It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks / Assange gloats about being responsible for 1300 dead?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Tim Blair
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 at 11:45am

I found this article while going through Drew Curtis' Fark.com. I understand that the source may be questionable but I have to know the truth of it. Who is Peter Risdon, and is Tim Blair a reputable journalist? Can someone confirm or debunk the article below from the Daily telegraph?

blogs.news.com.au...
The
Daily telegraph

A certain secretive fellow, currently in custody, attempts to conceal his record:

Julian Assange had a blog. But he deleted it.

Thanks to Peter Risdon, however, we can take a look.

UPDATE. Assange in August:

1,300 people were eventually killed [in Kenya], and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak.

Assange today:

WikiLeaks has a four-year publishing history. During that time we have changed whole governments, but not a single person, as far as anyone is aware, has been harmed.
edit on 9-12-2010 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2010 by palg1 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Nothing from IQ.org archives in August or any other month about 1300 deads. NOTHING... from his blog but...

What I found was the context though, trough: TheGuardian

Here's the rest of it:

In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak," says Assange. It's a chilling statistic, but then he states:"On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."

The problem when corruption is revealed is that it is too easy to blame the whistleblowers for bringing a crooked system down. Chaos follows, but then, order come out of it stronger if something has been learned.

edit on 9/12/10 by Vio1ion because: Details, always details, never enough details.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It's an interesting blog though...a good read just for general philosophizing, regardless of its actual provenance.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have also done a search and have come up empty. Still, leaves you wondering as it has an air or plausibility!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Put this in the HOAX forum. Just a bad bit of character assassination on those who hate Wikileaks.

Read through the Assange blog pieces, NOTHING in there about him "gloating" over 1,300 dead (or any deaths).

Julian Assange’s ’06 Conspiracy Essays, Personal Blog (IQ.org) at Internet Archive…

Assange's blog was pretty hum-drum, mostly pastiched together from quotes and writings by others.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I include the quotes from Assange below from the guardian.co.uk / The Observer, Sunday 1 August 2010

"Julian Assange, monk of the online age who thrives on intellectual battle"

"When I try to question him about the morality of what he's done, if he worries about unleashing something that he can't control, that no one can control, he tells me the story of the Kenyan 2007 elections when a WikiLeak document "swung the election".

The leak exposed massive corruption by Daniel Arap Moi, and the Kenyan people sat up and took notice. In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak," says Assange. It's a chilling statistic, but then he states: "On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I think you'll find that this is part of the PTB disinfo campaign. The story is everywhere and very hard to track down but here's the reference I think

When I try to question him about the morality of what he's done, if he worries about unleashing something that he can't control, that no one can control, he tells me the story of the Kenyan 2007 elections when a WikiLeak document "swung the election". The leak exposed massive corruption by Daniel Arap Moi, and the Kenyan people sat up and took notice. In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak," says Assange. It's a chilling statistic, but then he states: "On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."

It's from the Guardian and gives a bit more perspective. Be cool if we could actually trust our instincts for once and go with one of the good guys.
Guardian Report

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Sorry to repeat but you posted a minute before me.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Thoriumisbest

Great minds......

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Thanks for pinpointing where that came from.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Originally posted by palg1

Just goes to show how someone can be totally misrepresented by being carelessly or deliberately quoted out of context.

edit on 9-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I agree, it's character assassination pure and simple. It's a disinfo war to try to make Assange look like the enemy in the eyes of the public. It surprises me that the same people who complain about how governments hide incriminating information from the public are now attacking Assange for doing just that. How many people have died from secrets kept from the public due to 9/11 and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Come on people, the information being leaked isn't causing people to die. You're believing exactly what the government wants you to believe.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Why would the OP even make this thread?

Assange gloats about being responsible for 1300 dead?

That is just plain and simple a lie, nothing else.

Shame on you OP!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Just goes to show how someone can be totally misrepresented by being carelessly or deliberately quoted out of context.

Show me the proof that he was quoted out of context. Did he not say that his leaks are responsible for the deaths and displacements? He actually tries to justify it by saying that other causes of death in that country out-way his leak. Like that changes the fact that people have died because of the information HE shared. Be it not for that, the dead would most likely still be with us and several refuge camps would not have needed to be established.

Either way, just like the leaked info he spreads, he did say it. The context, like the leaked info, can be easily translated anyway the reader wishes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander maybe.....

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen

Shame on you OP!

Prove it! Or does the fact that it is Assange mean that denials of the stories about him do not require the same proof as the accusations.

Note that from the beginning of this tread I have asked ATSers to prove or disprove this story. As of right now I see nothing but anchored positions. No real arguments.

edit on 9-12-2010 by palg1 because: Should I be ashamed for asking questions now?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think if you come across explosive information... information that says many people are dying and continue to die because of A, B & C, you have two choices

You either reveal the info, allowing those affected to stop A, B, & C and the ongoing misery and death... though you run the risk of some of those doing the 'stopping' getting injured or killed.

You keep quiet, and by your silence allow the status quo to continue in perpetuity... along with the misery and death.

I would say that revealing the truth is the better choice... To blame the revealer of truth for the results created by those stopping A,B & C is disingenuous at best.

Those responsible for the deaths in BOTH circumstances are A, B & C

In fact, you could argue that by NOT revealing the truth you actually become complicit in the misery and death generated by A,B & C

Just my opinion, of course

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Just to put things into perspective here.

How many people do you suppose the World Governments who are after Julian have been responsible for killing?

Could that top 1,000,000?

Could this be one excuse for shutting the leaks down?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen

Shame on you OP!

Prove it! Or does the fact that it is Assange mean that denials of the stories about him do not require the same proof as the accusations.

Note that from the beginning of this tread I have asked ATSers to prove or disprove this story. As of right now I see nothing but anchored positions. No real arguments.

edit on 9-12-2010 by palg1 because: Should I be ashamed for asking questions now?

This is the first time I have ever been pushed to use this sentence on ATS....

You bleeding idiot!

Have you read your HEADLINE???

The quote have been posted several times, can you point to the GLOATING bit please?

Jeez Louizzzzze

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
to the OP

it seems there are contradicting stories here.

WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange continued Friday to defend the website's posting of confidential U.S. documents, saying that no one in its four-year publishing history has been harmed as a result of material it put online.

"During that time there has been no credible allegation, even by (organizations) like the Pentagon, that even a single person has come to harm as a result of our activities," Assange said in written answers to readers' questions posted on the website of the British newspaper The Guardian.

articles.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Ah, you poor ignorant fool.

You think I don't believe that the leaks didn't cost human lives?

It did. But you are proposing that the bloggers lie about him GLOATING is correct, it's not.

It is a lie!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join