It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12/9/2010- Massive Internet Slowdown?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey folks.

I don't know if anybody else has been having major problems with their internet connections today or yesterday, but I have noticed a considerable slowdown of all of my internet services in the past 12 hours. I've called a few friends around the state (NY) and they are all noticing the same things. I have DSL service, so I understand that it isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it should also not take an hour and a half for a 5MB download. My friends (and most of the rest of my family) have RoadRunner or some type of cable internet service, and they are also seeing greatly reduced speeds. With all of the DOS attacks on various companies due to Wikileaks, I'm wondering if this is just an isolated thing (more people on during peak hours and off peak hours), or if it has something to do with that. I've been pinging my local ISP server for hours now and I'm getting a latency of anywhere from 500ms to over 1800ms. This is highly unusual, as the server station is right down the street from me. I called them and they wouldn't tell me either way what was going on. My friends and family that use RoadRunner/Cable internet are also noticing high latency spikes.

So what's up? Anybody else having these issues?

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

I have had issues today. I thought it was just my computer but it never runs this slow to load anything. It's been driving me nuts all morning and afternoon. Again I don't think too much of it since I have had problems forever with my computer but today it as been most annoying.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I haven't noticed anything myself. However, it wouldn't be surprising if the government did enforce both a bandwidth restriction and a download limit in the not so distant future. Would be interesting to see how they'd try and spin that in a positive light!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yes, the internet has been a bit slower since the wikileaks incident started. Webpages have been loading slower for me and I've even noticed some strange glitches on the webpages. Something is definitely going on. I think the government is monitoring the entire network right now and affecting it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
All's well in England
2nd

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
now that you mention it...yeah all my web pages are loading slower...sometimes they get timed out

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Had an email not go through - said mailbox is full - when I know quite well that the recipient's mailbox is not. Haven't had trouble loading web pages, but the mail denial was unusual.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I havent, but my family was having trouble getting a connection to the internet earlier today.The thought did cross my mind about a possible internet shut down though.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I've noticed problems on Amazon, timing out etc. the last few days, figured it was just super busy with holiday shoppers.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The very normally stable website vibration-training-advice.com was down for about 7 hrs, just coming up with an overload message.

I also noticed on my flatmates computer it was taking minutes to load a simple page.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
All slow connections using microsoft?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

I've noticed problems on Amazon, timing out etc. the last few days, figured it was just super busy with holiday shoppers.

Well, don't forget the denial of service attacks being wages against it.

But as silly as it sounds, I have experienced intermittent delays of pages lately too??
And it did seem to start about three days ago... Pages not loading and having to refresh to get it going.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Me too. I wonder, would surveillance slow my pc down?

second

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I am in South America and every thing has been normal today. My Skype seems to be working better than normal. Maybe it is something in the US and Europe.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Interesting...so this isn't just isolated to my own computer. I'm using a Mac with Firefox as a browser. When I hit reply to this message it took the page over a minute to load to the form. Is it safe to assume that most of you are using cable internet, or are some of you still in the dark ages with me (having DSL)? I'm going to keep trying ping requests for the rest of the day. The last two I did less than 20 minutes ago came back as 1100ms latency and 2100ms latency, which is absolutely outrageous. 2100ms is the largest spike I've observed since 0330 today. If anybody else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Yes, me and a friend noticed this, but it's been for about 3 weeks in my area(WV) when we first noticed it. It seems like it's actually gotten better over time in my area, atleast for me, haven't talked to him about it since.

We both have different ISP's also. One dsl and the other cable and he brought it up out of the blue when trying to log on to the web on my PC about 3 wks ago and it was real slow. He said his was the same way and didn't think it had nothing to do with his pc or isp. I had the same thoughts before he even brought it up. It had been going on for less than a week prior before we even talked about it. It was just before Thanksgiving to be exact.

We've both owned computers and been on the web long enough to tell the difference between an isp, pc or main internet server problem. I'm almost positive something has been up server side of the main internet.

It's intresting that you're(TC) on the east coast of the US also.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by curious_soul

So you're on the East Coast too. Any other East Coasters that have already replied? How about West Coasters? Any problems out your way. I'm very interested in this whole thing. It's probably just related to online Christmas shopping, but with the whole Wikileaks thing and all the DOS attacks, I'm being, at the very least, curious about what is going on.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
your computer has a virus on it -- as in hackers are using your computer to DOS in their botnet.
edit on 9-12-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I only have a dial-up connection anyway that is always slow, but I have not noticed it being any slower then usual and I am on the Internet just about all day, every day.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I am actually in WV too. I have Firefox and Comcast if that is of any importance. Anyway, I have not noticed it today so. ..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join