of funding for those radical Middle Eastern countries? You bet I would.

The problem is, I would like the assurance that there is something reliable waiting to take its place after its gone. Just outlawing oil and hoping that something else will come along is foolish thinking and will prove disastrous for the already precarious world economy. The economy can't handle the proposals being put out by those climate change Chicken Little's and their greatest effects will be on the poor and middle class who will suffer the most under the proposed changes.

When somebody discovers a new reliable technology to replace oil, then will be the time to make the move. Until then, we should stick with what we know already works and not try to cripple the industry that keeps the modern world and economy rolling along.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

OK so then tell me something FortAnthem - if you think there actually is no reliable alternative out there ready to replace oil, why are these denial industries fighting so hard to tell you that?

I'll tell you why: it's because that alternative is ready, and they know it, so the only thing they can do is try and make sure you don't.

Is Clean Energy Ready to Take On the Fossil Fuel Industry?

The technology for this stuff has already been around a long time. "They" have fought to suppress it for a long time, and indeed been very successful so far. The thing is though now the global warming issue is making it harder and harder for them to do that, which is why they're attacking the issue itself with nonsense like this "prank".

Meanwhile the technology is only getting better and better. But the only thing that's still missing is the infrastructure. And the problem is the people who have the money to invest in this infrastructure don't want to because all their money is tied up in the status quo.

It is all about the bottom line and the bottom line is more money for themselves, not for you and me. And they make way more off of non-renewables because that way they get to control these finite resources that we all depend on. If they invested in clean energy all they would be investing in is our freedom from them.

So this is why you have things like carbon taxes introduced - because these people refuse to play ball, not because they are trying to scam you with it. Carbon taxes are thus basically just a way to get the people to start investing in clean energy for themselves. Cap 'n' trade meanwhile is a scam because it is a horrible compromise between clean energy regulation and a market-oriented approach that the purveyors of the status quo, i.e. the people ALREADY scamming you, not the environmentalists, want to see implemented.

Meanwhile you say it is our dependence on this system that keeps our economy rolling? First off - I don't think anyone would look at the economy today and say it is "rolling". But besides, you are on a conspiracy website, you should understand our entire economy is already a complete scam. It is a scam because these corporatist elites have milked it and exploited all of us for everything they can, and they simply want to keep it that way. Fighting global warming is a much bigger threat to their way of life than it is to ours. Instituting a green economy overhaul would not only create jobs, it would create jobs that serve the people and the planet first instead of THEM. So this is exactly why they're trying to deny it.

Green Recovery: A Program to Create Good Jobs and Start Building a Low-Carbon Economy
Generating Clean Energy Jobs
Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm: How to win the race for jobs
Yes, Green Jobs Are Real
2011 Outlook for Clean Energy Jobs in the U.S. – Beating the Trend

Look at the bigger picture, instead of all the little sideshows these people are deliberately putting out there to distract you from it - i.e. to KEEP you enslaved, not to protect you from it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join