It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is the best browser to protect your privacy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Hi,

In this era of technology I know we are not 100% protected from surveillance but I think some browsers are better equipped than others to safeguard your privacy. I tend to think Firefox has better protection but I want to know what ATS members have to say about this.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Blow up your computer, that should do it.

2nd line

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by recycled
Blow up your computer, that should do it.

2nd line

That's the last option
Which browser are you using?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Nothing fancy.
I'm nobody special.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and if not then...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by recycled
Nothing fancy.
I'm nobody special.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and if not then...

Great...anybody else wants to share?

Firefox, Explorer, Safari or Chrome?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I've been using Firefox for a few years and have never had a problem but as the previous poster said, I'm nobody also.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Define protect your privacy..
like...you want to not be traced back to your home...or you don't want the next person on your computer to see you been looking at pr0n, or..?

incidently, I recommend downloading and installing the free CCleaner app. its free, and wipes away areas of your HD most people forget or never knew existed.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
lemme start with, well im a nobody too, i would say opera or firefox. and get the right addons etc.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I would say Firefox, especially with some good add-ons. And if you're using FF on a Linux system, even better. Here are some good add-ons:

Security:

KeyScrambler Personal

KeyScrambler Personal encrypts your keystrokes at the kernel driver level to protect your information from keyloggers.

HTTPS Everywhere

Encrypt the web! HTTPS Everywhere is a Firefox extension to protect your communications by enabling HTTPS encryption automatically on sites that are known to support it, even when you type URLs or follow links that omit the https: prefix.

Verify Redirect

Verify Redirect will help you make sure you are going to the website you are expected to be redirected to if you follow a shortened URL--or any URL that's redirecting for that matter.

ShowIP

Show the IP address(es) of the current page in the status bar. It also allows querying custom information services by IP (right mouse button) and hostname (left mouse button), like whois, netcraft. Additionally you can copy the IP address to the clipboard. This...

Privacy:

BetterPrivacy

Ever wondered why you are still tracked though you tried everything to prevent it? BetterPrivacy is a safeguard which protects from usually not deletable LSO's on Google, YouTube, Ebay...

WOT - Safe Browsing Tool

Would you like to know which websites you can trust? The WOT add-on is a safe surfing tool for your browser. Traffic-light rating symbols show which websites you can trust when you search, shop and surf on the Web.

ipFlood

IPFlood generates random IP according to the settings you define and uses them to fake the use of a proxy. It will allow you to be fully anonymous on several websites and applications and will sow more doubt on the others... IP address is no longer a trusted data...

Torbutton

Torbutton provides a button to securely and easily enable or disable the browser's use of Tor. It is currently the only addon that will safely manage your Tor browsing to prevent IP address leakage, cookie leakage, and general privacy attacks.

Advert/Script-Blocking:

NoScript

The best security you can get in a web browser! Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks.

Adblock Plus

Annoyed by adverts? Troubled by tracking? Bothered by banners? Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web.

Ghostery

Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing and block them with Ghostery.

NOTE: Please be aware using ad-blocking software on this website is against the T&C.

edit on 9-12-2010 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Well this isn't a browser but ixquick.com is a search engine that's supposed to be private. It says it doesn't record ip address and such.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Exeas because: Spelling error

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I like Comodo Dragon.

It's a secured version of Chrome.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

I'd never even heard of that web browser, I'm trying it out now, it looks pretty good. Comodo make good software, this web browser is probably more secure than Firefox without any add-ons.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
All current browsers will report your MAC address and identifying information to those that request it. There is NO current browser out now that will give you privacy. NONE.

Current operating systems were created to remove your anonymity and lock down a hardware serial number to identify you as well.

If you want to remain anonymous I'd build a system running Windows 95 with an old Internet Explorer browser and connect to the internet in internet cafe's with open wifi. The hardware you are using must not have been bought using a credit card. The hardware serial number can be traced back to you. Pay cash and buy it second hand.

Being anonymous on the internet today is doable. Just not with using current software, you have to go old school.

Most places where public Wifi is available has security cameras, so if someone wanted to know who you are they can find out. You could drive around and find peoples home wireless networks which are open...and park your car near their home and connect thru them without them knowing it...surveillance free.

We have no privacy on the internet today if you are using current software.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thank you all. I installed 2 new adons and am checking the Ixquick search engine.

So there is no way to hide your MAC address?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CiviLiberties

Nothing, browsers are for the fastest access to the internet, get a good firewall for misc junk but for privacy you need a nontracable ip address that is not attached to you in any way. If this question is only not to be seen by the folks here and trace routers, check Firefox extension switch proxy. TOR will work if you are scared by the big boys but the information can still be collected and later decrypted.

Look up Carnivore on Wiki, the old stuff I know about personally and now the new and improved Einstein 2, nothing can stop that. You can only disconnect the information with your ip by way of an anonymous proxy server and this is still easily traced, and then encrypt but everything has been hacked so that is just a time delay. With the addition of IPv6 you will not be safe with anything yet made.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Firefox through Tor

About as anonymous as you can get

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Best thing you can do is get linux and use that, surely its safer than windows, and has plenty of apps.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Bigtimecheater is right, use the Tor program offered through firefox, then your IP changes with every log in~
Bigtimecheater

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I've heard, but haven't tried, Chrome Iron is supposed to be privacy conscious. All the function of the original Chrome, minus the google tracers. I would imagine one would still have to add ad-block and ghostery to minimize the marketing/advertising tracers though.
edit on 9-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Sorry to bump this thread back up, I just needed to correct some things said.

All current browsers will report your MAC address and identifying information to those that request it. There is NO current browser out now that will give you privacy. NONE.

Wrong. Websites can't get your MAC address, not to mention MAC address's can easily be spoofed and are generally used in local networks, not over the internet. stackoverflow.com...

Current operating systems were created to remove your anonymity and lock down a hardware serial number to identify you as well.

Wrong again, software applications can potentially get hardware serial numbers, but websites can never access that information unless you have a virus or something...but you are correct, having second hand hardware bought with cash is safer in case malicious methods are used to retrieve your serial numbers.

If you want to remain anonymous I'd build a system running Windows 95 with an old Internet Explorer browser

There's no point...get Ubuntu or something.

However, websites CAN request information about what type of web browser you are using, and even what operating system you are running...but that can easily be spoofed as well with this Firefox add-on: User Agent Switcher.

top topics

join