It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible for a person to hibernate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I was just wondering this. If SHTF I might try it to conserve food and energy. I think one would have to get into a very meditative state for this to happen. I know the less one moves the less energy is needed. I figure as long as I could keep warm or cool and had water, I could live a while without food. I know there are some monks that are said to live years without food. Do you think this is possible?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
We are mammals check our relatives, yes, I believe as well with your thoughts of the monks, they can raise body temp by will and live on very little with meditating all day like how bears hibernate but bears sleep, I like that idea better....

en.wikipedia.org...

After reading that we might have to grow our hair to aide in this state, I recall another thread about hair growth recently lets see if they are connected?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Nobody lives for years without food, nor can humans hibernate.
We may be able to conserve energy and live on less, but that's about it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

what about that indian man who claims to have gone 70 years without food or drink?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by platipus

And you believe this?
I doubt he went seven days!
Silly stuff and nonsense.
You are better than this surely?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
People can and do - read this report
chestofbooks.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
well I don't know if you'd call it hibernate as in the definition but I do call what I have done in the past as "hibernation" but even more so.."reboot".

Usually at least once a year and not at any specific time, I get very tired like a weird kind of tired not just normally being tired. I will go to sleep feeling very peaceful but tired and when I wake up, I've been asleep for 3 days. It's extremely weird and freaks me out when it happens although it hasn't happened in a year or two. This is why I call it "reboot" and when I awaken it sure feels like I've been asleep all winter and feel great for a long time afterwards.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by margaretr

Well I read the link, and no, people can't hibernate, or indeed live without food.
Why don't you go and re-read it. Let's see...move around less, conserve energy, eat less.
I already said that, so your point is.....?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

Well whatever it is, it isn't hibernating.
Didn't you go to the loo!
Anyway three days does not a hibernation make!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
the source didn't call it hibernation. it said, "quasi-hibernation". Either way, I think it's cool.
It would be great if everyone living in cold weather had time to do this for themselves.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon
reply to post by platipus

And you believe this?
I doubt he went seven days!
Silly stuff and nonsense.
You are better than this surely?

Don't assume. There are people who can access energy through means other than food and they've been examined under close observation. They don't need to eat. It's possible, and does occur, but it's very unusual and very rare. Don't be so ignorant to assume you already know everything.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You'd be surprised what the human mind is capable of regarding self-preservation.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Not true hibernation, but definitely conserve energy via epigenetic changes that lower metabolism. There's a known survival mechanism that people switch into when calories drop below a certain threshold for sustained periods of time. These changes make us live longer under the extreme circumstances, and increase our ability to whether storms, so that once it's over with, we can continue to propagate the species. The brain consumes 20% of our glucose, and some people have their minds set up very efficiently. I saw a study that did eeg reading of various personality types, and they saw that the INTP personality was the most efficient at processing information. Maybe a truly efficient, fit being could survive longer than most people care to acknowledge, but I doubt one could stay alive for extended periods of time off of body fat alone like some other animals can.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Nobody has been examined under close observation, that doesn’t need to eat.
It’s not possible and doesn’t occur it’s you that is ignorant.
And I don’t for one minute assume that I know everything, what makes you assume that?
What is this energy, and how are they accessing it?
Don’t even bother answering…I’ll do it for you…gobbledygook!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

No I wouldn't.
2nd

top topics

join