It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zero tolerance policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I will relay a story to you all. This didn't happen to a friend of a friend, or my cousins boyfriend's sister, it happened to my family. My son is in high school. He is a good kid, no trouble at school, underachiever with grades, but always seems to get them up when they need to be. He enjoys hanging out with friends when not at school. He had been in the woods over the weekend building a tree stand, or something. I like the fact that he was outside enjoying nature and not on a damn video game. He took several tools with him. A bow saw, a hammer, some nails, a batter powered sawzall, a knife, and some wood. So here it is Monday morning. He goes to school much like he always does. While in the hall, he flips his coat over his back. The knife that I had given him fell out on the hall floor. The Assistant principal happened to be right there. So I get a call that I need to pick him up. I was pissed at him for taking the knife to school, but after I calmed down I realized that it was an accident. He gets suspended for 5 days. Then I get told I need to go in for a hearing to find out what his punishment will be. I am confused now. I thought a 5 day suspension was punishment. So I am told that he will spend the rest of the year in alternative school. (jail school) Everyone involved understands that this was an accident. Everyone agrees with how it happened. Yet, there is no room for discussion because of a zero tolerance policy. So now my son misses sports, his friends, an any opportunities he may have had this school year because of a stupid mistake. I can understand the need to not have weapons in school. But I am pretty sure that I was pissed off enough to pull a knife on someone, I could just as well stab them in the eye with a pencil. This system has become completely reactionary and people are afraid to think. It's broke. I know there is nothing I can do for my son, but I hope I can find a way to change the system so the next kid who accidentally brings nail clippers to school, doesn't spend 10 years in state prison.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I am absolutely horrified and very very angry indeed that your child and yourself have been treated in this way. The zero tolerance idea is nothing but a form of bullying , to get us all used to the idea that common sense does not exist and we must just do as we are told because we are not capable of making these decisions ourselves.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is why I refuse to allow my kids into public schools.

This is why homeschooling is superior nowadays to the joke that has become our educational system.

Maybe 15 years ago, public institutions were decent and acceptable.

But these days, the power structure has become so corrupt, ignorant, and blind to the facts, that there is no way in hell I would ever allow either of my children into that nightmare. Hell no.

I would defend my kids to the death from that crap.

Why do I want my kid to grow up to become a idiotic, ignorant, nazi-esque, robot??

Because that is exactly what they are teaching kids. It doesn't matter what the FACTS are, it only matters what the "RULES" say, and no amount of common sense or logic can override that.

Withdraw your child from the system if you can, before he becomes a convict for life.

In those "alternative schools" for "bad kids", they WILL teach your kid crime. They will corrupt him, there is NO WAY to prevent that other than to get him the hell out of there NOW. Even if you have to just sell everything and move tomorrow, do it.

When he is trapped in there with all the "bad kids", they will convert him or beat him to a bloody pulp. That is pretty much the only two pathways available in these corrupt backwards institutions. You know that deep inside.

Get a lawyer, find out what paperwork needs to be done. Withdraw your kid from the system now.

The system is designed to create 100% submissive robots. If they mess up even 1%, they are now a "criminal" and will be treated very badly as a result. This will change the child's life path irreversibly. You must get them out of there now, before it's too late.

Ring up those lawyers now. They will know which route to go.

Best of luck to you and your kid. I hope and pray you escape that idiotic system that relies on stupidity and submission to enforce it's power. Do not submit, and in the meantime, do research and find a way out.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Also, you know back in the day, like in the 50's etc.

Taking a knife to school was not prohibited. Most kids had pocket knives in those days.

Times have changed.

The major change here is underlined, there is less freedom.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Not a new situation and you're obviously not alone. Common sense is so rare these days, it's practically a super power. Every institution out there is hamstrung by rules and policies that are created and presented as ways to make everyone safer because it's "for the children". No one gives a damn about the children. They care about the letter of a rule and the best way to avoid a lawsuit. The fact is, there's no possible way to create a set of rules to take every possible scenario into account, and as soon as someone has the latitude to make a judgment call, someone else will scream, "Bias!" And follow it up with a lawsuit.

Yes, it makes me furious. No, I don't have an answer. I think we've gotten too big, with too many people, too diverse, and no possible way to create a fair and manageable "one size fits all" set of rules, especially in a public school setting where you have such a broad spectrum of situations at home. Some kids have great home lives, some barely have any parenting at all, and what they do have is criminally abusive. How you manage an environment like that, maintain reasonable order, and make it fair without trusting administrators to use some common sense and judgment when handling situations which arise, I have no idea.

How hard would it be to confiscate a "weapon" when it appears, and only go to the extreme of expulsion when one is actually used against someone or brandished?

I wish your son well, and hope it works out for him. It's incredibly stupid and really sucks.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I know a story just like this, but even more messed up.

A friend of mine in highschool was out fishing. He wore the same jacket, found he left his little knife in there.

He actually took the knife to the office, to turn it in, and said he had left it in his pockey by mistake.

THEY EXPELLED HIM FROM SCHOOL.

He did the right thing, did not get caught, and played by the rules, and look what happened. If he had lied and kept the knife in his pocket, he would not have got in trouble. Its like they are supporting liars.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

you have no idea how right you are. While I was sitting in the office with my son and the principal, the resource officer, and the vice principal, the principal told me that if he made any different decision than what has been done in the past, he would either be sued or fired within a short time, so his hands are tied. Then the resource officer tried to justify it by saying if someone pushed my sons buttons, and he had a knife, who knows what would happen. That is where I thought that they might as well outlaw pencils and pens, since they could be used in a heated argument. Sadly, this is all I can do about it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

that story topped mine on the stupid meter.
It just sounds more like a south park episode than real life.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Just one more situation in a long list of them that show how insane things have gotten. I'm genuinely afraid of the high schoolers we're graduating these days. I'm afraid that all the garbage they put up with during these "zero tolerance" times is going to make them explode.

new topics

top topics

join