It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What YOU can do for Kids with Cancer for Christmas. Get a Hair Cut!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
A long time ago my Grandfather read me the story ‘The Gift of the Magi’.

It’s a hauntingly beautiful story of love, sacrifice and faith.

James "Jim" Dillingham Young and his wife Della are a young couple who are very much in love with each other but can barely afford their one-room apartment due to their very bad economic situation. For Christmas, Della decides to buy Jim a chain for his prized pocket watch given to him by his father's father. To raise the funds, she has her long, beautiful hair cut off and sold to make a wig. Meanwhile, Jim decides to sell his watch to buy Della a beautiful set of combs made out of tortoiseshell and jewels for her lovely, knee-length brown hair. Although each is disappointed to find the gift they chose rendered useless, each is pleased with the gift that they received, because it represents their love for one another and their love is eternal.

Since then about every ten years - around Christmas (in accord with the story) and in memory of my Grandmother who died of cancer - I cut my hair.
Off.
All of it.
It’s traumatic and horrific, and I cry - a lot! (And no I will not post my pic now that I'm shorn)!

But a bad hair century is just sooooo nothing compared to being a kid with cancer.

So, you’ve not got a ton a cash to send to charities this year for kids for Christmas?

No problem! Get a haircut!

Donate to Locks of Love!

Added Note:

If you have any other ideas to share with ATS on what you do for your society, your town, for kids and charities during the Holidays please let us know!

peace

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

It is estimated that 80% of all donations come from children who wish to help other children.
source

Wow, that's so beautiful, and so sad all at once...

I really hope ATS can raise 20% a little higher!

peace

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
We have these events every year in Australia.

There is Bluey day where police, emergency and defence members get their heads shaved or coloured for cancer, unfortunately this year was the last time it will be held but they have raised over $20 million over 15 years.

Then there is The Worlds Greatest Shave:

www.worldsgreatestshave.com...

Which is for the leukemia foundation.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Hmmm, maybe ATS should do something like this.

Collectively the we ask, and often, 'What can we do'?

Well - Here's something 'We' can do!

What do you think ATS'ers? Would you be up for something like this?

Thanks tons for the info!

peace

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I've made the mistake of chopping off my hair in a Canadian winter before.

Never again.

This Christmas, give your friend with Cancer the Truth
edit on 9-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
I've made the mistake of chopping off my hair in a Canadian winter before.

Never again.

I shave my hair bald all the time now in london, i just wear a hat same thing. I like bald, never thought i would.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Beautiful thread from a good heart
Around my city there are a lot of toy drives for the children were people can donate gifts for the children who may not get happiness for Christmas. S&F and God bless you and your family. Take care and thanks for caring about the ill/poor youth who are ill or poor but are still children who want to enjoy the year like the rest of the kids..

edit on 12/9/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm currently growing mine out and some of it is already 10 inches but still have some growing to do with other parts. I grew it out to donate to locks of love probably for the same reason as others, to give something for basically nothing other than having to contend with the hair. Luckily I work in a construction related job and I can wear a hat and pull it back into a ponytail. I think I'll get it cut in spring, should be ready by then. I hope others would consider doing the same if possible.
edit on 9-12-2010 by dreampsi because: spell

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I've done it before and it gave me an immense feeling of satisfaction. Now, as a cancer survivor myself...radiation CURED my cancer...I'm about to lop off another foot or so to donate it. My wife takes pains to note that the contribution comes from a guy. Just kinda directs a measure of irony towards those who who regard us as 'hippy scum'.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
This is NOT the thread to further your personal agenda or your own conspiracies..

This is about the "Locks of Love" foundation.

Please post on topic or not at all.

Thank you

Semper

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Awesome Silo13. I donated my hair in October. In our old school district my kids had a male classmate who would grow his hair out specifically to donate. This was a 3rd grade kid, just neat.

My kids picked Toys for Tots as their charity. My 10 yo daughter has a birthday right around Thanksgiving and the only thing she ever wants is a party at the roller rink. For the last 2 years, she has sent invitations out for the party saying no presents please, but she is collecting new unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots. Both years she filled an entire collection bin. I'm really proud of her attitude.

Edit to add: Just so I don't get in trouble
- Silo13 also asked:

Added Note: If you have any other ideas to share with ATS on what you do for your society, your town, for kids and charities during the Holidays please let us know! peace

edit on 9-12-2010 by Mountainmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Locks of Love is a SCAM.

Most of the hair donations are destroyed. Locks of Love will readily admit this if one chooses to look into it.

There are better ways to contribute to the help and well-being of children with cancer, please do your research.

ETA: If one feels that hair donation is the route to take, research, research, research. Even the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program has a better track record then LoL. If you're going to put your time, effort (and in some cases, money) into donating for a cause, make it count for both you and the recipient. Otherwise, what is the point?

edit on 9-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Locks of Love is a SCAM.

Most of the hair donations are destroyed. Locks of Love will readily admit this if one chooses to look into it.

There are better ways to contribute to the help and well-being of children with cancer, please do your research.

Be careful... some of us get our posts removed for bringing up these kinds of "conspiracies".

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Locks of Love is a SCAM.

Actually I did look into it and was told that hair under 10 inches is welcome and is used to offset the costs.

I don't see any problem with that.

Is there something more I should know? IF so would you be kind enough to post a link, a story, a news flash, a carrier pigeon? Something other than just the word SCAM?

ADDED INFO

Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, it still greatly helps to reduce costs.
# Gray hair will be accepted and sold to offset the manufacturing costs.

www.locksoflove.org...

I don’t see the problem here.
They can’t use some types of hair and they can’ use some lengths, so, why should that stop someone from donating?
They can still donate and help offset costs, so, again, I don’t see the problem.

Also:

Locks of Love was Charity of the Day on GoodSearch.com
Tuesday, August 3, 2010.

And they’re also backed by Albertsons Supermarkets.

Just saying...

ALSO:

Ok - So how about mentioning some of them?

Look, I just chopped all my hair off. Now you're saying I shoud'a could'a and I really don't appreciate it.

If you want to give better suggestions, then go for it.

If you want to inform us HOW you can PROVE they are a SCAM?

Go for that too, but all in all your post is disheartening and awful derogatory and honestly I've never read a post from you like this.

I guess you must be having a bad day and for that I'm sorry.

So here's something that might make you feel better!

At least I bet you don't have a crappy hair cut!

peace

edit on 9-12-2010 by silo13 because: Happy Holidays!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
WOW - Thanks to those who’ve also donated hair! That’s so GREAT!

I remember seeing a video (can’t find now of course) on a beauty school who donated time and cosmetics to go into hospitals and do ‘makeovers’ on cancer patients - it was just AMAZING - and so proves, when you look better you feel better!

Wow, the more I think of it I’d really like to see ATS do ‘something’ like this.
Either donate hair, or a drive to donate something (other than money).
My point being, like I said, there are so many posts I read time after time and all asking the same question - ‘What can we do’...

Maybe the site owners will think up something way cool!

*Hint* *Poke*

peace
edit on 9-12-2010 by silo13 because: bold

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I don't have time to do the research and find the links today, hence my suggestion that those who are thinking about using this organization do so, themselves. There have been multiple in-depth investigations regarding LoL, the information is easy to find. I NEVER suggested that someone not donate to the charity of their choice or seek to help those in need. I am saying that if someone is going to do so, make SURE what you think the organization is doing or promoting, is actually what they are doing.

Ok - So how about mentioning some of them?

Maybe you missed the alternative suggestion(s) I posted, in your rush to discredit the post?

I guess you must be having a bad day and for that I'm sorry.

My day is busy, but not going badly. I do hope this is not an attempt to deflect from my proposal that LoL does not do as it promotes in most cases, because making this personal (about me) is a disservice to the topic. Supporting charity organizations is important, I have those I support. However, the need to stress that one should always know exactly what they are supporting cannot be overlooked.

p.s

At least I bet you don't have a crappy hair cut!

peace

Crappy haircuts are a bummer, but it's winter and cute hats/scarves do wonders!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by silo13

multiple in-depth investigations regarding LoL, the information is easy to find.

...yep, it is and its been out there for quite a while...

...lots of donated hair ends up in the trash... very little actually go to kids with cancer and the wigs cost a small fortune (because they're actually more than "just" a wig, so they say)...

...i've participated in locks of love... never questioned where my hair went... was gonna get it cut anyways... i think thats the problem for some folks - they do it for the feel good thang, so it hurts their feelings when they realize how it really works...

www.squidoo.com...

Ninety percent of the children who apply for wigs through Locks of Love have a disease called alopecia areata. Others have trichotillomania, a disorder that leads them to pull out their hair compulsively. Some have suffered burns or trauma, even dog bites. Others have been in car accidents and lost their scalps. Only 3 percent are bald because of cancer, and they usually have had radiation treatment to the brain stem or are on chemotherapy indefinitely. But most cancer patients are not eligible for Locks of Love wigs because their hair will grow back when their chemotherapy ends.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

More stats:

As much as 80 percent of the hair donated to Locks of Love, the best known of the charities, is unusable for its wigs, the group says. Many people are unaware of the hair donation guidelines and send in hair that is gray, wet or moldy, too short, or too processed, some of which is immediately thrown away. Even hair that survives the winnowing may not go to the gravely ill, but may be sold to help pay for charities’ organizational costs.

And an interesting quote:

Every day the hanks of hair arrive, filling some 10 postal bins, representing the best intentions of donors, but so much of it destined for the trash.

“A check would be easier for me,” Ms. Coffman said. “But would the donors get out of it what they do? No.”

Link

Which begs the question: Are people donating to Lol for the children, or for themselves?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
A year and a half ago I home nursed a cancer patient with Leukemia - he had a stem cell transplant and no longer needs home care, he is doing great so far. I was at the Cancer Center a lot, on the childrens ward as well as the adult wards. Many patients cannot even have visitors at times, especially if they are to receive a transplant. They are lonely as well as very sick - anything a person can do for a cancer patient is appreciated. Small personalized pillows to make them comfortable, crocheted or knitted hats, soft blankets (you may want to ask about the material before donating) and personal cards, books, etc. are most appreciated. A visit to the centers near the Holidays to leave a gift and say hello if they are allowed visitors would be wonderful. And of course of your hair is long please donate. My cousin also has Leukemia and losing her hair has been so tramatic for her, she has been fighting this terrible disease for over 3 years. Let's keep these little children in our hearts - thank you for this thread OP!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join