It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: House bars moving Gitmo detainees to US soil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

The House of Representatives on Wednesday approved legislation to prohibit moving terrorism suspects from the military prison at Guantanamo Bay to U.S. soil, a blow to President Barack Obama's efforts to prosecute them in criminal courts.

The proposed legislation prevents moving such prisoners to the United States under any circumstances by prohibiting the administration from spending any money to do so.

Well this is a quite interesting development and a definite blow to President Obama’s promise of closing down Guantanamo Bay prison detention center and bringing the prisoners to US territory to be prosecuted rightfully under United States law.

Any possibilities of that have now been immediately dashed by the House of Representatives barring that from happening and denying any funds for the President to do so.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well this is a quite interesting development and a definite blow to President Obama’s promise of closing down Guantanamo Bay prison detention center and bringing the prisoners to US territory to be prosecuted rightfully under United States law.

Personally I don't think it's a blow to Obama at all..
I think it was one of his promises he never intended to keep..
There is no way they could hold these so called terrorists on US soil, under US law..

I can honestly say I NEVER thought it would happen..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I fail to see what the issue is overall with giving these chaps a trial on american soil.

what the hell are the right afraid of anyhow?
If some are found innocent, then send em back to afhganistan once the war is over as you do with any other enemy combatant during a war..until then, hold them.
Seems to me that if we don't judge them, then letting all of them go once the war is over will be the default move.

I don't want to see potential criminals (not soldiers or resistance fighters from the invasion, but actual 9/11 style terror criminals) walk away after its all said and done...nor do I want to be known as living in the country that will eternally hold enemy combatants forever without any justice.

The right really needs to "Man up" and stop being obstructionist cowards...else the end result will be the rest walking away in a few years anyhow.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I don't want to see potential criminals (not soldiers or resistance fighters from the invasion, but actual 9/11 style terror criminals) walk away after its all said and done...nor do I want to be known as living in the country that will eternally hold enemy combatants forever without any justice.

On american soil many difficult questions would be asked...
Firstly it must be pointed out that america is not at war with Afghanistan..
That clouds the issue..
Also, a lot of these detainees were NOT captured by US forces, but handed over (for a fee) by Afghan locals..

In a country you are NOT at war with it would be damn hard to prove who is an enemy combatant..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by SaturnFX

On american soil many difficult questions would be asked...
Firstly it must be pointed out that america is not at war with Afghanistan..
That clouds the issue..
Also, a lot of these detainees were NOT captured by US forces, but handed over (for a fee) by Afghan locals..

In a country you are NOT at war with it would be damn hard to prove who is an enemy combatant..

No...we are offically at war with Afhganistan
The ultimatum was given, hand over OBL, or we declare war...they failed, we bombed after congress gave approval for war.

Am I mistaken here? This is the facts as far as I know them to be.

top topics

join