It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow: Prime Minister says Army is on standby Snow -20c

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The Prime Minister said the Government was holding meetings ''at effectively the Cobra level'' on the prolonged cold weather and snowfall, which is the worst for December since 1981.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Once in a lifetime event

Meteorologist Brian Gaze said the Siberian weather could bring more than six inches of snow and temperatures of -20°C.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

"This cold spell is a once-in-a-lifetime event. It's increasingly likely it will get even worse later next week, persisting through

Why are the Brits moaning? Here in the US we get even deeper snow!

Well 3 simple points.

1. In the UK we do not have Snow/Winter tyres because of the lack of snow we usually get, so when we do get snow this happens

Cars, Busses, anything with wheels cannot drive on the snow, even emergency vehicles slide everywhere.

2. We do not have enough snow ploughs, again due to the lack of snow we do not have the proper equipment to deal with it when it does come on a rare chance like this year, about 3 snow ploughs per major city is about right.

3. Housing durability, again due to the rare cold, our pipes and plumbing isnt insulated enough, meaning now we have pipes exploding everywhere, leaving a lot of old people without heat, and because of this 13 people have died due to the cold..

This is crazy

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

its " the worst for December since 1981."
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Nothing too special. Just buy some cocoa and make hot chocolate?

edit on 9-12-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I hope it gets so cold their clocks freeze. Even today the bbc is calling for global warming as a matter of US policy thrust. So sick of these see through nwo plans. If I had been a little more thoughtful, I'd have saved all the clippings from when I used to look at newspapers. There were scads of people from england lamenting that their kids will never see snowfall.

I believe the snow began rather the instant your nwo cronies signed legislation that October day a couple of years ago...first time it snowed that early in 78 years....

Hey...with a few dashes of the pen your leaders tried to rope you into the global government using globalwarming as a catalyst. You ought to be thanking God.

edit on 9-12-2010 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
i love the winter so im fine with that

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Just recently we had a warm week, and apparently the worst freezing-rain-storm for the better part of the century...

Imagine a layer of ice, the constant base-coat on the ground for winter here, only it's being constantly polished and lubricated by the rain...

As soon as I stepped foot out of my driveway, I started sliding down my hill, and I probably fell down 20 times on the 6-mile walk to town.

The gentle slope on either side of the roads was just as slippery and once you start sliding you just can't stop. I brought my bike because I figured I could ride once I got moving, but the slant of the roads was just murder...

All good and fun - I'm glad that people up here are used to bad road conditions, and there were a lot of traffic accidents (a firetruck hit a woman I know's van after sliding at a snail's pace for over a hundred feet) but it's really scary to think about something like that happening in a highly populated place where people are terrified of a few inches and a few degrees below zero.
edit on 9-12-2010 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well my UK friends some driving advice from Canada.

1. Locked up wheels are no good. Only turning tires get traction. Spinning tires are useless.

2. Use a lower gear and keep your speed down and start slowing down earlier than you normally would

3. Give lots of space between vehicles.

4. Order some tire chains

5. Buy a shovel and a couple of bags of salt and throw them in the "Boot"

Don't drive if you don't have to.

The transit bus made me laugh. Whoever driving that is a moron. Speaking as a former transit driver who's driven buses in snow, there is no point being out in conditions like that. You have an uncontrollable 53 000lbs vehicle. Smartest thing to do is pull over and wait for plow/salt/sand truck. That driver only endangered himself, his passengers and all others near him.
edit on 9-12-2010 by DEEZNUTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
One way to stop on an icy road. Put the transmission in neutral and pump you're brakes. As far as pipes bursting, right now the temp outside is minus 12 C, all my faucets are turned on, just a trickle. My furnace has been off for the last week, I ran out of fuel. I won't have money to get more till next week. I'm running an electric space heater and my electric range. My electric bill will be sky high, at least I'm warm. It snowed here for two days, maybe four inches of snow. The cities south of us got it worse, Syracuse NY is still digging out. One of the good things about winter even when it's bad, is that next time it happens, you'll be prepared.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Good post thankyou: The weather around the globe is different !! Does anyone ask themselves or doesnt someone say to you "what weird weather" we having... Well does anybody question why ? And lets have all the experts reply.. but hey its happening and its happening for a reason !!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by starless and bible black

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If you are implying that the cold spell in the UK is somehow proof of the nonexistence of global warming, I suggest that you go back and research the topic more thoroughly. Looking back even to the “The Inconvenient Truth” (2004), and being shown in moves such as “The Day After Tomorrow”(2006), and books like “The Coming Global Superstorm”(1999), it has been theorized that a slowing Gulf Stream Current, due to salinity changes from fresh melt water intrusion, would end the temperate UK winters and eventually result in a global ice age:

en.wikipedia.org...
The North Atlantic Current (North Atlantic Drift and the North Atlantic Sea Movement) is a powerful warm ocean current that continues the Gulf Stream northeast. West of Ireland it splits in two. One branch (the Canary Current) goes south while the other continues north along the coast of northwestern Europe. It is thought to have a considerable warming influence on the climate, although a minority have disputed this.

So if you know anything about the Global Warming Model, you should realize that this colder weather supports the theory of global warming rather then disproves it. There will be other strange weather occurrences as well, such as shifts in the amount of rainfall over certain areas. The idea is not that the world will get exceptionally hot and we will never have winter again; to the contrary, it will only get hot enough to interfere with the existing circulations, leading to shifts of local climates, and resulting in an eventual ice age.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/9/2010 by defcon5 because: SP

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

We are getting weird weather down here in Aus aswell. We have been in a drought for most of this decade, and now most of the east coast is flooding. Mind you we have just started summer here, usually mid 30 degree days and I think we have only had a couple over 30 so far. Dried up rivers are almost breaking there banks, it is very weird.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Good luck my British friends! One bit of advice: Learn to PUMP your brakes. Trust me, it will help.

reply to post by defcon5

Thanks, for the clarity friend.

edit on 9-12-2010 by Animal because: addition.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Another good thing to do is find an empty parking lot somewhere that has lots of snow and practice recovering from a skid and practice braking. It's a lot of fun too!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
The Prime Minister said the Government was holding meetings ''at effectively the Cobra level'' on the prolonged cold weather and snowfall, which is the worst for December since 1981.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Once in a lifetime event

Meteorologist Brian Gaze said the Siberian weather could bring more than six inches of snow and temperatures of -20°C.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

"This cold spell is a once-in-a-lifetime event. It's increasingly likely it will get even worse later next week, persisting through

Why are the Brits moaning? Here in the US we get even deeper snow!

Well 3 simple points.

1. In the UK we do not have Snow/Winter tyres because of the lack of snow we usually get, so when we do get snow this happens

Cars, Busses, anything with wheels cannot drive on the snow, even emergency vehicles slide everywhere.

2. We do not have enough snow ploughs, again due to the lack of snow we do not have the proper equipment to deal with it when it does come on a rare chance like this year, about 3 snow ploughs per major city is about right.

3. Housing durability, again due to the rare cold, our pipes and plumbing isnt insulated enough, meaning now we have pipes exploding everywhere, leaving a lot of old people without heat, and because of this 13 people have died due to the cold..

This is crazy

I'm afraid not all parts of the UK fit your 3 points. Here in Aberdeenshire we cover all these points well, but like i said on another of these pointless threads...its the mentality that lets us down, not the cold weather.

6 inches of snow and -20oC??? Honestly, is that all....

Its lucky London (or england in general) isnt in Scotland...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here in Canada it is not uncommon for the road side snow banks to be just a couple of feet shorter then the telephone poles...
fully loaded transports travel doen the iced up rivers and lakes

snowmobile season
we get to drive a 120 MPH on the bigger snow machines
or I65 Mph in the scoots ( fibergalss boat hulls ) with aero engines and propellors
ice fishing

winter can be a lot of fun if you stand up to it face to face
and embrace the beauty of it.

stay safe UK
edit on 12-12-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by starless and bible black

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If you are implying that the cold spell in the UK is somehow proof of the nonexistence of global warming, I suggest that you go back and research the topic more thoroughly. Looking back even to the “The Inconvenient Truth” (2004), and being shown in moves such as “The Day After Tomorrow”(2006), and books like “The Coming Global Superstorm”(1999), it has been theorized that a slowing Gulf Stream Current, due to salinity changes from fresh melt water intrusion, would end the temperate UK winters and eventually result in a global ice age:

en.wikipedia.org...
The North Atlantic Current (North Atlantic Drift and the North Atlantic Sea Movement) is a powerful warm ocean current that continues the Gulf Stream northeast. West of Ireland it splits in two. One branch (the Canary Current) goes south while the other continues north along the coast of northwestern Europe. It is thought to have a considerable warming influence on the climate, although a minority have disputed this.

So if you know anything about the Global Warming Model, you should realize that this colder weather supports the theory of global warming rather then disproves it. There will be other strange weather occurrences as well, such as shifts in the amount of rainfall over certain areas. The idea is not that the world will get exceptionally hot and we will never have winter again; to the contrary, it will only get hot enough to interfere with the existing circulations, leading to shifts of local climates, and resulting in an eventual ice age.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/9/2010 by defcon5 because: SP

I'm afraid this doesnt prove anything...especially when the word THOUGHT or THEORY is involved. The Gulf Stream impact is not entirely known so no seriously logical explaination for obscure weather can be directly drawn from it. It may very well be a contributing factor but it sure wont be the stand alone factor for plummeting the NH into a new ice age.

More importantly, the Gulf Stream doesnt affect weather in Aus or anywhere else that is experiencing strange or abnormal weather. In this circumstance i would suggest La Nina or El Nino was more of a cause/effect, apart of course from solar output, which i would arguably look at first rather than sea currents. The sun is the only certainty that can alter world wide weather.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Here in Canada it is not uncommon for the road side snow banks to be just a couple of feet shorter then the telephone poles...
fully loaded transports travel doen the iced up rivers and lakes

snowmobile season
we get to drive a 120 MPH on the bigger snow machines
or I65 Mph in the scoots ( fibergalss boat hulls ) with aero engines and propellors
ice fishing

winter can be a lot of fun if you stand up to it face to face
and embrace the beauty of it.

stay safe UK
edit on 12-12-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Absolutely Danbones, if people here in the UK took the time to go upto the mountains in winter to the ski resorts or something and experienced "real" snow/cold events then maybe they'd embrace the cold weather as a normal every year event.

Its the MSM here that are sacring people and throwing things into turmoil...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

If London or England in general was Scotland, we would most likely be better prepared.

As London or some parts of England hasn't had to deal with this sort of weather for a good few years, we are not prepared.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Not prepared, huh? Not enough of the right equipment, inadequate / inappropriate housing and clothing, wrong kind of stuff generally.

Climate change sucks.

[btw - I'm in Winnipeg in a major freeze - wrong for this early in the winter - it's -26/30 Celsius, with windchill to -40. I don't even want to know how that translates in Farenheit. I'm hiding.]

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Just throwing this one out there.. but do you think they know something we dont about the weather? or is putting the army on stand just be something that would happen normally

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Im around the great lakes and I don't know if there is some sort of warming effect because of that but it's been hovering around 2 degrees, I remember it being colder in the past so maybe our weather is changing for the better

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join