It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yeah I will do a Dark Matter thread soon

If you do a thread on dark matter keep in mind that this is a theory based on the observed phenomenon of galactic motions. I feel that this is a poor theory but to get into why and what I think the cause of these motions are is rather detailed and would take some time to put together. Furthermore I would like to do some research on these motions to make sure I get it as accurate as possible because, as you know, information on these motions and the nature of their movements is hard to find.

If I have some time later I would like to put together a summary of what I mean that will explain the inception of the theory of dark matter and, possibly, an alternate theory. But for now, dark matter is a theory and a poor one at that. In the end I feel dark matter does not exist and neither does dark energy.

edit on 12/15/2010 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If we as humans unite, we can definitely build a pretty fast spacecraft so we can all see the universe in person.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Excellent stuff man.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You blew my mind man. Blew My Mind.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
this is incredibly interesting. it's given me plenty of new theories on top of my older ones. me likes it. thumbs up and the star flag salute.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by badw0lf
According to the OP, our galaxy is the Sagittarius galaxy, which on collision with the Milky Way has left us ensnared in one of the spirals of it.
So we're the Sagittariuns.. Invading the larger and cannibal milky way galaxy!

Nicely put
The irony is that I really am a sagittarian

As am I !
Only an enlightened mind centering all around it in focused view can claim the motto "I See".

Those who deem themselves unfortunate to only exist in orbit to Sagittarius A* can only glimpse the event horizon of true Sagittarian depths. One thing they can never change and dwell in utter desperation of is the nakedness of thier existances before the All Seeing presence.

Being that the case then it MUST be true that the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy indeed is, instead, not a fledgeling star cluster but a remnant of a torn assunder ancient galaxy where (Iron being the last isotope that produces violent discharge) our galactic remnant travelled great distances before being anchored by the Milky Way's gravity well. Our Iron rich Star System that developed our Iron rich homeworld and caused us to exit as Iron rich life forms have evolved into this last phase of existance over a circulatory course of well into millions of years, to utimately repulse upon our demise to a different material form altogether... being that Iron is the end of the chain reactions that have evolved us.

Therefore we must be individual points of brilliant starlight, causing a personal gama ray burst upon our life's demise - becomming therefore creatures of pure unadulterated luminous light, reaching out in all directions and making our presence known, ever so briefly, to the rest of this universe at the unhindered speed of light...

until the portal at the bottom of the gravity well combines space and time to make us timeless Sons of the Watch Maker who we inherited such gifts from.

Thanks Zorg! We are amazed at amazing!...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Dear Zorgon,
I've only just run into this post and it felt like hitting a wall of knowledge.. Truly inspiring and made me feel a little dense, but i'm getting there. I don't totally understand everything, but that in itself is excellent. I like to think and your post is making me think so for that and it's content, delivery and well thought out approach I give you my thanks and a S&F!

Regards,
T

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
HIP 13044 is new blue planet discovered Nov.2010 ..
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.spacedaily.com...
www.youtube.com...

www.2shared.com...
The star HIP 13044 is exactly in the center of this image. Photo ESO

Zoomed
www.2shared.com...
www.youtube.com...

Peace

edit on 18-4-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
On Google Sky..
2h 47m 37s, -36 06' 51

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Or worldwide teleskop..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
All I can say Is WOW
this must have taken you a long time. Where did you research this

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Quite a lot of information here and I am curious about this I must admit. Since the information given is very credible I wonder if the fact that our solar system lies near one of the stretched out arms of the SEG, could some of our past history regarding Nibiru hold some truth? Regarding the three days of darkness referred to in some ancient knowledge be a passing celestial body in between us and the Sun? Could there have been a planet located in between Mars and Jupiter that was destroyed by a passing planet? Could gravitational forces of a passing planet have wreaked havoc on our planet Earth on more than one occasion thus destroying the dinosaurs or causing the devastation to ancient civilizations such as those in South America? These are questions I pose to the ATS community in general. I have no formal training as a cosmologist only the drive and sincere interest to find good solid answers or in the very least a sound theory on the issue.
Thanks.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This idea, while interesting, is completely at odds with all known facts regarding the position and angular momentum of the sun, which lies comfortably within a spiral arm. More detailed scientific explanations have been available for years with only a tiny bit of searching:

Studies of the Sun’s motion relative to the plane of the Milky Way (using the stars, globular clusters, other galaxies, and many other sources) make it a rock-solid certainty that the Sun’s orbit is in fact in the plane of the Milky Way. It’s not plunging through the disk at a high angle at all.

link

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SurfSpace
Quite a lot of information here and I am curious about this I must admit. Since the information given is very credible I wonder if the fact that our solar system lies near one of the stretched out arms of the SEG, could some of our past history regarding Nibiru hold some truth?

reply to post by smurfy

Thanks
Didn't have that paper yet

A Possible Generation Mechanism for the IBEX Ribbon from Outside the Heliosphere

The first all-sky maps from the Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) satellite (McComas et al. 2009a) revealed that the most prominent feature of the sky seen in the 0.2-6 keV Energetic Neutral Atom (ENA) emission is a ‘ribbon’ of enhanced ENA flux (McComas et al., 2009b) forming an almost complete circle in the sky of about 140° diameter and centered on ecliptic/galactic coordinates (λ, β)/(l,b) = (221°, 39°)/(33°,55°)

arxiv.org...

Picture from the OP

A local bubble and streamers... interesting that

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Could this whole thing give credence to Planet X/Nibiru?

The Planet hasn't been hiding behind our sun but is infact part of this Dwarf Galaxy and has entered our solar system as the Milky Way is absorbing it???

Idea's?
edit on 31-10-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I had recently picked up an issue of Astronomy Magazine and inside was an article entitled the New Milky Way. This was the September issue and quite informative. Larger galaxies apparently do absorb smaller galaxies and it shows some examples of this. It's all really quite interesting. I will include a link to the site.

www.astronomy.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
This theory was debunked many years ago.
Is this what ATS has been reduced to? Doesn't anyone bother to do a little bit of research?
This story first broke way back in 2003 and was promptly dismissed:

Milky Way Owes Its Shape to Crashes With Dwarf Galaxy
by Charles Q. Choi, SPACE.com Contributor
Date: 14 September 2011

This image from a computer simulation shows the third impact of the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy as it collides with our Milky Way nearly 2 billion years ago. The collision is thought to have led to our galaxy's star-filled arms. CREDIT: Erik Tollerud

Two collisions with a dwarf galaxy over the last nearly 2 billion years may have been the cause of the Milky Way's spiral arm structure, scientists say.

The new findings hint that impacts with even relatively small galaxies have played an important role in shaping galactic structure throughout the universe, researchers said.

In trying to explain the shape of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, with its prominent spiral arms rooted in a central bar, scientists have traditionally dismissed the influence of outside forces, even though astronomers have seen shape-changing mergers of other galaxies.

For their study, scientists focused on the nearby Sagittarius dwarf galaxy, much of which had been ripped apart by the gravitational pull of the Milky Way, leaving debris that forms a huge but very faint stream of stars around our galaxy. Altogether, this dwarf galaxy might have once been far more substantial, maybe 100 times more massive

Milky Way Owes Its Shape to Crashes With Dwarf Galaxy

Mysterious Galaxy X Around Milky Way May Soon be Found

A simulation of the evolution of hydrogen gas in the Whirlpool Galaxy, M51 (central cross), and its satellite, NGC 5195 (top cross), over a period of 875 million years. The best fit to the current gas distribution implies that what we see today evolved over a period of about 300 million years. The boxes are 456,000 light-years on a side. CREDIT: Sukanya Chakrabarti/UC Berkeley

A dwarf galaxy that is too dim to see but is suspected to orbit our own Milky Way may soon be revealed using a new mathematical technique that analyzes the ripples of gas in spiral galaxies.

The new method was developed by Sukanya Chakrabarti, a post-doctoral fellow and theoretical astronomer at the University of California, Berkeley. She thinks it can be used to detect the hypothetical so-called "Galaxy X" near the Milky Way.

The model may also have applications for detecting mysterious and as-yet inexplicable dark matter, which is thought to make up the bulk of the universe.

"My hope is that this method can serve as a probe of mass distribution and of dark matter in galaxies, in the way that gravitational lensing today has become a probe for distant galaxies," Chakrabarti said in a statement.

Mysterious 'Galaxy X' Around Milky Way May Soon be Found

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is an old theory, likely came to light around 2006. Sounds good to pedestrian observers, especially the part of why the Milky Way is tilted in the sky, which it is always not. Also sited is our ecliptic to our sun is tilted at a near 80ºs to the galactic center, suggesting we are aligned to another system. But what is to say every star system should be orbiting on the same ecliptic as the galactic plane? Nothing.

The real scientific proof that this is just speculative hogwash is the age of the stars of both galaxies, our Milky Way and the dwarf Sagittarius the Milky Way has captured. They are different star classes and different ages. Our sun most resembles the average star native of the Milky Way, not the dwarf Sagittarius galaxy.

Makes for a good story unfortunately is is not sound science and easily dispelled as fiction.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Makes for a good story unfortunately is is not sound science and easily dispelled as fiction.

So Space.com is posting hogwash these days? Hmmm

Well how about NASA?

The SagDEG

The SagDEG wasn't discovered until 1994, both because it is very dim, and because it was obscured by the central part of our galaxy. Though this galaxy is quite big (about 10,000 light years across), it will likely be disrupted by the tidal forces from the Milky Way Galaxy.
- it is so close to us, that some of the SagDEG's stars are actually in the outermost regions of the Milky Way!

So according to NASA Sagittarius stars are already mixing with the Milky Way stars on the outer rim... WE are on the outer rim

Seems they think there is yet another Galaxy we are tearing apart currently... maybe we came from that one

The Canis Major Dwarf

The Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy is only 25,000 light years from the Sun, and 42,000 light years from the Galactic center. It too, is well-hidden by the dust in the plane of the Milky Way - which is why it wasn't discovered until recently.

This galaxy is also being pulled apart by the Milky Way's gravity - as it orbits the Milky Way, it is leaving a long filament of stars, gas, and dust in its wake. This 200,000 light year-long filament is known as the Monoceros Ring, and actually wraps three times around our galaxy! The Canis Major Dwarf galaxy was discovered in the course of the investigation of this Ring, which was first discovered in 2002. At left is an illustration of the Milky Way, the Canis Major Dwarf, and the stream of material coming from the Galaxy.
Illustration Credit & Copyright: R. Ibata (Strasbourg Observatory, ULP) et al., 2MASS, NASA

heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join