It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lee says reunification of two Koreas drawing near

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Lee says reunification of two Koreas drawing near

english.yonhapnews.co.kr

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak expressed hope Thursday for an early reunification of the two Koreas, saying ordinary people in North Korea should enjoy the benefits of economic prosperity just as southerners.

"I feel that reunification is drawing near," Lee said at a meeting with a group of Korean residents in Malaysia shortly after his arrival in Kuala Lumpur. "We should prepare for reunification on the basis of bigger economic power."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
So I've already posted this on the NKorea news thread...but I'm posting this here too since it's important...

So reunification uh? Really? All experts say that peaceful reunification is off the table for a while... even dead. So what are you talking about?

Forceful reunification? False-flag? North Korea's regime collapse?

We shall see. Because no way in hell either side accept peaceful reunification.

One or the other have to be forced in by the other side.

But hopefully this is just kind words of hope.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The only way I see that happening is by annexation.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
The only way I see that happening is by annexation.

The only way I see that happening is by annihalation.

/fixed.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

You say potato, I say potahto

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Korea is not a country for old men, there will be blood

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Unless China put it on the table for N. Korea. China just sent a high level offical to meet with Kim Jong Il in N. Korea. Its possible, since the cable leaks exposed the Chinese thought process, that China may have done the we can no longer support you economically, materially, militarily etc etc.

The North is a failed state...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

If they told Kim that, I would expect the nukes to fly. That madman will not give up his power easily.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Except China have an alliance treaty with NKorea. It was passed in 1961. From ROK Defense White Paper 1995-1996 :

p.43
China's military policy toward the Korean peninsula is geared toward stability and tension reduction, while it maintains a formal alliance with North Korea symbolized by the 1961 Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation, and Mutual Assistance.

Not to mention hours after the joint NK-China declaration of consensus, North Korea said this :
North Korea Claims Waters Around Shelled Island

North Korea state media on Thursday issued a statement that claimed possession of all waters around South Korea-controlled Yeonpyeong Island, clarifying for the first time that its Nov. 23 attack of the island was motivated by a different view of the inter-Korean maritime boundary in the Yellow Sea than is widely held.

Basically saying it's their territory. Hours after China-NKorea talked to each other.

So either China is backing them up... or China doesn't control them at all... in both cases it's bad.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

If they told Kim that, I would expect the nukes to fly. That madman will not give up his power easily.

Agree. My opinion, China and South Korea have something to lose if they go to the war, but North Korea have nothing to lose. Therefore NK is a danger country toward to everyone.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This guy lee is either smoking something or he has some serious tricks up his sleeve...this is laughable there is no way that this will happen because of economic benefits...the north koreans have no money to buy anything from south korea....this is the oddest news I've seen on here in a while....it makes no sense...
edit on 9-12-2010 by chrismarco because: typo

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Countries can change. Just look at how much China advanced once they abandoned the cultural revolution and embraced capitalism. I think we should offer a trade. Taiwan for North Korea. Yes North Korea is a basket case and Taiwan is an economic miracle, but there would be a lot of advantages.

North Korea could stop producing nuclear arms and arming terrorists with bombs and missiles. China could stop their huge military buildup expressly for the purpose of retaking Taiwan, and maybe we could get some long term stability in the region.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

I could not disagree more. Condemn the people of Taiwan to hell in order to free the people of North Korea? Why on earth would you do that to the Taiwanese?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by chrismarco

Countries can change. Just look at how much China advanced once they abandoned the cultural revolution and embraced capitalism. I think we should offer a trade. Taiwan for North Korea. Yes North Korea is a basket case and Taiwan is an economic miracle, but there would be a lot of advantages.

North Korea could stop producing nuclear arms and arming terrorists with bombs and missiles. China could stop their huge military buildup expressly for the purpose of retaking Taiwan, and maybe we could get some long term stability in the region.

FWD and CC: this to Obama.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
S. Korea expresses hopes re-unification can occur; hopes it happens sooner than expected.
N. Korea takes exception to this glimmer of hope, tosses a tantrum and slips an attack in.
Most major world powers sympathize with S. Korea; takes their side.
China backs away from N.Korea in order to maintain its position in the world player stage; offers to support a unified Korea politically, economically and militarily rendering US influence moot and meaningless.
Leaks emerge that China was in secret talks with S.Korea and orchestrated the whole thing; China moves up a peg or two since it's accomplished what the US and S.Korea couldn't do on their own.

Theorizing can be fun.

edit on 12/9/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I could not disagree more. Condemn the people of Taiwan to hell in order to free the people of North Korea? Why on earth would you do that to the Taiwanese?

You make an excellent point, and it is the chief obstacle in any such plan. However China has successfully infiltrated Taiwan and there is a large undercurrent there that actually wants unification. Thus it would have to be done in a way that is acceptable to the Taiwanese people. Perhaps some kind of partial autonomy arrangement, similar to that enjoyed by Hong Kong. It would be nice to try to defuse the military tensions currently based on the greed, pride and intransigence of our current leadership.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Would be good to see korea reunited.. Then to see the u.s get out of asia..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

If the US were not in Asia, then all of Asia would be under oppressive autocratic governments. Governments, I might remind you, that have been responsible for some of the most horrific genocidal crimes in human history. It is the Asian do-gooders and warlords that are the most to be feared. They include such lovely regimes as Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Imperial Japan, Kim Jong Il etc. etc. Between them they've slaughtered over 100 million souls. Only Stalin can approach the magnitude of these atrocities.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by Expat888

If the US were not in Asia, then all of Asia would be under oppressive autocratic governments. Governments, I might remind you, that have been responsible for some of the most horrific genocidal crimes in human history. It is the Asian do-gooders and warlords that are the most to be feared. They include such lovely regimes as Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Imperial Japan, Kim Jong Il etc. etc. Between them they've slaughtered over 100 million souls. Only Stalin can approach the magnitude of these atrocities.

And how many did the u.s kill during the korean war.. vietnam war.. alot of those warlords were armed with american weapons.. People are still dying and being maimed today by american ordinance that was dropped 40 plus years ago.. And funny people in china, vietnam and other asian countries today have more freedom than you do there in amerika.. Go home your neither wanted nor needed in asia..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I disagree with your statement. South Korea was under a military dictatorship from 1961 until the late '80s. This was while the US was in South Korea.

ETA: Pol Pot's regime was backed by the US, in its fight against the Cambodian government. The US being in Asia is not contributing to peace, especially when it supports dictators.
edit on 9-12-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join