It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vigilantes (Or Self Made Heroes): Is It Time to Take a Stand?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
We've read about them in comics, seen them in numerous movies and television shows and may have even known some: VIGILANTES. For lack of a better term, this is what we call them, but I'm not talking about the KKK or other various groups with little to no morals that are associated with the name, I'm talking about real life superheroes. No, not the current fad that has people dressing up god-awfully in some ill fitting jumpsuit and going to hand out blankets and canned goods to the homeless while helping old ladies across the street (lifestylers if you will), I'm talking about real people who get tired of seeing their neighborhoods suffer because of incompetent or on-the-take police officers and other authorities not lifting a finger on an ever escalating problem, so they gear up, get out and under the cover of darkness they take a stand the best way they know how...by doing it themselves.

My query, however, is one that has been recycled on almost a daily basis : "Why Are There Not Many People Willing To Do This"? You have an answer for me you say, "Well of Course they're not, they don't want to die moron!" or "Haven't you seen Kick-Ass and Watchmen"?, but no, I have heard those answers all before and am dissatisfied with such a lack of understanding to the question, more so the question should be "Is there no one willing to risk themselves to protect others and what they believe to be morally good"? Again you have a retort: "Then why wouldn't they just go join the police force or the military"? Answer: "Because, what if they know they can't TRUST their local law enforcement"?

It's a harder question than most give it credit for and I am just curious as to how many people out there have seriously thought about this (and I do mean seriously....) or knows someone that is a "prowler of the night, looking for justice". As I said, I have known a real life vigilante and that person inspired me to write this, because I have been in situations before where no one else would or could help besides one person (or many people) willing to make that choice to stand up for what they believe, regardless of the possible outcome and even though they don't have a badge or a rank they still put their life on the line for others.

I am not demeaning cops or military personnel, but if we are all honest with ourselves, we know that sometimes they just can't be depended upon. So, please think long and hard for this one and I would love to hear all views (good and bad) and all stories about anyone who may know one, is one, or has thought about being that mysterious word that holds so much symbolic hope in media and could hold the same for the real world: VIGILANTE.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Mr.Noman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am not going to get dressed up in a bat suit or whatever, but if faced between a life and death situation, which do not occur very often in my life, I would be willing to risk all to save a perfect stranger. In fact I believe I already have done this once.
But no I am not going to be a vigilante at this time in united states history, only if I was a bored billionaire(doubt that I would be bored) or had superpowers.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I understand completely, but the thing is for others that would want to do this, isn't this the perfect time in history to begin? Corruption is abundant and crime is everywhere. In my opinion, this would be a perfect time for such an idea if one should choose such a path.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I saved a girl once, I put my life on the line for a stranger.
Not as a vigilante, but I was walking home one night and there was a couple arguing.
The guy was shouting at the girl and she was crying. Normally I wouldve just walked past but the guy physically assulted her.
So before you knew it, I stepped in and solved the problem.
I walked her home, I dont know what happend to the guy, I left him looking up at the stars.
It was late and I was alone, the guy was a bigger guy and all but I had to step in.
Most people will not do this, they believe in law, thats why we dont have the majority of people going around as vigilantes.
I myself will not go around as a vigilante, but there are exeptions.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
If I had to do it I think I would go the route of say Robin Hood right now but well you know more modern.

I'm not so sure who the criminals are anymore here in the usa.
edit on 12/9/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think as the S starts to HTF, and more and more people find themselves forced to come to terms with the fact that the futures they thought they had are out the window, we will see a lot of very interesting social phenomena.

On the negative side there will surely be lots of every-man-for-himself activity, looting, violence, anything people can do to survive.

On the positive side there will be those who discover courage. This may manifest itself in people selflessly helping out those around them and caring less about their own lives than about making things around them more sane. In other cases it may manifest itself in a rise of vigilantism, the subject of the OP.

In the next decade we are going to see the worst and the best of humanity.

ETA: A good book if anyone is interested in reading material is Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". The first half of the book is an account of his experience as an inmate in a Nazi concentration camp. And it was just what I'm describing: the conditions brought out of the inmates both the worst and the best that human nature has to offer.

edit on 9-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I grew up protecting a handicap brother from bullies, from day one dad said it was my job and made sure I had the tools to do it, smarts and fighting skills. It felt good, its always feels good to help the underdog, sad to say but it bleed over into my young adult life in certian degree's, other then that Ive only helped in CPR, car accident issues.
As grim as it sounds, it would be nice to have a Punisher persona around to deal with the true scum of human kind, but to many loose lips running around to dodge the law.
Then your in that unknown cell some where in the system, in isolation and wondering if your effort really mad a diffrence.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

I do agree, thank you and I shall check out this book.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Niceone for that I will try finding the book at my local book store

Yes I think also that in the years to come we will see the best and worst come out of humanity.
Well, we are already seeing it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr.Noman

Reminds me of the movie Unbreakable with Bruce Willis.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Ha, funny you say that, the vigilante I know personally was inspired by that movie to do what they did. It's quite a good movie for anyone interested in this subject and yes, it's an M. Night Shaymalan film, but I promise it's worth it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The problem with vigilante justice is that you become your own moral authority and judge me on what I believe. Well, (let's just pretend that) I don't like how you think. I don't agree with your perception of justice and even reality. I don't think the people you see as bullies are really bullies. I certainly do not agree with your politics and I don't agree with where you wish the country (or world) to go. I want it to go another way entirely and I will work hard to ensure that happens.

Right now our system is such that even though we may disagree about pretty much everything we can still be neighbors, be cordial to and not kill each other. That's a set of expectations we both rely upon, like agreeing we will stay on the proper side of the center line when driving. It saves a lot of grief and we can actually get somewhere without hurting each other. If you decide to take matters into your own hands, either because you decide you want to drive on the opposite side, or because of some perceived social justice issue, we no longer have that social contract between us.

So here you are wondering if 'it's time to take a stand!' and I'm wondering, 'What exactly is he talking about?' Is your stand against what I stand for? Are you suggesting violence? It's one thing to actually put yourself out to save someone from drowning, but I have the feeling that's not actually what you are suggesting. You have just become a threat to me because I can no longer trust you to behave as expected. Here's a real world true story for you to think about.

My neighbor is a very nice guy. We get along. He was helping me out once and came upon my large cache of food. Now if the SHTF I can imagine a scenario where we would try to cooperate to survive. But he didn't say that. Instead he told me, in a joking manner, that of the SHTF he would know where to come and TAKE my food. I probably should not have blundered and let him see that, but the damage was done. So a few days later he and his wife stopped by and I told them about my new firearms, my AK and my AR. I also told him my wife had been trained in sharpshooting skills by her father, a Colonel in the Army. (This is all true.) The wife, in particular, was visibly shaken by this news. In my opinion, that family will be inclined to be much more cordial in asking me to share should that become necessary.

So, you see, that's kind of my problem with vigilantism. If you threaten me, I have no choice but to be prepared. And I'm betting I will be more prepared than you are. Now, of course this is not a real scenario between us so nobody needs to get worried or feel threatened, but it illustrates a basic problem with the idea. I would surely rather we kept the existing social contract between us because it's a lot safer for both of us.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You make a great point, however to clarify, this theory is based more on the fact that it becomes a phenomenon in which one or many said vigilantes become "notorious", being granted trust by the people by providing the moral actions necessary to sustain the collective values of the people. I am in no way suggesting that we give the idea life without first interpreting ones motives and actions that chooses to do this, then that becomes a whole other subject completely best suited for another forum.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Also, if you would please thoroughly read my post, you would know the hypothetical scenario I am basing this on and you would not try to turn this subject into an almost Orwellian, NWO type of view of vigilantism, because quite honestly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about with said scenario if you are doing what is morally acceptable by the masses of society. If that is the viewpoint you wish to take with it then you have to go deeper and ask yourself if what the government is telling you is right. If you don't even ask that question a little, then you wouldn't be on this site and you certainly wouldn't be in the philosophical and metaphysical section.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Mr.Noman because: error in spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr.Noman

OK. Thanks. But it's the "granted trust by the people" I'm having a problem with. I just don't see a modern day "Robin Hood" (group or individual) taking hold in such a polarized society. Though I do remember a group that dressed in red berets a few years ago? Does anyone remember that? Guardian Angels. But their approach seems rather minor compared to what I think you;re talking about.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I'll definitely hand you that, but again I am not talking about groups that the mass of society clearly see as corrupted such as: KKK, Hells Angels, etc. I am merely posing the philosophical query on what it would mean to become a symbol of hope for the people where there is none.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Mr.Noman because: wrong group name

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr.Noman

I'll definitely hand you that, but again I am not talking about groups that the mass of society clearly see as corrupted such as: KKK, Hells Angels, etc. I am merely posing the philosophical query on what it would mean to become a symbol of hope for the people where there is none.

Look, I must admit I have no idea what you are talking about. You titled your post "Vigilantes...Is it time to take a stand?" If I am not responding 'properly' to whatever it is you mean, then I would suggest you need to articulate what you mean more clearly. I think I have an idea of what the word "vigilante" means. I think I have an idea of what "taking a stand" means. Just exactly what do you propose? Just exactly what are you going to "make a stand" on? Do you seriously think you can become a "symbol of hope" for "people [who] have none"? The more I try to understand whatever it is you mean the more obscure it becomes. At this stage it sounds meglaomanical and the soapbox is going to seem a little lonely.

So to more properly answer your question, "No."

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I really hope your account has been hacked. This seems out of character to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join