It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness Gone Wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'm sure most of you have heard that Macy's recently fired a man that had been working for them for over 20 years playing Santa. Their reason was a couple of "tasteless" jokes he told (been using the same lines his entire "career."

www.ktvu.com...

Bad as THAT was, the flyer they have mailed to their best customers is just an insult.

market-ticker.org...

Sorry to post the link with so much opinion (although I agree with it) but I just can't seem to embed pictures.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

Your title makes it sound like there's something right about political correctness.

All I see is a form of censorship exercised horizontally rather than top-down (although most certainly encouraged and molded by those at the top). It's just a particularly grotesque manifestation of the natural human tendency to avoid unnecessary conflict with those in your same geographic area.

It's as if since we have a "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech" clause, we had to invent a new way to prevent unpopular opinions from being voiced so we resorted to ostracism from social and economic life.

/rant

edit on 9-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I agree with you on this one. After 20 years and only telling the joke to adults, he should get a pass, particularly when they ran that ad. He got a job making double his Macy's salary, though, so good for him.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Looks like a pretty hypocritical situation to me...

These days, if someone is offended, someone loses their job!
I say let the complainers be offended! It's OK. They're not going to die.

Remember: I saw Mommy kissing Santa Clause? You didn't hear a bunch of uptight people complaining about that! And if you did, they were told, "Too bad"! People are crazy!

new topics

top topics

join