It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Letter from Anonymous

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
While the people on internet, even on ATS are criticising Anonymous for their actions..Anonymous has finally come out to reach everyone through this open letter. I will quote some important parts of the letter but I still urge you to visit the link and read the complete letter.

Hello World. We are Anonymous. What you do or do not know about us is irrelevant. We have decided to write to you, the media, and all citizens of the free world at large to inform you of the message, our intentions, potential targets, and our ongoing peaceful campaign for freedom.

(skipped)

The message is simple: Freedom of Speech. Anonymous is peacefully campaigning for Freedom of Speech everywhere in all forms. Freedom of Speech for: The Internet, for journalism and journalists, and citizens of the world at large. Regardless of what you think or have to say; Anonymous is campaigning for you.

The recent news of our campaigns has been, at best, misinformed. Anonymous is not always the same group of people. The Constitution of the United States is said to be a living document, because it can be edited, amended; changed at the will of the people to suit the peoples' needs. In that same vein, Anonymous is a living idea. Anonymous is an idea that can be edited, updated, remanded, changed on a whim. We are living consciousness.

We are not a terrorist organization as governments, demagogues, and the media would have you believe. At this time Anonymous is a consciousness focused on campaigning peacefully for Freedom of Speech. We ask the world to support us, not for our sake, but for your own. When governments control freedom they control you. The Internet is the last bastion of freedom in this evolving technical world. The Internet is capable of connecting us all. When we are connected we are strong. When we are strong we have power. When we have power we are able to do the impossible. This is why the government is moving on Wikileaks. This is what they fear. They fear our power when we unite. Do not forget this.

(skipped)

Anonymous' intentions are very clear. We are not vigilantes, regardless of the sentiment of quoting Boondock Saints, we are people on a campaign for freedom. Anonymous' intentions are to change the current way the governments of the world and the people view true Freedom of Speech and The Internet. Anonymous is willing, ready, and able to campaign for the freedom for all. We are campaigning right now as you read the news, watch the television, fight with your significant other, love your children, hate your neighbor, criticize the man or woman next to you. We are campaigning.

The goal is simple: Win the right to keep the Internet free of any control from any entity, corporation, or government. We will do this until our, proverbial, dying breath. We do this not only for our selves, but for the world and its people at large.

(skipped)

Pay attention citizens, governments, and the world. Anonymous' peaceful campaign will focus on any organization, corporation, government, or entity until the Internet is truly free. Anonymous is doing what many successful campaigns have done in the past; a sit-in. It may be hard to comprehend, but a digital sit-in is our most effective method to show that all of us deserve Freedom of Speech and a free Internet. Our methods may appear, on the outside, to be cruel to those the entities that we are campaigning against, but remember by supporting censorship they are denying everyone a basic human right. Any person, corporation, government, or miscellaneous entity that stops supporting censorship and starts promoting Freedom of Speech and a free Internet will become our allies. Anonymous, at this time, wants to persuade our counterparts rather than hurt them. We are campaigning for freedom for everyone, even the opposing side.

Do not fear us. Anonymous' campaign does not intend to harm the individual citizen, any organizations, any websites, or government, that supports true freedom of speech. Anonymous' past is not our present. We are here for all of you; to campaign for all of you. Where others have made this promise and failed; we make this promise and aim to keep it for everyone

The letter also has a link (full size) to Manifesto:

Whether you agree with the methods being used by Anonymous or not, Anonymous is still fighting for the freedom of internet and freedom of speech in real life and internet for everyone. This is the same freedom by which you come to boards like AboveTopSecret to talk about different topics like Political Conspiracies/ Events, 9/11 Conspiracies/ Events etc. and put forth you're views and theories on world wide events. If given a chance the government would very much like to censor these type of discussion too. A prime example is ATS and few other conspiracy board members being named in a letter by ADL presenting it as a threat sometime ago (ADL releases Report Similar to SPLC).

Personally speaking with the recent turn of events I'm glad at least some people are standing up and doing something. I honestly believe that the battle for the freedom of speech and internet has begun. Whether we need to fight with everything we have got if we want it to remain free and open or just sit and pretend as if nothing is happening is a personal choice but remember you will always know deep down when the time demanded you fought or did nothing.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Prince Of Darkness because: Changed url of website

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The site appears down already.

Try this
anonops.blogspot.com...

edit: Sometimes you just need the one line.
edit on 9-12-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
LOL genius hackers [sorry online living consciousness] but can't chose a site to host their letter with bigger bandwidth allowance.... I doubt it's from ANON.

This page is frozen We are sorry, this site is unavailable because it has used up its monthly bandwidth. Please try back another time. If you are the site owner, you can signup for additional bandwidth by logging into your Webs.com account.

edit on 9-12-2010 by yzzyUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
The site appears down already.

Try this
anonops.blogspot.com...

edit: Sometimes you just need the one line.

Here is a image taken from web cache of the page img709.imageshack.us... . Thanks for the link I changed it in OP.

Originally posted by yzzyUK
LOL genius hackers [sorry online living consciousness] but can't chose a site to host their letter with bigger bandwidth allowance.... I doubt it's from ANON.

Appreciate you're criticism which you may have thought to be constructive, hope it helped you to feel better.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Prince Of Darkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You doubt it's from an anonymous person?

What's their name than?

Oh, so they are anonymous? Interesting...

+30 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Yes, Anon is everyone, that's the point. We are all Anon. Anon isn't trying to be an organization, Anon is a collective. We are Anon

Long live Anon and Katz!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
My view is that they are terrorist committing acts of terrorism.

MC,V and PP decided not to be involved with a group that is disseminating stolen secret documents. JA is doing something that is questionable at best and criminal at worst. And these companies don’t want to associated with him. It’s no different than Tide pulling commercials from a television program that has ‘wardrobe malfunctions’. They just don’t want their name and reputation connected with criminal activity.

Now what I think is that the ones behind the DOS attacks don’t realize is they are not as hidden as they think. Yes they used all the mom and pop computers that have been infected with their software but they still leave tracks.

Here’s how I understand it to work.
MC, V and PPs ISPs know the IP addresses of all the computers attacking. Select a few thousand.
Go to the ISPs of those and get a record of all the IPs sending info to the mom and pops. There will be common IP addresses.
Follow the trail backwards. If they used a US server they are caught. If they used off shore servers (most likely) it’s tougher. They are counting on these servers being immune to US requests for information. But will these servers be immune from requests from France? Or even China? At some point the armor will crack just a little. Then the perps (likely US) will be caught.
Even if the penalty is only 6 months, the feds will have thousands of counts. This will mean life in prision.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Prince Of Darkness

Thanks for posting it.

It helps explain where they are coming from. It is about what I expected.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Err.... no... WE are NOT all Anon. At least I'm not. Attacking web sites is not "peaceful campaigning". Many innocent people are being hurt by those attacks. As others here have posted yesterday and today, their livelyhood is being affected by the attacks on Paypal, Mastercard, Visa, etc... Many honest business people cannot recieve payments. Anon's attacks are seriously impacting innocent people. The members of Anon are just punk vigialanties with no regard for the people they claim to be defending. If those people had any sort of conscience they would cease the attacks and find some other, peaceful means to effect change and defend freedom of speach. As it is now, they are just criminals and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

They're just punk hackers.... period.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If what they say are their true intention, then why not support it? Or at least agree with it?

but remember buy supporting censorship they are denying everyone a basic human right. Any person, corporation, government, or miscellaneous entity that stops supporting censorship and starts promoting Freedom of Speech and a free Internet will become our allies. Anonymous, at this time, wants to persuade our counterparts rather than hurt them. We are campaigning for freedom for everyone, even the opposing side.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Actually, most of them are behind a proxy, they won't be able to find them.

The internet is an interesting place, its not as easy as you would think to find someone. IPs can be easily masked, even a 5 year old could do it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Thus the digital internet wars have been formally declared by both sides.
I saw this coming when Homeland Security began to shut down websites.

It will be interesting, the problem is, as in any war there are innocent casualties, as we have seen some regular business getting hurt by this.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

You are entitled to you're views as am I - that the people who are helping censor freedom of speech directly and indirectly - willingly or under political pressure are the real terrorist.

As for the threats of tracking down - I say go ahead and do it, it has never stopped Anonymous before and will never stop it now. When one falls 10 more will emerge, when 1000 falls 10,000 will rise. The fight for freedom will never be given up.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Agreed, and all they are doing, by dealing this damage, is making not only wikileaks the scapegoat for their actions, but also the general public who "surf the net". Being anonymous, by definition, means they could be anyone- this will allow the government to crack down on everyone's internet, and will at least partially vindicate the decision in the eyes of the general, easily manipulated, public. Also, by wikileaks even being loosely associated with them, which obviously the media will imply, whether they actually are or not, it simply presents their public image as a bunch of nerd-terrorists. All-in-all, the further this whole scenario progresses, it seems this whole fiasco is playing perfectly into the hands of the government. It does seem, at least, plausible that this could all be planned.
edit on 9-12-2010 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Makes me feel veeeery thrilled that someone is actually doing something about everything other than just passing comments & opinions.

Dunno what way 'anon' may go, but for now my support is right behind them.

Go Anon, Go! Bring the establishment to its knees where it should be in front of its people.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
reply to post by doom27

Attacking web sites is not "peaceful campaigning".

Censoring freedom of speech and internet is not democratic either as western governments (US/ Sweden etc) like to boast about every now and then.

They're just punk hackers.... period.

Anonymous is loved by few but hated by many...that has not affected Anonymous before nor will it now.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Starred and flagged.

When governments control freedom they control you. The Internet is the last bastion of freedom in this evolving technical world. The Internet is capable of connecting us all. When we are connected we are strong. When we are strong we have power. When we have power we are able to do the impossible. This is why the government is moving on Wikileaks. This is what they fear. They fear our power when we unite. Do not forget this.
Source: A Letter from Anonymous -- anonops.blogspot.com...

I've watched people with a little power climb and how they do it is smear, or discredit the competition. That's a common game plan. I've seen it used a thousand times in the Fortune 500 Company I worked at for 16 years.

The higher up the person the better they are at playing this game.

People at the bottom really don't know the full story and our media is notorious for slanting things.

Information is power. The more information one has the more control one retains over those that are not "in the know".

Read Jim Mar's "Rule by Secrecy" and Dean Koontz's "Dark Rivers of the Heart".

I don't normally read fiction but Dark Rivers of the Heart was a fictional novel that has stayed with me because what they announce on the news is often times not the full straight story.

“Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.” Benjamin Franklin

edit on 9-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: grammar & spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Like a digital Hydra, really hard to stop,
We have seen what groups like 4chan can do as well, I am sure they have some ANON people in their ranks.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
No, they are not a terrorist organization or evil
They warm my heart

As for an internet protest, what have done is peaceful. They have not completely or permanently disabled sites, they stole no information, they didn't even disable mc or visa transactions, they blocked access to the corporate pages. Woohoo. While I understand some business owners on ats had issues with getting paid by paypal, I'm sure you'll receive your money today.

Wikileaks protests aside (which I do support), what these companies did was huge. If you don't agree/support wikileaks. Support yourselves. The credit card companies told their customers that they do not have to honor your transactions, they gave themselves the power to tell you what you can not purchase (donations to wiki).

You have to ask yourself, what else will they decide you need? What else is not in you best interests?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people. ~John F. Kennedy
I think this quote says it all, the US gov is running scared of what will be thought of them and because it is out of their control stamp their feet like a petulent child,they don't want to be transparent because their gov is power hungry,little by little our freedoms have been eroded over the years. Its not terrorism, its people making a stand in the only way they know how,terrorism is designed to make people afraid well the only ones afraid are the people whos dirty secrets have been exposed on the world stage. I have seen the world change since I was born in 1965 and not for the good of the people who live here. We should be able to trust our elected bodies whomever they may be and they should work for the people they govern, but they treat the populace as children and think they know what is best for us. Their agenda has got darker and darker over the years and now they only work for themselves and see the rest of us as some kind of irritation. So j.a and anominous are right in what they are doing.Life for all of us is not going to be good anytime soon. Freedom whats that,oh I heard of it once but someone in a suit said it was a bad idea and squashed it like a bug.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join