It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather briefly delays 'Bomb Factory' house burn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Weather briefly delays 'Bomb Factory' house burn

www.signonsandiego.com

Officials have pushed back the burn time for the North County home where a large amount of explosives were found because of weather conditions.

Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said an inversion layer will make it necessary to delay igniting the house by about one hour, pushing the start time to between 10 and 11 a.m.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/9/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: title to same as source

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Big boom, explosives floor to ceiling in what looks like a upper scale home. To unsafe to remove they say, so their setting it on fire. Should happen around 11:00 PC time. Should be interesting there's homes all around it. They did build a 16 ft blast wall around the house. 4th of July in December I'm thinking.

www.signonsandiego.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Officials decided to burn down the house because the home was full of clutter and had highly volatile residue on the floor that they feared could easily cause an explosion.

So it was messy and dusty? Good reason to destroy a 500k+ house?
A man shot his wife and himself near hear the other day.
20 police cars,2 fire trucks (one with ladder),1 ambulance,2 helicopters,swat team.

edit on 9-12-2010 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
www.kcra.com...

Link to live video since my thread was closed

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
How is this thread all of a sudden the main one??

Ridiculous... having to jump from thread to thread like a dog through hoop....

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Somehow the link broke methinks...great find..would love to see it.
I dont uderstand the idea of burning explosives that are compacted inside live grenades and such, as they will explode,
The fools are surely gonna get some sympathetic detnations when they blow too....
It is possible for the whole thing to go up after the heat builds....sheeesh!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FORMe2p00p0n
How is this thread all of a sudden the main one??

Ridiculous... having to jump from thread to thread like a dog through hoop....
I thought this thread must be the original, but it's not, it's 3 days later! I don't understand it.

There were a few "pops" where some explosives ignited but it only resulted in some little puffs of flame and some popping sounds. It looks like it was successful.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Its over, any explosives would have gone by now from the heat.

Now we are just seeing the media have a orgasm.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yeah, not to spectacular but that's a good thing.

About my post, I didn't know there was another thread on it, this site is so fragmented by overlapping catagories and topics it's tough to keep track sometimes on where to find certain topics and what proper catagories to post topics in. I'm kinda starting to learn my way around, still a newbie here.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
How to you set fire to an ammo dump and not have explosions? Now I am starting to wonder what was really in that house when it burned. Did they move the explosive after all and just burn an empty house? Now something about this just does not add up.

I just noticed I am using that phrase a lot lately. Each day more and more things just do not add up.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
About my post, I didn't know there was another thread on it
No worries on your end mate, we've all searched for a topic before we posted and found out there was a thread that didn't show up in the search. Keeping the search terms to a minimum helps. Never enter the whole title of the article or if you do, be sure that's not the only search because you'll miss a lot that way. In this case I'd probably search something like [CA house explosives].

We were more puzzled by the moderator action to make the followup thread the original, as usually the original thread is the original. Don't give it another thought, and welcome to ATS.

Originally posted by fixer1967
How to you set fire to an ammo dump and not have explosions?
I was pretty impressed with the explanations the newscasters gave, they were amazingly credible in explaining that.

They said the pops we saw were likely hand grenades exploding (or other ammo) they were about the right size explosions for that, so that part adds up.

Regarding the other explosives, they stated that the explosives were in open, leaking, and non-confined containers. Therefore they didn't expect it to do much more than heat up and burn, which is apparently what happened. If they had been in sealed containers and they built up pressure and exploded then there could have been some big explosions. that part sort of adds up though I'm not sure how they knew nothing was sealed. They might have gone through the house and unsealed everything they found before the burning.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I was watching the clip from MSNBC that they posted on my Xbox, and the reporters said that the guy who is in question tried to have this burning postponed. His reason was that there was evidence inside the house that would exonerate him. I wonder what could excuse all the explosives other than him working officially with and agency.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Soooo.... a box full of granades & a bunch of highly volitile chemicals produced some pops and crackles???? Remind me not to use any of that bogus stuff on my next bonfire ; )

This looked like every other house fire to me.... I think the official claims were bogus.... He was probably just a part-time baker (part time bank-robber) and the grenades were actually cupcakes and all those volitile chemicals.... flour, sugar and sprinkles......

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I just got though talking to a man I know that was a bomb tech in Desert Storm and now works for a fire dept. If any one should know he would. He tells me the video shows very little. The only thing you can hear is some small arms ammo cooking off. I asked about the chemicals just being poured out on the floor and he says there would be a bright flash and the windows would blow out from the heat and pressure wave. Not much of a blast but you would know something when up. The fire burns too slow for a pile of chemicals to being poured out all over the place. He say none of the videos that he has seen show a grenade going off. He tells me that cans of hair spray and WD-40 and such in a house fire create much bigger blast than any thing he has yet seen.

A lot of people out there know someone like my friend so you ask them what they think.

I think that I would not be surprised that in the near future there will be a blast somewhere and some one will say the chemical residue from it matches the bomb factory house so they can pin it on him. And the chemical residue may in fact match because the feds took the stuff out of the house before they burned it. Maybe the feds set him up like they did that other man at the tree lighting. The feds burned up the house as a cover up.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

He say none of the videos that he has seen show a grenade going off.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

The fire was pretty hot by the time I saw the small explosions, so that kind of heat can weaken the metal a hand grenade is made of, such that if it finally ignites, the explosive force should be reduced compared to a cold grenade where the metal is much stronger and can create a much larger explosion.

Regarding the other chemicals, I'm not sure why we didn't see more...maybe they overstated the amount of explosives in the house.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Arbitrageur

Do you have a link for the video you seen? I will have to ask him about the cook-off temp of a grenade.

I just got off the phone and found out that TNT melts at 80*C or 176*F so it can be melted and cased. It explodes when heated to 240*C or 464*F. He tells me that at grenade going off in a fire would not be any different than one going off by having the pin pulled. He wants to see that video you seen. Give me a link if it is still around. Videos seem to have a very bad habit of being pulled of the net here lately.
edit on 12/11/2010 by fixer1967 because: Had to make a phone call for more info.

edit on 12/11/2010 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Do you have a link for the video you seen?
I watched it live on TV. but here's a video, look at the explosion at about 8:35, that looks about hand grenade sized to me. Another one at 8:55 looks a little smaller but you can't see it as well.

This video isn't as good as the one I saw live.

He tells me that at grenade going off in a fire would not be any different than one going off by having the pin pulled.
How is he accounting for the reduction in physical properties of the hand grenade casing at elevated temperature? The metal loses strength in fire just like the metal did in the WTC collapse. If metal didn't lose strength when it got hot, the WTC might still be standing, right?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Neither one of these was a grenade. First off the World Trade center 1800 to 2000*F. TNT explodes at 464*F. Second thing it is true metal gets weak as it heats up but parts of your car heat to and above 464*F and it does not fall apart. Most house cooks stoves get to and above 464*F. Have you ever burned trash? These flares you pointed at at 8:35 and 8:55 look most like a spray can ripping than any thing else. And last but not least I am more likely to believe him and he has burned move explosives, set off more explosives and defused more IEDs most people can every dream of. I have said my peace.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You heard the man...I tend to agree wholeheartedly...
Having some what less experience but nevertheless....having some experience after all,
The grenade casing wwould loose nothing of its stength at those temps Wood chemical fire...
The grenade would cook off with an boom as big as if it were set off with the primer.
There could not have been any sealed containers or the explosions wqould have been much more satisfactory....
A propane tank, now, thats more fun....

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Neither one of these was a grenade. First off the World Trade center 1800 to 2000*F.
They said this fire was about 1800 degrees, hotter than a normal house fire because they cut holes in the roof to accelerate the airflow, and they wouldn't go into detail about accelerants they might have used.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join