It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Placing Medium-Range Missiles in Venezuela; Can Reach the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I am not saying what Iran is doing is wrong. I just was curious how the reaction might go from various countries. Iran can do what they want with whatever country they want.

Yes, and I do think more people are waking up to the hypocrisy of the US...

I'd like to see a map of all US weapons and installations around the world.
Then you would see who is the one causing other countries to feel threatened..
edit on 9-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Obama up for reelection soon?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02600d96c823.jpg[/atsimg]

Nowadays, however, we do not see the same firmness from the present administration. On the contrary, we see a lax attitude, both in language and in deeds, that results in extending hands when our adversaries have no intention of shaking hands with us. Iran is soon going to have a nuclear weapon, and there are no signs that UN sanctions will in any way deter the Ayatollah's regime from completing its nuclear program. We know that Iran already has missiles that can carry an atomic warhead over Israel and over the Arabian Peninsula. Now we learn that Iran is planning to build a missile base close to the US borders. How longer do we have to wait before the Obama administration begins to understand threats?

edit on 9-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Why not?
The US has nukes located in various european countries. I'm sure you all read the cables regarding this fact. Why can't Iran do it in Venezuela?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
From a devils advocate position, Iran has been threatened and this move makes sense for them. You attack us and we can attack you!

But they (the Iranians) and their allies have a broader plan to use proxies to attack the USA combined with a broader plan to destroy the US economically.

"Terrorists" and cyber terrorists will be blamed, and retaliation will be difficult, especially when these groups publicly claim responsibility.

What is the US going to do?

Drop more bombs in Afghanistan?

Invade the tribal regions of Pakistan to go after the Al Qaeda boogiemans?

You made this monster, and now it WILL be used against you, in a major way!

Good luck America.

Simple fact of the matter is no, no they can't nor will they ever be allowed to launch any form of assault on America's homeland aside from a few dim witted suicide bombers. even then that really isn't Iran's style.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Gakus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nowadays, however, we do not see the same firmness from the present administration. On the contrary, we see a lax attitude, both in language and in deeds, that results in extending hands when our adversaries have no intention of shaking hands with us.

That's the part I just don't get..
What made all these countries "our adversaries" ?
Did they threaten us, attack us?

Just seems to me that the US creates enemies...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

We could always go with the jealous of the US argument if we want. OR maybe the nuclear deterant that is geared towards China and Russia.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
That's the part I just don't get..
What made all these countries "our adversaries" ?
Did they threaten us, attack us?

Just seems to me that the US creates enemies...

"All these countries"

So far we are talking about only two really. Adversaries doesn't necessarily mean potential war enemies.

I wonder how long before some idiot tries to mention the Monroe Doctrine?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wouldn't be surprised to see this be true, it makes sense for the Iranians. The Venezuelans? Chavez wants to be the big dog on the block, but Colombia has US billions. Brazil is spending and growing their military.

The whole world is filling the room with more gas, buying and selling it among each other, and they all have to have more matches.

Who will strike first?

Our southern flank is defended by bases in Texas, Calif and Arizona. But against ballistic missles?

If true, sad news.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Um.. but Iran's most advanced missile can only travel a distance of about 1,250 miles and Venezuela is around 3000 miles away?

Seems like a good way to sucker the American people into going into Venezuela like our government/corporations have wanted since the beginning of the decade.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't buy this. Chavez is a smart man, he knows the CIA has it out for him as they tried in 2002 to stage a coup to remove him.
I think this is more propaganda aimed primarily at Iran but bringing in Venezuela very conveniently.
Note Venezuela, Iran and North Korea are the only nations that do not trade their oil in petrodollars.
Chavez is rightfully a hero to his people and to all South Americans. He bucked the US corporate hegemony for the benefit of this people and many idolize him and his example.
America would do well to treat him and Venezuela as equals instead of truant children.
Our gunboat diplomacy is a failure and we must return to international relations built on trust and mutual interest.
We still have a long way to go before the world will trust us.

If the article's assertions are correct, they have every right to develop missile systems.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

Wrong, and will prove to be a dangerous assumption.

Well funded, extensively trained cells with tools/materials, intelligence gathering capabilities far more advanced than anything terrorists have had before pose a very serious and immediate threat.

Proxy of our enemies.

These will not be found or infiltrated... and ultimately it will provide our real enemy with the ability to attack us, and destroy our economy without fear of retaliation... The US will have only an Al Qaeda plot and claim of responsibility to use for justification in anything they do militarily afterward.

The only vulnerability these cells have is that they use the internet, and social networks to communicate domestically and internationally with coded messages and files. Finding and decoding are extremely difficult, but not impossible.

But our fine agencies are busy running sting operations on disturbed Islamic youths to show that they are catching terrorists... But doing nothing about the real threat, because apparently they can't!

Underestimating their actual capabilities is something they are hoping continues for a while longer as they plan, prepare and wait for orders.

edit on 9-12-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The current political situationin is already in a complete mess, why Iran do this ?To help the N.k. or something else?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I don't know if there will be much of a reaction by South American countries at all.

And I don't think the US has anything to worry about either.

I do think that this was just a deal setup for Iran to import the Russian S-300, so I would follow that with Middle Eastern countries might be more worried. Why though? It is a defensive system is it not?

I think Saudia Arabia is going to be pissed, especially after the leak that they want Iran bombed, but this could be moot as Iran's current systems can reach SA.

Maybe Israel, as these missile could make it much harder to remove nuclear installations with an air raid.

The more I think about, the less this move seems to really affect anyone majorly...so I really don't see anything to be worried about.
edit on 10-12-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Seems to be the general consensus... I just found it intresting Iran wanted to place missiles in Venezuela. As far as missile range I thought they had one capable of a few thousand miles. I know parts of Erope were in part of the missile range.

As far as the SA 300 system goes, yeah its defensive. Its top of the line Russian which is why people were upset. Of course that boils down to cuasing isues with any airstrikess that might take place, but another argument for another time.

With Venezuella hosting Russian military assets on occasion this seems like status quo and nothing more. I jsut find it weird Iran would deploy an external force in this manner. The only other thing I can think of is its a front for something else. I know Iran and Venezueala have announced plans to work together to develop nuclear power, and if I remember right Venezuela has some prety decent sources of urnaium that are so far untapped.

Its also possible its a cover to get missile technology to Venezuela for research and improvements.

Who knows really.. Just an intresting story.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Yes, and I do think more people are waking up to the hypocrisy of the US...

I'd like to see a map of all US weapons and installations around the world.
Then you would see who is the one causing other countries to feel threatened..
edit on 9-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

Oh good.. I was wondering when someone was going to take over from Ooozzyy.. Why dont you educate all of us on what you think your problem is?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Time to find out if Obama has the balls to handle the situation.

Remember that commercial during the primaries? The 3AM phone call one? I remember the SNL skit .. Obama getting woken up at 3AM with a crisis like this and then he turns around and calls Hillary to find out what to do.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by peck420

I jsut find it weird Iran would deploy an external force in this manner. The only other thing I can think of is its a front for something else. I know Iran and Venezueala have announced plans to work together to develop nuclear power, and if I remember right Venezuela has some prety decent sources of urnaium that are so far untapped.

I don't find it that odd when put in context of Iran's current situation.

When you can't get delivery you go pick up

top topics

<< 1   >>

join