It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Placing Medium-Range Missiles in Venezuela; Can Reach the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Iran Placing Medium-Range Missiles in Venezuela; Can Reach the U.S.

Iran is planning to place medium-range missiles on Venezuelan soil, based on western information sources[1], according to an article in the German daily, Die Welt, of November 25, 2010. According to the article, an agreement between the two countries was signed during the last visit o Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to Tehran on October19, 2010. The previously undisclosed contract provides for the establishment of a jointly operated military base in Venezuela, and the joint development of ground-to-ground missiles.

At a moment when NATO members found an agreement, in the recent Lisbon summit (19-20 November 2010), to develop a Missile Defence capability to protect NATO's populations and territories in Europe against ballistic missile attacks from the East (namely, Iran), Iran's counter-move consists in establishing a strategic base in the South American continent - in the United States's soft underbelly.

edit on 9-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I was wondering why this took so long, since it was only a matter of time before we had a repeat of the cuban missile crisis (so to speak). I am curious how this is going to play out in the realm of politics. Obviously Iran can choose who they are allies with, and the reciprocating country can decide to host troops / equipment.

Personally I dont see this being an issue at all, since our ground based missile defense (Patriots) would have no issues defending against a launch.

Either or, and intresting move.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Source?

2nd line..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wow,mind blowing,i bet the tptb didnt see this coming nor will they like it.
Great find.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I was wondering why this took so long, since it was only a matter of time before we had a repeat of the cuban missile crisis (so to speak). I am curious how this is going to play out in the realm of politics. Obviously Iran can choose who they are allies with, and the reciprocating country can decide to host troops / equipment.

Personally I dont see this being an issue at all, since our ground based missile defense (Patriots) would have no issues defending against a launch.

Either or, and intresting move.

Unless they were disabled. I can think of several scenarios in which they could be disabled and the iranian junk deployed before we could or while we couldnt counter it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

Source?

2nd line..

The bolded headline just above the main body is the link to the article.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Its interesting in terms of a non global power actually making an attempt to be one. By global power I am referring to the ability to project force at a level to make other countries take it seriously. I dont think Iran has the resources to project a lot of missiles into Venezuela to be a threat to the US.

The only other play I can see out of this is to deploy the missiles as a FU to the US, while using their placement to influence the countries around Venezuela. There have been a few border skirmishes between Venezuela and Columbia. I think Chavez might be going for the power broker position for South America.

I wonder how the neighbors feel about this down there.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This could be a game changer if true.
I have no qualms accepting it as reported however.
The US has aegis cruisers which could counter these missles from the gulf of mexico.
Howver, it is not likely they will allow this to proceed.
This is the finasl straw i think, and the campaign against Iran will proceed soon.
The provocation is too great fro the US not to retaliate in open warfare as their curent doctrine permits such preemptive strikes as well as nukes.
North Korea, and Iran are on borrowed time.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
You got to think this means the US will be getting ready to attack Iran before these missiles get installed. Can anyone imaging the ultra aggressive world policy of the US actually allowing this to take place?

I don't think they will attack Venezuela though, because they have alliances with most of the south american countries. That would be a dumb move.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
Wow,mind blowing,i bet the tptb didnt see this coming nor will they like it.
Great find.

tptb?
who is tptb?
the ones that would be confused and caught by suprise at missiles going to venezuela...or tptb that would use the excuse of a weaponised threat of oil rich venezuela for invasion to "protect" the southern united states?

You honestly think you know the moves of a super secret organization/s in regards to geopolical events?

I will tell you who doesn't like the potential of a weaponized venezuela...me...I live in Florida...and if it was undeniably proven that they had and were prepared to launch against me...I say knock their facilities out, glass the government, and take their oil.

you know what...I bet the mythical "tptb" certainly did see this coming if your much into conspiracy theories.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

it doesn't go anywhere for me.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
www.hudson-ny.org...

Time to find out if Obama has the balls to handle the situation.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

it doesn't go anywhere for me.

Sorry about that.. link is fixed now.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh we seen this coming we just forget..."The Bush administration said the system would protect Europe against potential future attacks by Iranian long-range missiles. Moscow has angrily dismissed those assertions, saying the system could eliminate Russia's nuclear deterrent or spy on its military installations.

Link

"During the campaign, Obama was not explicit about his intentions with regard to missile defense. The program has tended to draw less support from Democrats over the years,"

"Obama has said it would be prudent to "explore the possibility of deploying missile defense systems in Europe," in light of what he called active efforts by Iran to develop ballistic missiles as well as nuclear weapons."

And some will say yes but the missle defense was for Europe...correct but the writting was on the wall now how will stop Iran from installing them there...

Another point for all you anti nuke folks that want to reduce the nuclear stock pile I recently learned in an article in the boston globe that although Russia agreed to limit their nuclear missles to lower numbers they have done a fantastic job improving on missles with multiple warheads that would seperate from the one missle. So they may in fact be increasing the ability to hit more mutliple targets despite having fewer missles..

Link
edit on 9-12-2010 by chrismarco because: added link

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Advantage

Its interesting in terms of a non global power actually making an attempt to be one. By global power I am referring to the ability to project force at a level to make other countries take it seriously. I dont think Iran has the resources to project a lot of missiles into Venezuela to be a threat to the US.

The only other play I can see out of this is to deploy the missiles as a FU to the US, while using their placement to influence the countries around Venezuela. There have been a few border skirmishes between Venezuela and Columbia. I think Chavez might be going for the power broker position for South America.

I wonder how the neighbors feel about this down there.

Im pretty positive Chavez is going for "power broker" and would use any means to achieve it.. the risks be damned
I completely agree with you there!
Iran is on a holy mission more than a political one IMO.. then again their politics are their religion... I doubt they care who they put at risk anyway.. themselves included. IMO the ONLY way it could ever be a viable threat is in the event that a larger power declared war on the US or something of that nature and Iran/Chavez took the opportunity when it presented itself. That would include disabling our defenses ( patriots) and interceptor subs with EMP or controlled infiltration of some sort.

Ive been feeling jerky lately.. and want to take the "immunization" road sometimes. Just nuke the annoyances for cripes sake and get our economy under control without the BS.
Chavez, amadenijad/mullahs and Kim in NK are like a bad case of herpes... they havent figured out no one cares about them no matter the noise their clanging little plastic swords make... I would just like the annoying noise to cease.
One thing I wonder sometimes : If all 3 were completely wiped off of the face of the earth including every citizen in each of the countries these loons are in control of ( yeah, Im in a rotten mood today) would it really make any difference one way or the other to the world? world economy? would anyone really give a flip? Would it just be a little more quiet for once?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
good story

this ought to get the chess pieces moving around
quite nimbly.

Anybody remember Cuba ???

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Someone else commented about it a few posts up. This will bring new scrutiny on Irans possible WMD programs. If they develop a nuclear device that can fit onto one of their missiles. it would change the game thats for sure.

With missiles down south, it places the Iranian wmd program into a tighter box than before. It will also most likely lend support for the Missile Defense Shield.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Wait...a country has sold and setup weapons in another country?

I was hoping it would sound more shocking this way...

Where is the problem with this?

I see two sovereign nations acting like...well...two sovereign nations.

They both have the right to make, sell, buy, and install non nuclear weapons. They are exercising that right.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
From a devils advocate position, Iran has been threatened and this move makes sense for them. You attack us and we can attack you!

But they (the Iranians) and their allies have a broader plan to use proxies to attack the USA combined with a broader plan to destroy the US economically.

"Terrorists" and cyber terrorists will be blamed, and retaliation will be difficult, especially when these groups publicly claim responsibility.

What is the US going to do?

Drop more bombs in Afghanistan?

Invade the tribal regions of Pakistan to go after the Al Qaeda boogiemans?

You made this monster, and now it WILL be used against you, in a major way!

Good luck America.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am not saying what Iran is doing is wrong. I just was curious how the reaction might go from various countries. Iran can do what they want with whatever country they want.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join