It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+272 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!

A long time ago, in another Galaxy not that far away, there was a planet called Earth by current inhabitants that was in a solar system in the Sagittarius Galaxy...

Well current scientists have always been puzzled why the Milky Way is on an angle, and we are moving perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy... in fact currently we are 50 light years out and will move out to 250 light years above the galactic plane before we 'bob' back down.

Recent observations by the Spitzer Infrered telescope have shown that the Milky Way is in collision with the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy... in fact it is absorbing this galaxy. It appears that our solar system was indeed originally part of the Sagittarius Galaxy and has now 'crossed over' into the larger galaxy we call the Milky Way.

I have gathered a lot of material on this and I will link to my site after I pull up the key points.

Scientists Now Know: We're Not From Here!
Summary & comments by Dan Eden for Viewzone

Imagine the shock of growing up in a loving family with people you call "Mum" and "Dad" and then, suddenly, learning that you are actually adopted!

This same sense of shock came as scientists announced that the Sun, the Moon, our planet and its siblings, were not born into the familiar band of stars known as the Milky Way galaxy, but we actually belong to a strange formation with the unfamiliar name of the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy!

How can this be?

Using volumes of data from the Two-Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS), a major project to survey the sky in infrared light led by the University of Massachusetts, the astronomers are answering questions that have baffled scientists for decades and proving that our own Milky Way is consuming one of its neighbors in a dramatic display of ongoing galactic cannibalism. The study published in the Astrophysical Journal, is the first to map the full extent of the Sagittarius galaxy and show in visually vivid detail how its debris wraps around and passes through our Milky Way. Sagittarius is 10,000 times smaller in mass than the Milky Way, so it is getting stretched out, torn apart and gobbled up by the bigger Milky Way.

Our sun is the large yellow spot... you can see where the stream intersects the Milky way and where we are in all this

Animation of it here
www.astro.caltech.edu...
The new study used infrared observations from the Two-Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS).

Scientists have always wondered why the Milky Way is at an angle to us... until now

caption
Our angle is clearly "off" 60 - 90 degrees to the Milky Way in the night sky "Because we are being pulled in from an adjoining galactic stream and obviously now in the final stages of joining with the Milky Way..." May 30th 2006 -- Matt Erwin

"This first full-sky map of Sagittarius shows its extensive interaction with the Milky Way," Majewski said. "Both stars and star clusters now in the outer parts of the Milky Way have been 'stolen' from Sagittarius as the gravitational forces of the Milky Way nibbled away at its dwarf companion. This one vivid example shows that the Milky Way grows by eating its smaller neighbors."

SOURCE: Viewzone Milky Way
viewzone2.com...

All the data I have collected so far on this merger is here;
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Related Links;

Detailed Look at Milky Way Gobbling a Galaxy - Space.com - 24 September 2003
www.space.com...

Two-Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS)
www.space.com...

Animation - Tidal Streams in the Milky Way - Credit: David R. Law Caltech
www.astro.caltech.edu...

Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy

The Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy (SagDEG) is an elliptical loop-shaped satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. The main cluster which, in 1994, was the first to be discovered, is roughly 10,000 light-years in diameter, and is currently about 70,000 light-years from Earth and travelling in a polar orbit at a distance of about 50,000 light-years from the core of the Milky Way (about 1/3 the distance of the Large Magellanic Cloud). Sag DEG should not be confused with Sag DIG, the Sagittarius Dwarf Irregular Galaxy, a small galaxy 3.4 million light-years distant.

Geometry and dynamics

Based on its current trajectory, the Sag DEG main cluster is about to pass through the galactic disc of the Milky Way within the next hundred million years, while the extended loop-shaped ellipse is already extended around and through our local space and on through the Milky Way galactic disc, and in the process of slowly being absorbed into the larger galaxy, calculated at 10,000 times the mass of Sag DEG.

Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

Explanation: Is our Milky Way Galaxy out to lunch? Recent wide field images and analyses now indicate that our home galaxy is actually still in the process of devouring its closest satellite neighbor. This unfortunate neighbor, the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy, is now seen to be part of a larger Sagittarius Tidal Stream, a loose filament of stars, gas, and possibly dark matter that entangles the Milky Way. An artist's depiction of the stream is shown above. Speculation also holds that the Sagittarius Dwarf was once pulled through the Milky Way disk very close to our Sun's current location. An important resulting realization is that galaxies contain a jumble of clumps and filaments of both dim and dark matter.

SOURCE: NASA APOD
antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy / SagDEG
www.solstation.com...

==================================================
Rings Around the Galaxy

Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/R. Hurt (SSC)

Rings Around the Galaxy

Three newly-discovered streams arcing high over the Milky Way Galaxy are remnants of cannibalized galaxies and star clusters. The streams are between 13,000 and 130,000 light-years distant from Earth and extend over much of the northern sky.

Two of the newly discovered streams are almost certainly the remains of ancient star clusters. Known to astronomers as globular clusters, these giant stellar cities contain between tens of thousands and millions of stars. Though only about 150 globular clusters orbit the Milky Way today, they may once have numbered in the thousands.

Over billions of years, the relentless gravitational stresses inflicted on them by our galaxy have slowly torn them apart, leaving behind long, thin streams of stars. Once crowded so closely together that they could sometimes actually collide, these stars are now separated by many light-years, trailing one another at half a million miles an hour through the dark and lonely reaches of the galactic halo.

The third stream is spread over a much larger region of the sky, and is most likely the scattered remains of a dwarf galaxy. Such dwarf galaxies may contain up to 100 million stars, along with sometimes substantial amounts of mysterious "dark matter." While the Milky Way galaxy currently hosts a family of 20 or so known dwarf galaxies, scientists who study the growth of galaxies in the early universe have long been puzzled as to why we don't see hundreds of them.

sscws1.ipac.caltech.edu...

Now while searching this topic... I came across several references to a paper that listed current changes and effects in our solar system...

1.1 A Series of Large PlanetoPhysical Transformations.

The following processes are taking place on the distant planets of our Solar System. But they are, essentially speaking, operationally driving the whole System.

Here are examples of these events:

1.1.1 A growth of dark spots on Pluto [7].

1.1.2 Reporting of auroras on Saturn [8].

1.1.3 Reporting of Uranus and Neptune polar shifts (They are magnetically conjugate planets), and the abrupt large-scale growth of Uranus' magnetosphere intensity.

1.1.4 A change in light intensity and light spot dynamics on Neptune [9,10].

1.1.5 The doubling of the magnetic field intensity on Jupiter (based upon 1992 data), and a series of new states and processes observed on this planet as an aftermath of a series of explosions in July 1994 [caused by "Comet" SL-9] [12]. That is, a relaxation of a plasmoid train [13,14] which excited the Jovian magnetosphere, thus inducing excessive plasma generation [12] and it's release in the same manner as Solar coronal holes [15] inducing an appearance of radiation belt brightening in decimeter band (13.2 and 36 cm), and the appearance of large auroral anomalies and a change of the Jupiter - Io system of currents [12, 14].

Update Note From A.N.D Nov. 1997:
A stream of ionized hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, etc. is being directed to Jupiter from the volcanic areas of Io through a one million amperes flux tube. It is affecting the character of Jupiter's magnetic process and intensifying it's plasma genesis.[Z.I.Vselennaya "Earth and Universe" N3, 1997 plo-9 by NASA data]

1.1.6 A series of Martian atmosphere transformations increasing its biosphere quality. In particularly, a cloudy growth in the equator area and an unusual growth of ozone concentration[16].

Update Note: In September 1997 the Mars Surveyor Satellite encountered an atmospheric density double that projected by NASA upon entering a Mars orbit. This greater density bent one of the solar array arms beyond the full and open stop. This combination of events has delayed the beginning of the scheduled photo mission for one year.

1.1.7 A first stage atmosphere generation on the Moon, where a growing natrium atmosphere is detected that reaches 9,000 km in height. [17].

1.1.8 Significant physical, chemical and optical changes observed on Venus; an inversion of dark and light spots detected for the first time, and a sharp decrease of sulfur-containing gases in its atmosphere [16].

This paper was written by DR. ALEXEI N. DMITRIEV PLANETOPHYSICAL STATE OF THE EARTH AND LIFE and published on The Millennium Group who also is involved in SETI. (See Towards Lunar Archaeology- SETI)
www.tmgnow.com...

What I found most interesting was this reference;

Update Note From A.N.D Nov. 1997:
A stream of ionized hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, etc. is being directed to Jupiter from the volcanic areas of Io through a one million amperes flux tube. It is affecting the character of Jupiter's magnetic process and intensifying it's plasma genesis.[Z.I.Vselennaya "Earth and Universe" N3, 1997 plo-9 by NASA data]

Took me a while to track it down because if you google it you get endless websites that have cloned the paper. The problem was with the "Z.I.Vselennaya" Z.I.Vselennaya is not the name of an author as it seems on looking at the references. "Zemlya i Vselennaya" is the phonetic translation of the Russian "Земля и Вселенная" which is the name of the Magazine "Earth and Universe" printed in Russian. The only reference found so far about this IO/Jupiter gas event is in this repeated article. We have not yet traced the original Data to the Russian periodical so far. The issue is Vol No. 3 1997. However... using different search parameters I did get the story.

In many threads on ATS we have seen mention of weird goings on around Jupiter, not going to list them here now
, but it seems there are indeed starnge things afoot out there...

IOs Interaction with Jupiters Magnetosphere

Io plays a significant role in shaping the Jovian magnetic field. The magnetosphere of Jupiter sweeps up gases and dust from Io's thin atmosphere at a rate of 1 tonne per second. This material is mostly composed of ionized and atomic sulfur, oxygen and chlorine; atomic sodium and potassium; molecular sulfur dioxide and sulfur; and sodium chloride dust. These materials ultimately have their origin from Io's volcanic activity, but the material that escapes to Jupiter's magnetic field and into interplanetary space comes directly from Io's atmosphere. These materials, depending on their ionized state and composition, ultimately end up in various neutral (non-ionized) clouds and radiation belts in Jupiter's magnetosphere and, in some cases, are eventually ejected from the Jovian system.

Surrounding Io (up to a distance of 6 Io radii from the moon's surface) is a cloud of neutral sulfur, oxygen, sodium, and potassium atoms. These particles originate in Io's upper atmosphere but are excited from collisions with ions in the plasma torus (discussed below) and other processes into filling Io's Hill sphere, which is the region where the moon's gravity is predominant over Jupiter. Some of this material escapes Io's gravitational pull and goes into orbit around Jupiter. Over a 20-hour period, these particles spread out from Io to form a banana-shaped, neutral cloud that can reach as far as 6 Jovian radii from Io, either inside Io's orbit and ahead of the satellite or outside Io's orbit and behind the satellite. The collisional process that excites these particles also occasionally provides sodium ions in the plasma torus with an electron, removing those new "fast" neutrals from the torus. However, these particles still retain their velocity (70 km/s, compared to the 17 km/s orbital velocity at Io), leading these particles to be ejected in jets leading away from Io.

en.wikipedia.org...(moon)

Stargate anyone?

Io orbits within a belt of intense radiation known as the Io plasma torus. The plasma in this doughnut-shaped ring of ionized sulfur, oxygen, sodium, and chlorine originates when neutral atoms in the "cloud" surrounding Io are ionized and carried along by the Jovian magnetosphere. Unlike the particles in the neutral cloud, these particles co-rotate with Jupiter's magnetosphere, revolving around Jupiter at 74 km/s. Like the rest of Jupiter's magnetic field, the plasma torus is tilted with respect to Jupiter's equator (and Io's orbital plane), meaning Io is at times below and at other times above the core of the plasma torus. As noted above, these ions' higher velocity and energy levels are partly responsible for the removal of neutral atoms and molecules from Io's atmosphere and more extended neutral cloud. The torus is composed of three sections: an outer, "warm" torus that resides just outside Io's orbit; a vertically extended region known as the "ribbon", composed of the neutral source region and cooling plasma, located at around Io's distance from Jupiter; and an inner, "cold" torus, composed of particles that are slowly spiraling in toward Jupiter. After residing an average of 40 days in the torus, particles in the "warm" torus escape and are partially responsible for Jupiter's unusually large magnetosphere, their outward pressure inflating it from within.Particles from Io, detected as variations in magnetospheric plasma, have been detected far into the long magnetotail by New Horizons. To study similar variations within the plasma torus, researchers measure the ultraviolet-wavelength light it emits. While such variations have not been definitively linked to variations in Io's volcanic activity (the ultimate source for material in the plasma torus), this link has been established in the neutral sodium cloud.

Jupiter's magnetic field lines, which Io crosses, couples Io's atmosphere and neutral cloud to Jupiter's polar upper atmosphere through the generation of an electric current known as the Io flux tube.[50] This current produces an auroral glow in Jupiter's polar regions known as the Io footprint, as well as aurorae in Io's atmosphere. Particles from this auroral interaction act to darken the Jovian polar regions at visible wavelengths. The location of Io and its auroral footprint with respect to the Earth and Jupiter has a strong influence on Jovian radio emissions from our vantage point: when Io is visible, radio signals from Jupiter increase considerably. The Juno mission, planned for the next decade, should help to shed light on these processes. The Jovian magnetic field lines that do get past Io's ionosphere also induce an electric current, which in turn creates an induced magnetic field, within Io's interior. Io's induced magnetic field is thought to be generated within a partially molten, silicate magma ocean 50 kilometers beneath the moon's surface. Similar induced fields were found at the other Galilean satellites by Galileo, generated within liquid water oceans in the interiors of those moons.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
WOW!!! Absolutely an amazing report. I am only able to brush through it ATM...off to indentured servitude! Great job none-the-less. S & F! (And I NEVER say that)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Additional Note;

I mentioned that we are moving up and are now currently 50 light years above the plane of the Galaxy. Forgot to add the detail..

The Solar system is also moving upwards, at 90 degrees to the plane of the Milky Way, at 4.34 miles per second or 15,624 MPH. But we are actually leaving the Galaxy, out about 50 light years now and will be moving out to 250 light years before it reverses. Details of the mechanics of this are explained in the link below. We also crossed the Galactic plane 2 million years ago.

That was part of a piece I did on the speed of the Earth for and armchair astronaut...

What is the Speed of the Earth?
www.thelivingmoon.com...

The upward motion is but one of the vector factors in determining how fast we are moving... but WHY we are moving perpendicular to the plane might be easier to explain if we are just merging with the Milky Way..

Original link on the upward motion

Stanford University - What is the speed of the Solar System?
solar-center.stanford.edu...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
dude...

you rock.

what a great read.

true or not, we will never know, at least, not in this lifetime, but damn if its not one of the funnest reads I've had on ATS for a while!

as usual with you Zorgon, S&F

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The Milkey way is so fascinating. I find it beautiful. I love learning more and more about the nature of our galaxy. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
thread of the month!! stars and flag!

someone else mentioned this in a thread a few days ago but didn't list any sources, so while it seemed plausible I didn't buy it. But this thread changes everything.

no wonder I have never felt like I belonged in this galaxy

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
*Mindmeld*

Will someone please just tell me whats going on?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Recent observations by the Spitzer Infrered telescope have shown that the Milky Way is in collision with the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy... in fact it is absorbing this galaxy. It appears that our solar system was indeed originally part of the Sagittarius Galaxy and has now 'crossed over' into the larger galaxy we call the Milky Way.

I have gathered a lot of material on this and I will link to my site after I pull up the key points.

That pretty much sums it up. I think

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Just made an account for the sole reason to flag this thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
brilliant z

A+

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Sagittarius here we come hey? Sounds cool. What does this mean for us earthlings in this lifetime?

Anything different?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Star and Flag. This is the kind of thread that makes it worthwile cruising around ATS. It's kind of nice to know that what we think we know not necessarily is a fact in a greater context; whatever answers we get, there is another question to comtemplate behind the next corner ...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Man, do we get around.
Too cool.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I was speaking to someone about this 3-4 years ago, apparently there are 3 dwarf galaxies colliding with the milky way and we are in one of them. There were some papers out about it years ago with some very interesting points.

Great thread i love this subject

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Again ATS never fails to amaze. I was thinking of this only yesterday in a response I posted on global warming (trust me there is a correlation albeit subtle) and viola!. What a brilliantly pieced together post with amazing imagery. You’ve done yourself proud!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Absolutely nothing in our lifetime, but I'm only guessing. It seems to be having somewhat of an effect on our solar system (particularly the distant planets) if I have read zorgons post correctly.

It's those poor Saggitariuns I feel sorry for
Although I am left wondering if they taste as good as the real thing...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a040cdb5d7fa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Great thread!

So if some of our neighboring planets are already feeling the effects, how far away are we?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
A little more info here

Page 1
viewzone2.com...

Page 2
viewzone2.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Ha I loved that thread!

S&F for you!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Impressive thread, thanks for sharing this science. S+F

I didn't know our Solar System is travelling away from the elliptical plane of the Milky Way (already 50 light years!!), I thought it was just the opposite.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join