It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Vandals have hacked at the heart of Christianity': 2,000-year-old Holy Thorn Tree of Glastonbury

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

hi - i do actually join you in decrying the vandalism

i have never visited the " holy tree " - becaus its a religious tourist atraction - but i spend a lot of time climbing and walking the peaks and fells of the UK

and must confess that the " lonley trees " i encouter have a special place in my heart - beyond thier obvious value as navigation markers

i will [ weather permitting ] often sit with them - just contemplating what they have " seen "

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I personally find the news very sad

tho as expected in todays age, as it was in Cromwells time

the responsible should be ashamed..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by flymetothemoon

how do you know how old the tree destroyed by cromwells men was ?

Christian legend dictates that Jesus's great uncle, Joseph of Arimathea (pictured below) came to Britain after the crucifixion 2,000 years ago bearing the Holy Grail - the cup used by Christ at the Last Supper.
He visited Glastonbury and thrust his staff into Wearyall Hill, just below the Tor, planting a seed for the original thorn tree.

Roundheads felled the tree during the English Civil War, when forces led by Oliver Cromwell (pictured) waged a vicious battle against the Crown.
However, locals salvaged the roots of the original tree, hiding it in secret locations around Glastonbury.

It was then replanted on the hill in 1951. Other cuttings were also grown and placed around the town - including its famous Glastonbury Abbey

That is a good question. Depends on your belief in legends or if any chance of getting facts.
So what do you think ?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

You're just trying to derail the thread with your version of personal attacks. My previous posts have nothing to do with the fact that a tree is not the heart of Christianity. The only tree that sits in the heart of Christianity is the one they made the cross out of. You should get down off of yours, honey, because someone needs the wood.

And for the record (and again..I constantly have to go over this again and again) I do not have a problem with Christianity as a faith system. I am a staunch supporter of the freedom of religion. I do have a MAJOR problem with evangelical nondenominational fundamentalists attempting to tear down the separation of church and state and working to impose a dominionist theocratic dictatorship on an otherwise free people.

Obviously, if you really believe the lies which have been told about this tree, which was just another lie to convince the Cornish to convert to cathollicism. The catholics told a lot of lies to my people which led to multiple war of conquest and resulted in the extinction of the Cornish. Dwi Cymraeg , a 'r Saesneg gostega golyga ni fel yn wysg ei gefn boblogi. It wasn't until the 20th century that we were even allowed to speak our own language publicly so don't try and convince me that you evangelicals are an oppressed people.

Someone chopped down a 60 year old tree. The only people getting in a tizzy over it are SOME of the catholics and anglicans and American-style limitationist evangelicals ("Bible believing" it means whatever I say it means types) and new-age evangelicals (gnostic, gospel of Thomas, Keys of Enoch I found the hidden secrets types). Even the rest of Chistendom is staying out of this because they know it's a lie too. You can't keep a cutting from a tree, or even the seed of a Hawthorn alive for as long as has been claimed with this tree. It was planted in 1951 and someone DESIGNATED it to be a cutting from that tree. So go right on ahead and try and derail this thread with paltry personal attacks, but it won't get you too far with me.

Feel free to express your religion in public. But if you try and weasel your way into government or military and impose your twisted values on others who do not accept them then we will have big problems.

ETA: Oh and by the way...I'm not a "frustrated person," but I do get frustrated with brazenly arrogant stupidity, such as that which believes the heart of a religion lies 2000 miles and 1000 years away from its origin point, or that believes the destruction of a 60 year old tree historically equates to burning down a 1000 year old edifice. IT's like saying Disneyland has the best Victorian houses.
edit on 10-12-2010 by Control because: ETA statement

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Control

You're just trying to derail the thread with your version of personal attacks.

No personal attack here..simply observstions.

My previous posts have nothing to do with the fact that a tree is not the heart of Christianity. The only tree that sits in the heart of Christianity is the one they made the cross out of. You should get down off of yours, honey, because someone needs the wood.

Im an atheist "Honey", I'll leave the wood for the god bothers who like to try and tell everyone christianitys "super".

And for the record (and again..I constantly have to go over this again and again) I do not have a problem with Christianity as a faith system.

I think you do...or why would you have to defend yourself (over and over again)

I am a staunch supporter of the freedom of religion. I do have a MAJOR problem with evangelical nondenominational fundamentalists attempting to tear down the separation of church and state and working to impose a dominionist theocratic dictatorship on an otherwise free people.

And you dont have religous problems Mrs Koresh.

Obviously, if you really believe the lies which have been told about this tree, which was just another lie to convince the Cornish to convert to cathollicism. The catholics told a lot of lies to my people which led to multiple war of conquest and resulted in the extinction of the Cornish. Dwi Cymraeg , a 'r Saesneg gostega golyga ni fel yn wysg ei gefn boblogi. It wasn't until the 20th century that we were even allowed to speak our own language publicly so don't try and convince me that you evangelicals are an oppressed people
No evangelicals here "honey", i dont believe, i told you!!. And as for Cornish, nah, your as USA as they come. Your English is'nt English. I think you just like reading history books.

The only people getting in a tizzy over it are SOME of the catholics and anglicans and American-style limitationist evangelicals ("Bible believing" it means whatever I say it means types) and new-age evangelicals (gnostic, gospel of Thomas, Keys of Enoch I found the hidden secrets types). Even the rest of Chistendom is staying out of this because they know it's a lie too.

Your a Jehovahs witness, right??

Feel free to express your religion in public.

I have neither religion nor faith, both lead ultimately to hate !!

Oh and by the way...I'm not a "frustrated person," but I do get frustrated with brazenly arrogant stupidity, such as that which believes the heart of a religion lies 2000 miles and 1000 years away from its origin point

Well the spread of christianity, islam, buhdism etc etc has led to the heart of all faiths being distanced from its point of origin, dont you think?
edit on 11-12-2010 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

it hasn't been there nearly 2 millenia, it's a replacement tree planted in 1951 and replaced again in 52, the original was chopped down during the civil war, (english), still, out of order to attack a tree though.

edit note to self, read entire thread before posting as i see control has already mentioned the age,

edit on 11-12-2010 by wildcamper because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join