It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active Denial Systems the new silent guard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I heard through the grapevine these systems will (probably are already) be used to secure certain restricted areas from intrusion. They basically leave the units on and create an invisible perimeter that cannot be crossed. Since these are non-lethal weapons I don't believe they need to advertise the fact they are in use either. I can't reveal my source but he has no reason to lie to me and would probably never talk to me again if he saw this post.

So for all of you wanting to sneak into bases, banks and anywhere else that is restricted heed this warning!

By the way does anyone know of a way to counter the effects of this weapon?

The ADS works by firing a high-powered beam of electromagnetic radiation in the form of high-frequency millimeter waves at 95 GHz[8] (a wavelength of 3.2 mm). Similar to the same way that a microwave oven heats food, the millimeter waves excite the water and fat molecules in the body, instantly heating it and causing intense pain. (Note that while microwaves will penetrate human tissue and remove the water to "cook" the flesh, the millimeter waves used in ADS are blocked by cell density and only penetrate the top layers of skin, so it will not damage human flesh.)

Wiki

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

a ferraday (spelling) cage would do it
bit scary tho

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

How about shark proof suits they are stainless steel mesh and titanium.

Would this work the same way???
edit on 12/9/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
I heard through the grapevine these systems will (probably are already) be used to secure certain restricted areas from intrusion. They basically leave the units on and create an invisible perimeter that cannot be crossed. Since these are non-lethal weapons I don't believe they need to advertise the fact they are in use either. I can't reveal my source but he has no reason to lie to me and would probably never talk to me again if he saw this post.

Well, you'd have heard it here, from me, as far back as 2007 if you'd read some of the ADS threads. Here's two, I know I've talked about it on other threads:

link
link

It's not a VMADS they left on though, it's a purpose-built unit designed to be a fence. There's a collection of Raytheon microwave toys like this. Others include Silent Guardian, which is a remote controlled ADS "sniper", or Vigilant Eagle which is sort of an anti-aircraft device.

The fence device can be left on at a low intensity at which it will sort of warn you off without being actively painful, but the unit can detect when there's a load in the fence (you) and it can be programmed to light you up for various reasons, like staying in the field for long. You can also set them up so that it traps you - say if there's an electrified wire fence and a microwave warning perimeter, and you cross the warning perimeter. The microwave fence then ramps up to full power, trapping you between the wire and the field.

edit - to answer your other question, it's not very straightforward to get past. ADS has a very very short wavelength, and it'll go right through ANY flaw in a mesh suit. I'd say that 99.9999% of hippies trying to get through one who aren't also radar designers or whatnot will fail and will be lit up. However, even if you had a mesh suit with no openings larger than, say, 3/10 of a millimeter (this includes seams, fasteners etc) you will still set off the field alarm when you cross the beam.

It's my experience, though, that no-one can make a millimetric wave proof suit that doesn't have the right equipment to test it for leaks, and you will have them.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Well thanks for the info I guess it is true then.
My 'friend' is an actual human being though, that I talk to often enough, I didn't learn this from ATS and didn't see any threads discussing this specific usage of the ADS. I live in a very interesting city small but integral to this type of research.
Anyway there has to be a way to design against this somehow in suit form.
I found this for a room design:

If you're looking for a "safe room", just put tight mesh aluminum screen (like insect screen for doors/windows) all along the floor, walls, ceiling, and door. Make sure all sections are connected to make an EMP-proof room. Ground the whole assembly to an earth ground outside via a wire.
If you think this won't work, take a battery radio inside the finished room and shut the door. You won't receive ANY radio signals.
Remember, this must be the smallest mesh you can find. Microwave lengths are very small. The radio wavelength of services like Directv or Dish (microwave frequencies) are on the order of a teardrop in size. That is why rain affects the signal so much.

Even if you double or triple up the wire mesh/screen that might help. Or I know it may be expensive but with nanotechnology increasing there has to be a material with similar properties as wire mesh or chain mail, silver would be good. Just a matter of time I guess
edit on 12/9/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Dude I've got it! Take apart a bunch of microwave ovens AND MAKE ARMOR! You could even have an in tact microwave as a helmet IT WOULD LOOK AWSOME!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
These systems are sometimes available on ebay etc as surplus , I kid you not , more a fancy microwave perimeter alarm than a people fryer.....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This article lists some information about ADS.

strangeweaponoftheweek.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's certainly nicer than the old option, land mines.

new topics

top topics

join